Copy a dvd - Slackware

This is a discussion on Copy a dvd - Slackware ; Hi all I am having a problem With Slack V11 or should I say geting it to do what I want. I have a dvd which isn't copy protected & is 150min long & I want to copy it to ...

  1. Copy a dvd

    Hi all
    I am having a problem With Slack V11 or should I say geting it to do
    what I want.
    I have a dvd which isn't copy protected & is 150min long & I want to
    copy it to a 4.7GB dvd
    I created an iso image with K3b of 7.6 GB.
    I have tried acidrip to create mpg files but the aren't the full
    correct size ie when I play them they are short.
    I tried again with the image file & they are a bit bigger.
    I have tried dvdauther with the dvd an get a seg fault.
    My question.
    What is the easiest way to either create an image from the dvd that is
    4.7GB.
    I am new to this & seem to be getting no where.
    I have looked on the web & tried all sorts but nothing work correctly.
    Is this a simple thing to do, or am I asking too much of linux
    (Slack).
    By the way I only have one dvd RW, & I haven't got the room to add
    another one.

    Thanks in advance.
    Lez

  2. Re: Copy a dvd

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:59:53 -0700, Lez wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I am having a problem With Slack V11 or should I say geting it to do
    > what I want.
    > I have a dvd which isn't copy protected & is 150min long & I want to
    > copy it to a 4.7GB dvd
    > I created an iso image with K3b of 7.6 GB. I have tried acidrip to
    > create mpg files but the aren't the full correct size ie when I play
    > them they are short. I tried again with the image file & they are a bit
    > bigger. I have tried dvdauther with the dvd an get a seg fault. My
    > question.
    > What is the easiest way to either create an image from the dvd that is
    > 4.7GB.
    > I am new to this & seem to be getting no where. I have looked on the web
    > & tried all sorts but nothing work correctly. Is this a simple thing to
    > do, or am I asking too much of linux (Slack).

    What you really want to do does not seem totally related to what
    you're trying to do !?
    Here's what I globally understood of your post, please correct
    and add some precisions where needed :-)

    1. You have a DVD that holds 7.6GB physically
    2. You want to copy it into a 4.7G DVD (that's 4.2GB)
    3. as you tried to "create" mpg files I'd suppose this is
    either a MPEG-2 movie DVD or a MPEG-1.3 musical
    collection DVD

    Depending on what are the true options I'd suggest to use
    mplayer/mencoder (maybe or/and transcode)

    Your de(s)cr(yi)ption of your K3B use and results is
    a total smokescreen :-)

  3. Re: Copy a dvd

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:59:53 -0700, Lez wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I am having a problem With Slack V11 or should I say geting it to do
    > what I want.
    > I have a dvd which isn't copy protected & is 150min long & I want to
    > copy it to a 4.7GB dvd
    > I created an iso image with K3b of 7.6 GB. I have tried acidrip to
    > create mpg files but the aren't the full correct size ie when I play
    > them they are short. I tried again with the image file & they are a bit
    > bigger. I have tried dvdauther with the dvd an get a seg fault. My
    > question.
    > What is the easiest way to either create an image from the dvd that is
    > 4.7GB.
    > I am new to this & seem to be getting no where. I have looked on the web
    > & tried all sorts but nothing work correctly. Is this a simple thing to
    > do, or am I asking too much of linux (Slack).
    > By the way I only have one dvd RW, & I haven't got the room to add
    > another one.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Lez

    k9copy

    --
    i.

  4. Re: Copy a dvd

    loki harfagr wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:59:53 -0700, Lez wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >> I am having a problem With Slack V11 or should I say geting it to do
    >> what I want.
    >> I have a dvd which isn't copy protected & is 150min long & I want to
    >> copy it to a 4.7GB dvd
    >> I created an iso image with K3b of 7.6 GB. I have tried acidrip to
    >> create mpg files but the aren't the full correct size ie when I play
    >> them they are short. I tried again with the image file & they are a bit
    >> bigger. I have tried dvdauther with the dvd an get a seg fault. My
    >> question.
    >> What is the easiest way to either create an image from the dvd that is
    >> 4.7GB.
    >> I am new to this & seem to be getting no where. I have looked on the web
    >> & tried all sorts but nothing work correctly. Is this a simple thing to
    >> do, or am I asking too much of linux (Slack).

    > What you really want to do does not seem totally related to what
    > you're trying to do !?
    > Here's what I globally understood of your post, please correct
    > and add some precisions where needed :-)
    >
    > 1. You have a DVD that holds 7.6GB physically
    > 2. You want to copy it into a 4.7G DVD (that's 4.2GB)
    > 3. as you tried to "create" mpg files I'd suppose this is
    > either a MPEG-2 movie DVD or a MPEG-1.3 musical
    > collection DVD
    >
    > Depending on what are the true options I'd suggest to use
    > mplayer/mencoder (maybe or/and transcode)
    >
    > Your de(s)cr(yi)ption of your K3B use and results is
    > a total smokescreen :-)

    to rip the dvd use dvdrip then to cut file down use avidemux if you have
    copied the file to the hard drive just use avidemux.

    your mistake was creating an iso image

  5. Re: Copy a dvd

    Ivan Rajkovic wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:59:53 -0700, Lez wrote:
    >

    > k9copy

    Worked a treat, once I had installed the packages needed.
    The web site tells you what you need, I like that.

    Thanks for the help

    Lez

  6. Re: Copy a dvd

    darklight wrote:

    > to rip the dvd use dvdrip then to cut file down use avidemux if you have
    > copied the file to the hard drive just use avidemux.
    >
    > your mistake was creating an iso image

    It wasn't a mistake to create an image, I did this to create a number
    of copies of the DVD, in the first place.
    It also showed how big the DVD was.
    If you look at my last post I used K9copy to do what I needed, as I
    said at the start I haven't done this before & didn't know what to
    use. I had searched the web but never came across k9copy.
    I used the image file though, I mounted it & used that for k9copy, it
    worked fine & I would imagine speeded it up.
    Just a note, when I was using Acidrip, it produced bigger files using
    the mount iso image than when reading from the DVD!
    Although I never got a complete chapter.
    There are many way to do things in Linux, all of them are right, just
    some are easier than others, depending on your point of view.

    Thanks for your advice.
    Lez

+ Reply to Thread