Can someone explain, please? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Can someone explain, please? - Slackware ; I tried to sign up with DSL Extreme and the rep says, "we don't have your phone number in the system" "You need to call up ATT and get 'registered with the CP sos office;" I have NO idea what ...

  1. Can someone explain, please?

    I tried to sign up with DSL Extreme and the rep says, "we don't have your
    phone number in the system"

    "You need to call up ATT and get 'registered with the CP sos office;"

    I have NO idea what this means........., and when I called ATT, they had no
    idea what I
    was talking about, BUT wanted me to sign up with them (ATT/Yahoo).

    Since they have the worse rep around here, that's not an option. Do I need
    to sign up with them just to switch?

    Can someone explain what is going on? BTW, I live very close to the
    switching office. about 1 mile.

  2. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On 2007-06-29, Travis McGee wrote:
    > I tried to sign up with DSL Extreme and the rep says, "we don't have your
    > phone number in the system"

    What does this have to do with Slackware? Or is this another example of
    your ''humor''?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    "Keith Keller" wrote in message
    > What does this have to do with Slackware? Or is this another example of
    > your ''humor''?

    Well...........exxxxxxxxxxxxxcuse me, pal, for trying to get some info from
    this most knowledgeable group.

    FYI, it has to do with Slack so I can download the packages and update
    stuff. Can't do that on dial-up now, can I?

    If you don't want to help, or don't want to laugh, just hit that crack pipe
    some more.

  4. Re: Can someone explain, please?

  5. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On 2007-06-29, Travis McGee wrote:

    > FYI, it has to do with Slack so I can download the packages and update
    > stuff. Can't do that on dial-up now, can I?

    Well actually, you can. I would suggest you download wget, a
    downloading utility licensed under the GPL. There is a Windows
    version which works quite well:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

    Once you point it at the file, it will keep doggin' that sucker till
    it's on your HDD, no matter how long it takes, providing your POTS
    connection doesn't die. I used it on the slowest dial-up I've ever
    run across (2.5KB/sec). Took almost 3hrs to d/l 60MB, but did it
    clean. This on XP.

    But frankly, for 600+ MB, it might be faster to mail order a CD!

    nb

  6. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:28:19 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:

    > I tried to sign up with DSL Extreme and the rep says, "we don't have your
    > phone number in the system"
    >
    > "You need to call up ATT and get 'registered with the CP sos office;"
    >
    > I have NO idea what this means........., and when I called ATT, they had no
    > idea what I
    > was talking about, BUT wanted me to sign up with them (ATT/Yahoo).
    >
    > Since they have the worse rep around here, that's not an option. Do I need
    > to sign up with them just to switch?
    >
    > Can someone explain what is going on? BTW, I live very close to the
    > switching office. about 1 mile.

    Why not just sign up with your local telco - that's usually the best
    option.

  7. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.06.30.00.54.53.358762@zianet.com...
    > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:28:19 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:

    Ok, thanks for the input. Sorry to post off topic.

  8. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:32:06 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.06.30.00.54.53.358762@zianet.com...
    >> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:28:19 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:
    >>

    > Ok, thanks for the input. Sorry to post off topic.

    No sweat - seems like as good a place as any.

  9. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On 2007-06-29, Travis McGee wrote:

    > FYI, it has to do with Slack so I can download the packages and update
    > stuff. Can't do that on dial-up now, can I?

    Sure you can. Wishing for your post to be on-topic doesn't make it so.

    > If you don't want to help, or don't want to laugh, just hit that crack pipe
    > some more.

    Well, I don't want to help, and you're clearly not funny, so crack pipe
    here I come.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  10. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:32:06 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:

    > Ok, thanks for the input. Sorry to post off topic.

    Bugger off, Win-droid. Take your dial-up with ya.

  11. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:21:33 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:32:06 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, thanks for the input. Sorry to post off topic.

    > Bugger off, Win-droid. Take your dial-up with ya.

    I'd be much happier if YOU would 'bugger off'.

  12. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:21:33 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:32:06 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok, thanks for the input. Sorry to post off topic.

    >> Bugger off, Win-droid. Take your dial-up with ya.

    > I'd be much happier if YOU would 'bugger off'.

    Ignore him, and apply the royal order of the PLONK.

    --

    cbfalconer at maineline dot net

  13. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:01:49 -0600, ray wrote:

    >> Bugger off, Win-droid.

    > I'd be much happier if YOU would 'bugger off'.

    Well, you're destined for a lifetime of disappointment, then, junior.

    But then, you already knew that, didn't you?

  14. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.07.01.00.31.01.381711@lan.invalid...
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:01:49 -0600, ray wrote:
    > Well, you're destined for a lifetime of disappointment, then, junior.
    > > But then, you already knew that, didn't you?

    Not me. Why don't you give me your address and we can settle this mano a
    mano. Unless you're the chicken **** I think you are.
    I didn't come here looking for trouble, but I handle assholes like you
    pretty well they tell me. So...........

    Going to give me a location to meet?

    Or not..........figures.....

    And, seriously, all you Slack types..........I know you can do the stuff.
    Get me his location, and I will promise, to take care of it.

    Travis, the borg.

  15. Re: Can someone explain, please?

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:40:22 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:

    >> Well, you're destined for a lifetime of disappointment, then, junior.
    >> But then, you already knew that, didn't you?

    > Not me. Why don't you give me your address and we can settle this mano a

    I'll be at your mom's place later. You remember which trailer she's in?