Taking the plunge! - Slackware

This is a discussion on Taking the plunge! - Slackware ; I "used" to play with Slack a few years ago. Very very fast and fun too! I've now got a new box that I just installed Ubuntu on, and it won't boot from the install. Sata drive problems. I'm ready ...

  1. Taking the plunge!

    I "used" to play with Slack a few years ago. Very very fast and fun too!
    I've now got a new box that I just installed Ubuntu on, and it won't boot
    from the install. Sata drive problems. I'm ready to just dive into Slackware
    and learn to swim.........

    I've downloaded the new Book, and will be printing it out.

    First question: Is there any way to know if Slackware stable will, in fact,
    boot from my Sata? If not, no biggie, I'll just get an IDE drive.
    I know this is a driver problem, but can't find if my particular controller
    is supported. (Nvidia nForce2 Gigabit MCP/RAID MCP).

    I also know this is a pretty tough crowd here, and promise not to ask any
    question I haven't researched first (to the best of my abilities.

    So, real simple...........Is it worth the hassle to try and get sata to
    boot, or just start with a pata and move on?

    Thanks for any help.

    TM

  2. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Travis McGee wrote:
    > First question: Is there any way to know if Slackware stable will, in fact,
    > boot from my Sata? If not, no biggie, I'll just get an IDE drive.
    > I know this is a driver problem, but can't find if my particular controller
    > is supported. (Nvidia nForce2 Gigabit MCP/RAID MCP).

    i did a *very* quick google search for `linux Nvidia nForce2 MCP' and found
    this thread:

    which suggests to google for `+dmraid +linux'. which i'll leave up to
    you. ;-P

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: Taking the plunge!

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:53:02 +0000, Travis McGee wrote:

    > So, real simple...........Is it worth the hassle to try and get sata to
    > boot, or just start with a pata and move on?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > TM

    Hi Travis,

    shouldn't be a problem. As you already noted, Slackware is not Ubuntu,
    which used to be good a few generations ago but has got increasingly
    buggy.

    --
    B.Hoffmann

  4. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Travis McGee wrote:

    > First question: Is there any way to know if Slackware stable will, in
    > fact, boot from my Sata?

    Off topic, and unsolicited:
    Before installing "stable" (11.0), you may want to consider that -current is
    at rc2, so 12.0 is imminent. The changes from 11.0 are substantial.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  5. Re: Taking the plunge!

    "Old Man" wrote in message
    news:idydnZIO6vVM6xzbnZ2dnUVZ_vqpnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Off topic, and unsolicited:
    > Before installing "stable" (11.0), you may want to consider that -current

    is
    > at rc2, so 12.0 is imminent. The changes from 11.0 are substantial.

    Thanks, guys! Any idea of the release date? I've done some more research and
    educated myself that SW comes with various kernels that may do what I want.
    While my particular controller isn't listed in the HowTo's, I'm wondering if
    using the latest kernel may work? There is one lised with specific support
    for *most* sata controllers.

    It may be worth a try...........

    Thanks. I'm getting juiced again!

  6. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Travis McGee wrote :

    > First question: Is there any way to know if Slackware stable will, in fact,
    > boot from my Sata?

    Give it a try. Choose the sata.i kernel (2.4.33) or the huge.s kernel
    (2.6.17.13) if you take huge.s then you'll have to install the kernel
    modules from /extra/linux-2.6.17.13/

    Both kernels works fine with my "nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
    Controller".
    --
    Thomas O.

  7. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Travis McGee wrote:
    > First question: Is there any way to know if Slackware stable will, in fact,
    > boot from my Sata? If not, no biggie, I'll just get an IDE drive.
    > I know this is a driver problem, but can't find if my particular controller
    > is supported. (Nvidia nForce2 Gigabit MCP/RAID MCP).

    > So, real simple...........Is it worth the hassle to try and get sata to
    > boot, or just start with a pata and move on?

    SATA should boot fine; my box is one data point. (ASUS A7N8X mobo and
    ATI video card)
    > lspci

    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?)
    (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
    Controller (rev a1)
    00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio
    Processing Unit (rev a2)
    00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
    Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 PCI Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): nVidia Corporation nForce2 FireWire (IEEE
    1394) Controller (rev a3)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev a2)
    01:0a.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (rev 01)
    01:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112
    [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast
    Ethernet Controller [Tornado] (rev 40)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 If
    [Radeon 9000] (rev 01)
    03:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Radeon
    9000] (Secondary) (rev 01)

  8. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Travis McGee wrote:

    > So, real simple...........Is it worth the hassle to try and get sata to
    > boot, or just start with a pata and move on?

    Try booting to the test26.s kernel. The last time I installed Slack
    onto a sata box I think that's what worked. It's entirely possible
    I'm not remembering that correctly, though, so... Sorry! :P

  9. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Travis McGee wrote:

    > I also know this is a pretty tough crowd here,

    At first glance it might seem so but generally speaking I don't think
    that's the case. People who are asking intelligent questions don't get
    flamed.

    The vast majority of flames (in my opinion) go back and forth (and back
    and forth) between long time regulars, who, for whatever reason, just
    can't seem to find the love...

  10. Re: Taking the plunge!

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > Travis McGee wrote :
    >
    >> First question: Is there any way to know if Slackware stable will, in fact,
    >> boot from my Sata?

    > Give it a try. Choose the sata.i kernel (2.4.33) or the huge.s kernel
    > (2.6.17.13) if you take huge.s then you'll have to install the kernel
    > modules from /extra/linux-2.6.17.13/
    >
    > Both kernels works fine with my "nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
    > Controller".

    huge26.s, i booted the install disk with it, unselected all 2.4 related packages, installed the
    2.6 generic kernel and related packages, built initrd, all i added to the initrd was ext3
    support, works fine, the generic kernel supports sata fine with no extra modules.

+ Reply to Thread