Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity - Slackware

This is a discussion on Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity - Slackware ; Good evening, all - I have been mucking about with trying to upgrade to the current tree, and it hasn't gone well. In a nutshell, I can boot the new 2.6.21.5 (huge smp) kernel successfully, but don't wind up having ...

  1. Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    Good evening, all -

    I have been mucking about with trying to upgrade to the current tree,
    and it hasn't gone well. In a nutshell, I can boot the new 2.6.21.5
    (huge smp) kernel successfully, but don't wind up having
    networking. At least this time around I was clueful enough to
    keep another kernel installed (the generic 2.6.17.13 one) that
    _does_ allow me to connect.

    dmesg output for the 2.6.21.5 kernel shows these lines:

    eth0: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    ----
    eth0: link down
    ----
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

    .... the equivalent lines in dmesg output for 2.6.17.13 shows

    eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    ----
    eth0: setting full-duplex.
    ----
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present

    I'm not sure what's going on here. It is interesting that in the
    case of the kernel that ultimately connects successfully, it's 'eth1'
    that registers the asix kernel mod (if I am stating that correctly),
    while 'eth0' is set full duplex later. In the 2.6.21.5 dmesg output
    it's 'eth0' all the way down.

    Any pointers about how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. This
    is a situation where I don't even know where to usefully begin.

    Thanks,

    Glenn Becker

  2. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Jun 26, 2:02 am, Glenn Becker wrote:
    > Good evening, all -
    >
    > I have been mucking about with trying to upgrade to the current tree,
    > and it hasn't gone well. In a nutshell, I can boot the new 2.6.21.5
    > (huge smp) kernel successfully, but don't wind up having
    > networking. At least this time around I was clueful enough to
    > keep another kernel installed (the generic 2.6.17.13 one) that
    > _does_ allow me to connect.
    >
    > dmesg output for the 2.6.21.5 kernel shows these lines:
    >
    > eth0: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    > Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    > ----
    > eth0: link down
    > ----
    > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    >
    > ... the equivalent lines in dmesg output for 2.6.17.13 shows
    >
    > eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    > Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    > ----
    > eth0: setting full-duplex.
    > ----
    > eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    >
    > I'm not sure what's going on here. It is interesting that in the
    > case of the kernel that ultimately connects successfully, it's 'eth1'
    > that registers the asix kernel mod (if I am stating that correctly),
    > while 'eth0' is set full duplex later. In the 2.6.21.5 dmesg output
    > it's 'eth0' all the way down.
    >
    > Any pointers about how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. This
    > is a situation where I don't even know where to usefully begin.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Glenn Becker

    I upgraded to current last week and everything works.
    Did you follow all the instruction in UPGRADE:TXT (ftp://
    ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/UPGRADE.TXT)?
    However PJV suggests to use the generic-smp kernel.

  3. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    > I upgraded to current last week and everything works.
    > Did you follow all the instruction in UPGRADE:TXT (ftp://
    > ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/UPGRADE.TXT)?
    > However PJV suggests to use the generic-smp kernel.

    I did ... at the top of UPGRADE.TXT he advises using one of the
    "huge" kernels since the mkinitrd included with 11.0 won't work:

    "Note that the generic* kernels will require an initrd, and 11.0's
    mkinitrd is unable to build a suitable one, so you need to choose one
    of the huge* kernels for now."

    So I installed the kernel-huge-smp-2.6.21.5* package, with the
    results I posted.

    Don't know if I am asking for trouble if I try to upgrade to the
    mkinitrd included with -current and /then/ trying to install a
    generic kernel in place of the huge one.

  4. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:36:44 -0400, Glenn Becker wrote:

    >> I upgraded to current last week and everything works.
    >> Did you follow all the instruction in UPGRADE:TXT (ftp://
    >> ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/UPGRADE.TXT)?
    >> However PJV suggests to use the generic-smp kernel.

    > I did ... at the top of UPGRADE.TXT he advises using one of the
    > "huge" kernels since the mkinitrd included with 11.0 won't work:
    >
    > "Note that the generic* kernels will require an initrd, and 11.0's
    > mkinitrd is unable to build a suitable one, so you need to choose one
    > of the huge* kernels for now."
    >
    > So I installed the kernel-huge-smp-2.6.21.5* package, with the
    > results I posted.
    >
    > Don't know if I am asking for trouble if I try to upgrade to the
    > mkinitrd included with -current and /then/ trying to install a
    > generic kernel in place of the huge one.

    From what I found with working with the recent kernel, you should be able
    to generate an initrd using the mkinitrd tool from -current (that
    is, Slackware 12, RC1.)

    Regarding your problems with networking, perhaps (as a wild guess) the
    "huge" kernel does not include support for everything by itself. Once you
    are running Slackware 12, RC1, generate an initrd. You shouldn't need an
    initrd for that.

    Also, as another WAG, I noticed 12,RC1 does away with support for
    hotplug because it is for 2.4.x. hotplug often initialized certain
    devices. This might be a reason to do a clean sweep on /etc/rc.d (instead
    of fiddling with rc.xxx.new). I have only setup a clean install of 12,RC1
    for this reason.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:36:44 -0400, Glenn Becker wrote:

    > So I installed the kernel-huge-smp-2.6.21.5* package, with the results
    > I posted.

    > Don't know if I am asking for trouble if I try to upgrade to the mkinitrd
    > included with -current and /then/ trying to install a generic kernel in
    > place of the huge one.

    My wild ass guess here...Are you sure the rest of the install is up to
    2.6.21.5 requirements?

    I dropped that kernel source in (vanilla kernel form kernel.org) my 10.2
    install and tried to compile it using my .config

    It failed on the very first step: make oldconfig.

    I went into the source tree and read the docs and discovered that this
    version requires a higher level of udev than 2.6.19 did, which I'd been
    happily running on Slack 10.2.

    So I'd been dragging my feet on my Slack 11 install and this motivated
    me to polish it off and now it's my default.

    First thing I did was try the vanilla 2.6.21.5 with make oldconfig
    again and it worked just fine with Slack 11.

    So anyway look into those requirements and make sure all is well.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:41:22 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >> Don't know if I am asking for trouble if I try to upgrade to the
    >> mkinitrd included with -current and /then/ trying to install a generic
    >> kernel in place of the huge one.

    > From what I found with working with the recent kernel, you should be able
    > to generate an initrd using the mkinitrd tool from -current (that is,
    > Slackware 12, RC1.)

    > Regarding your problems with networking, perhaps (as a wild guess) the
    > "huge" kernel does not include support for everything by itself. Once you
    > are running Slackware 12, RC1, generate an initrd. You shouldn't need an
    > initrd for that.

    Also if you have a running linux on your HD you could mount the Current
    install, chroot, source /etc/profile and build a custom kernel that
    requires no initrd. I use very few modules, mostly Alsa as my past
    experience was that Alsa likes to be load modules to work. But that's
    not gonna stop it from booting, that is if Alsa fails to initialize.

    To get going you just need your mobo chipset, and any HD controllers,
    AGP stuff, plus file system support built inline the kernel. Once you get
    booted you can fine tune the kernel more.

    > Also, as another WAG, I noticed 12,RC1 does away with support for hotplug
    > because it is for 2.4.x. hotplug often initialized certain devices. This
    > might be a reason to do a clean sweep on /etc/rc.d (instead of fiddling
    > with rc.xxx.new). I have only setup a clean install of 12,RC1 for this
    > reason.

    As I mentioned udev is a definite different requirement with this kernel
    and that could affect a slew of things.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:41:22 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > From what I found with working with the recent kernel, you should be
    > able to generate an initrd using the mkinitrd tool from -current (that
    > is, Slackware 12, RC1.)

    Well, this is what I did, and it seems to have worked great. Took some
    time to upgrade, but ... so far, all is well. 12.0 looks like it has some
    fun new stuff.

    Thanks all. :^)

    GB

  8. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:02:24 -0400
    Glenn Becker wrote:
    > ----
    > eth0: link down
    > ----
    > eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    > Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    > ----
    > Any pointers about how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. This
    > is a situation where I don't even know where to usefully begin.

    Hi,

    I had a similar problem. Udev doesn't know which of your NICs
    is eth0 and which one is eth1.

    # cd /etc/udev/rules.d

    Open 75-network-devices.rules and change NAME="eth0" to read
    NAME="eth1" and vice versa. I'm not sure whether you need
    to reboot then or restarting rc.udev (and rc.inet1?) will
    suffice. You'll figure this out ;-)

    --
    Mikhail

  9. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On 2007-06-27, Mikhail Zotov wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:02:24 -0400
    > Glenn Becker wrote:
    >> ----
    >> eth0: link down
    >> ----
    >> eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    >> Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    >> ----
    >> Any pointers about how to troubleshoot this would be welcome. This
    >> is a situation where I don't even know where to usefully begin.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I had a similar problem. Udev doesn't know which of your NICs
    > is eth0 and which one is eth1.
    >
    > # cd /etc/udev/rules.d
    >
    > Open 75-network-devices.rules and change NAME="eth0" to read
    > NAME="eth1" and vice versa. I'm not sure whether you need
    > to reboot then or restarting rc.udev (and rc.inet1?) will
    > suffice. You'll figure this out ;-)

    Assuming this is the issue, I'd probably stop the network
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop
    Edit the 75-network-devices.rules file as needed, then
    run udevtrigger(8) and then start rc.inet1 again.

    RW

  10. Re: Upgrading to Current: Kernel and Connectivity

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:44:24 GMT
    Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2007-06-27, Mikhail Zotov wrote:
    > > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:02:24 -0400
    > > Glenn Becker wrote:
    > >> ----
    > >> eth0: link down
    > >> ----
    > >> eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1.1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0
    > >> Ethernet,00:50:5b:05:65:98
    > >> ----

    > > Open 75-network-devices.rules and change NAME="eth0" to read
    > > NAME="eth1" and vice versa. I'm not sure whether you need
    > > to reboot then or restarting rc.udev (and rc.inet1?) will
    > > suffice. You'll figure this out ;-)

    > Assuming this is the issue, I'd probably stop the network
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop
    > Edit the 75-network-devices.rules file as needed, then
    > run udevtrigger(8) and then start rc.inet1 again.

    Cool. RTFM-ing is a useful thing :-)

    M.

+ Reply to Thread