How to set pop up window size in KDE - Slackware

This is a discussion on How to set pop up window size in KDE - Slackware ; I finally got 11.0 up to the same configuration as my 10.2 install and now have made 11.0 the default. One little problem I have but I'm not sure where to look to make the settings. When I am using ...

  1. How to set pop up window size in KDE

    I finally got 11.0 up to the same configuration as my 10.2 install and
    now have made 11.0 the default.

    One little problem I have but I'm not sure where to look to make the
    settings.

    When I am using Kate, say, and exit the program a "pop up" window opens
    asking me to "Save, Don't Save, Abort Closing".

    These are the windows I'm talking about. I'm not sure what the correct
    term is for them so I'm calling them "pop ups" for sake of discussion
    here.

    Problem is several are oversized. I resize the pop up with the mouse and
    then make the selection but the next time the "resizing" doesn't
    "stick". This happens on several KDE apps.

    I know I'm nitpicking, but that's me.

    Anyone know what this adjustment is called and where to make it?

    TIA...

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Ron Gibson wrote :

    > Problem is several are oversized. I resize the pop up with the mouse and
    > then make the selection but the next time the "resizing" doesn't
    > "stick". This happens on several KDE apps.

    Resize the window to your liking and then right-click the titlebar and
    in the menu that comes up choose "Advanced"|"Special Window Setting".

    Go to the "Geometry" pane and activate "Size" and then pick "Apply
    Initially" in the drop-down menu.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:47:44 +0200, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Resize the window to your liking and then right-click the titlebar and
    > in the menu that comes up choose "Advanced"|"Special Window Setting".

    > Go to the "Geometry" pane and activate "Size" and then pick "Apply
    > Initially" in the drop-down menu.

    That's seems to be working. I use those settings all the time but had
    never used that particular option.

    Tanks

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On 2007-06-25, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Go to the "Geometry" pane and activate "Size" and then pick "Apply
    > Initially" in the drop-down menu.

    Handy piece of info. I'll try it the next time my mozzy window opens
    to a size of its own choosing, a not uncommon action, though it always
    seems to return to normal after of couple days of annoying me. A
    question: what's the difference between "apply initially" and
    "remember"?

    nb

  5. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    notbob@nothome.com wrote :

    > A question: what's the difference between "apply initially" and
    > "remember"?

    The difference is that if you choose "Remember" it will remember its last
    size. So if you resize the window and close it this new size will be
    used from now.
    --
    Thomas O.

  6. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:37:43 -0500, notbob wrote:

    >> Go to the "Geometry" pane and activate "Size" and then pick "Apply
    >> Initially" in the drop-down menu.

    > Handy piece of info. I'll try it the next time my mozzy window opens to a
    > size of its own choosing, a not uncommon action, though it always seems to
    > return to normal after of couple days of annoying me. A question: what's
    > the difference between "apply initially" and "remember"?

    That's what I wondered but it kind of makes sense. Like I mentioned I
    use those "Advanced Settings" a lot forcing one app to a certain desktop
    or to remember size, position.

    This way one desktop is my "Stereo Entertainment Center" and another is
    my "System Status" desktop. The others are for whatever.

    If you use kate there are settings to restore the last session and you
    can include window geometry. I set it up so that it always opens a full
    screen blank page with none of those sidebar things in the way. But
    those settings are in kate's settings.

    Another little oddity I found is setting up kde so it always opens with
    want you want running.

    First you have to set...

    kcontrol > KDE Components > Session Manager and select "Restore Previous
    Session".

    Set up your desktop and log out, NOT reboot or halt. Then log back in.
    Now you can halt or reboot from KDE and when you boot up again the
    desktop is like you want it.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On 2007-06-25, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Set up your desktop and log out, NOT reboot or halt. Then log back in.
    > Now you can halt or reboot from KDE and when you boot up again the
    > desktop is like you want it.

    Yeah, I don't open anything from boot except 5 Konsole terms.
    Everything else is off unless I want it and I always run every window
    at full size. I toggle thru windows w/ alt-tab, as my eyesight is on
    the geezer end of the spectrum. But, thanks for the info, all the
    same.

    nb

  8. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:10:29 -0500, notbob wrote:

    > the spectrum. But, thanks for the info, all the same.

    For everybody that needs it was intended for...

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  9. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:10:29 -0500, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> the spectrum. But, thanks for the info, all the same.

    > For everybody that needs it was intended for...

    Does this setting only work on some windows ? I can't get it to work on
    my IDLE python editor window..

  10. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:18:35 +0100, Ed Hughes wrote:

    > Does this setting only work on some windows ? I can't get it to work on
    > my IDLE python editor window..

    Have you tried it with a window opened like so...

    konsole -e

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  11. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:18:35 +0100, Ed Hughes wrote:
    >
    >> Does this setting only work on some windows ? I can't get it to work on
    >> my IDLE python editor window..

    > Have you tried it with a window opened like so...
    >
    > konsole -e

    Well I have now - still no joy I'm afraid.

  12. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:57:08 +0100, bgeddy wrote:

    >> Have you tried it with a window opened like so...

    >> konsole -e

    > Well I have now - still no joy I'm afraid.

    IIRC, you can edit an X rc file and preset some apps but it's been a
    while since I did that and can't recall the details offhand.

    And then again other apps seem to defy taming.

    Sooner or later you'll hit the solution or explanation. I don't have many
    niggles and the ones I do aren't worth the effort.

    I use a reverse color scheme. I guess those old monochrome monitors
    left a lasting impression on me. Like I'm typing now with cyan text on a
    black background. My entire desktop is in reverse colors.

    Some seldom used menu's from drop down boxes and a few text entry boxes
    on some seldom used apps aren't readable as they try to override the
    color scheme. This one isn't worth spending the time to try and fix it.
    If it's a problem I launch kcontrol and switch it to system colors so
    it's readable. When done I switch back. I have to do that maybe 5-6 times
    a week.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  13. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:57:08 +0100, bgeddy wrote:
    >
    >>> Have you tried it with a window opened like so...

    >>> konsole -e

    >> Well I have now - still no joy I'm afraid.

    > IIRC, you can edit an X rc file and preset some apps but it's been a
    > while since I did that and can't recall the details offhand.

    the gentoo wiki has a nice page on how to autostart applications
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs
    --

    ed

  14. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:35:14 -0400, Ed Wilson wrote:

    > the gentoo wiki has a nice page on how to autostart applications
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

    I have this one as a "reminder" popup when I start kde. In
    cat ~/.kde/Autostart/Dates.desktop

    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment=
    Comment[en_US]=
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Exec='/usr/local/bin/dates'
    GenericName=
    GenericName[en_US]=
    Icon=exec
    MimeType=
    Name=Dates
    Name[en_US]=Dates
    Path=
    StartupNotify=true
    Terminal=false
    TerminalOptions=
    Type=Application
    X-DCOP-ServiceType=
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=

    Then cat /usr/local/bin/dates ->

    kwrite /usr/local/share/dates.txt

    But that could just as easily be...

    cat /usr/local/bin/dates ->

    konsole -e kwrite /usr/local/share/dates.txt

    And you can specify all types of stuff using konsole switches. The same
    switches that work for xterm work for konsole (see man xterm).

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  15. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > konsole -e kwrite /usr/local/share/dates.txt

    > And you can specify all types of stuff using konsole switches. The same
    > switches that work for xterm work for konsole (see man xterm).

    konsole uses a _few_ of the same switches that xterm does.

    (konsole should have documentation, but the only stuff I recall
    seeing is the useless/misleading online help - ymmv)

    xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
    There's an faq at
    http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
    ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  16. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Thomas Dickey trolled:
    > Ron Gibson wrote:

    >> konsole -e kwrite /usr/local/share/dates.txt

    >> And you can specify all types of stuff using konsole switches. The same
    >> switches that work for xterm work for konsole (see man xterm).

    > konsole uses a _few_ of the same switches that xterm does.

    > (konsole should have documentation, but the only stuff I recall
    > seeing is the useless/misleading online help - ymmv)

    > xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8

    xterm is the very worst choice for a terminal. People who like
    xterm also like slrn and mutt.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    .... the only things that separate it (slackware) from others are the
    things it lacks... not has. -- ANC

  17. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Rhonda Moffat wrote:
    ....nothing as always...

    Well, I suppose if you had any skills beyond talking, you'd point
    to better work done by yourself (and then we could discuss at length
    its quality).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  18. Re: How to set pop up window size in KDE

    Thomas Dickey trolled:
    > Rhonda Moffat wrote:
    > ...nothing as always...

    You clipped away the "nothing." Why was that?

    > Well, I suppose if you had any skills beyond talking, you'd point
    > to better work done by yourself (and then we could discuss at
    > length its quality).

    When we did our undergrad in Computer Science we wrote a compiler
    (for a bogus language, whose name we have forgotten) with a
    recursive descent parser (that was fun) and we wrote part of an OS,
    from scratch, including drivers for a file system, for a PC in
    assembler and C. Before we even went to University, we wrote a
    terminal program for msdos in Borland's Turbo C, featuring an xmodem
    protocol which was all the rage back then. We also wrote a guitar
    program for msdos which would teach the user guitar scales,
    arpeggios, and chords. And again, for MSDOS, we wrote a really
    ****ty video game in which we learned a lot about PC/Dos video modes
    and mouse interrupts, again using Borland C.

    And before that, we wrote all kinds of alarm and security programs
    for Apple II+, using applesoft basic, integer basic, the lisa
    assembler, and the computer's i/o gaming ports. The 6502 had _5_
    registers! 5!

    But after we graduated with our Computer Science Degree, we headed
    off to Law School (U of T, in fact), and given that U of T Law
    School is far and away the toughest law school to enter in Canada,
    our A average in Computer Science must have had something to do with
    it. Except for some simple bash scripts, we put the programming
    behind us. We probably have the old stuff around here somewhere but
    we are too lazy to look for it.

    We live in semi-retirement at this point. We have considered
    studying up on C++ because we missed all that object oriented stuff.
    It might be interesting to write stuff for KDE.

    Oh, and we almost forgot! Back in the early 80's we took a course
    at U of T in how to program in PL/1. This was before they went to
    Turing as a beginner language. The PL/1 programs were typed onto
    cards and fed into a cardreader. While at U of T, we were fortunate
    enough to get an account on a DEC-20, using the Tops 20 OS, which
    was hooked up to the world before the "internet" even existed.

    Can you recommend a good book on C++?

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    .... the only things that separate it (slackware) from others are the
    things it lacks... not has. -- ANC

+ Reply to Thread