programming project - Slackware

This is a discussion on programming project - Slackware ; I am the author of programming project, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I want to share it with others, but I don't have room enough on my own web space. I call it SAM (Simple ASCII Menus). You ...

  1. programming project

    I am the author of programming project, and I'm not sure how to
    proceed. I want to share it with others, but I don't have room enough
    on my own web space. I call it SAM (Simple ASCII Menus). You can read
    about it on my web page (http://josephrosevear.com/links.html). I'd
    like to upload it somewhere so that it can be downloaded and tried.

    I know there's Freshmeat and Sourceforge, but I'm wondering if they
    are appropriate. I'm willing to share the source and license it under
    the GPL, but I'm not looking for collaboration just yet. I just want a
    place to put it so that others, when they hear or read about it, have a
    place to find it.

    I also know of the FSF/UNESCO Free Software Directory. Perhaps that
    would be a good place?

    I believe in sharing, and I want to share this project. It will play a
    part in the volunteer work I'm doing to help a school in San Diego,
    California (U.S.A.) set up a Slackware file server for students. It
    may get a little publicity, and I'd like to be ready by having it
    available for download.

    It is stable. I've been developing SAM for many years, and I use it
    daily. It is useful as an aid in organizing collections of executables
    to serve a purpose, such as managing 800 student accounts. It is
    packaged with documentation, a setup script, and a license agreement
    (GPL Ver 2). And I have written a slack-desc.txt file for it and put
    it into a Slackware package.

    I need about 3.5 Mbytes of space. Does anyone out there want to host
    it for me? Or perhaps someone has a suggestion about where to put it?

    -Joe

  2. Re: programming project

    Joseph H. Rosevear wrote:
    > I need about 3.5 Mbytes of space. Does anyone out there want to host
    > it for me?

    If you wish, I can host it for you. Address would be something like:

    http://www.guacosoft.com/sam/

    Feel free to contact me by e-mail if you're interested.

    Of course, you can always pick one of 'free' providers out there like
    sourceforge.net, gna.org, berlios.de, etc.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://www.guacosoft.com

  3. Re: programming project

    On Jun 25, 4:47 am, "Joseph H. Rosevear"
    wrote:

    > I need about 3.5 Mbytes of space. Does anyone out there want to host
    > it for me? Or perhaps someone has a suggestion about where to put it?

    http://sourceforge.net
    That is where most open source projects are hosted and available to
    the open source community. You should be able to get a free account
    and space there for your project. (Project:Create Project from the
    menus there). Also check out freshmeat.net, the other major open
    source project site.
    ~Beowulf

  4. Re: programming project

    Joseph H. Rosevear wrote:
    > I know there's Freshmeat and Sourceforge, but I'm wondering if they
    > are appropriate. I'm willing to share the source and license it under
    > the GPL, but I'm not looking for collaboration just yet.

    there's no requirement to allow collaboration on sourceforge (nor on
    freshmeat, presumably). you can just put up your code and remain the only
    developer. it's what i do myself.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  5. Re: programming project

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:42:58 -0000
    "beowulf@ancients.net" wrote:

    > On Jun 25, 4:47 am, "Joseph H. Rosevear"
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > I need about 3.5 Mbytes of space. Does anyone out there want to host
    > > it for me? Or perhaps someone has a suggestion about where to put it?

    > http://sourceforge.net
    > That is where most open source projects are hosted and available to
    > the open source community. You should be able to get a free account
    > and space there for your project. (Project:Create Project from the
    > menus there). Also check out freshmeat.net, the other major open
    > source project site.

    IIRC, freshmeat doesn't provide `hosting' in the sence of SF or,
    say, berlios.de.

    --
    M.

+ Reply to Thread