Problem with e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) Slackware -current. RC2 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Problem with e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) Slackware -current. RC2 - Slackware ; Does anyone have this problem on Slackware -current when trying to check a floppy having ext2 FS: # e2fsck -v /dev/fd0 e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) Error determining size of the physical device: Device or resource busy I see from Google that ...

  1. Problem with e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) Slackware -current. RC2

    Does anyone have this problem on Slackware -current when trying to
    check a floppy having ext2 FS:

    # e2fsck -v /dev/fd0
    e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    Error determining size of the physical device: Device or resource busy

    I see from Google that this was reported last year. I can only find
    one instance in the change log:
    a/e2fsprogs-1.39-i486-1.tgz: Upgraded to e2fsprogs-1.39.

    Thanks
    Ken P.

  2. Re: Problem with e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) Slackware -current. RC2

    On 2007-07-01, Ken P wrote:
    > Does anyone have this problem on Slackware -current when trying to
    > check a floppy having ext2 FS:
    >
    > # e2fsck -v /dev/fd0
    > e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    > Error determining size of the physical device: Device or resource busy

    From http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/e2f...ease.html#1.40

    Fix e2fsck get_size logic so that it will work with the Linux floppy
    driver. The Linux floppy driver is a bit different from the other block
    device drivers, in that if the device has been opened with O_EXCL, it
    disallows another open(), even if the second open() does not have the
    O_EXCL flag. (Addresses Debian Bug: #410569)

    Of course, that upgrade's *probably* not going to happen for 12.0, as
    it's *much* too close to release, and e2fsprogs-1.39 is otherwise
    well-tested and stable. Since the bug is biting you, you might consider
    pulling the source and building a package yourself with the SlackBuild
    script and associated files in the source/ directory on the Slackware
    mirror.

    RW

  3. Re: Problem with e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) Slackware -current. RC2

    Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2007-07-01, Ken P wrote:
    >> Does anyone have this problem on Slackware -current when trying to
    >> check a floppy having ext2 FS:
    >>
    >> # e2fsck -v /dev/fd0
    >> e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
    >> Error determining size of the physical device: Device or resource busy

    > From http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/e2f...ease.html#1.40
    >
    > Fix e2fsck get_size logic so that it will work with the Linux floppy
    > driver. The Linux floppy driver is a bit different from the other block
    > device drivers, in that if the device has been opened with O_EXCL, it
    > disallows another open(), even if the second open() does not have the
    > O_EXCL flag. (Addresses Debian Bug: #410569)
    >
    > Of course, that upgrade's *probably* not going to happen for 12.0, as
    > it's *much* too close to release, and e2fsprogs-1.39 is otherwise
    > well-tested and stable. Since the bug is biting you, you might consider
    > pulling the source and building a package yourself with the SlackBuild
    > script and associated files in the source/ directory on the Slackware
    > mirror.

    Thanks, that fixes the problem.

    # e2fsck -v /dev/fd0
    e2fsck 1.40 (29-Jun-2007)
    /dev/fd0: clean, 16/184 files, 154/1440 blocks

    Ken P

+ Reply to Thread