VPN client recommendations needed. - Slackware

This is a discussion on VPN client recommendations needed. - Slackware ; I am looking for a VPN client to connect a home pc (Slackware 11.0) to work (Cisco hardware). I have googled around and it seems like VPNC is one possibility. Is this client still being actively developed or are there ...

  1. VPN client recommendations needed.

    I am looking for a VPN client to connect a home pc (Slackware 11.0) to
    work (Cisco hardware). I have googled around and it seems like VPNC is
    one possibility.

    Is this client still being actively developed or are there other clients
    that I can try.

    I know Cisco has linux client ... and I am in the process of trying to
    get it but would prefer an open source solution if there is one.

    TIA,

    MG

  2. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:58:59 -0500, mg wrote:

    > I am looking for a VPN client to connect a home pc (Slackware 11.0) to
    > work (Cisco hardware). I have googled around and it seems like VPNC is
    > one possibility.
    >
    > Is this client still being actively developed or are there other clients
    > that I can try.
    >
    > I know Cisco has linux client ... and I am in the process of trying to
    > get it but would prefer an open source solution if there is one.

    I know only two of them:

    The one I mostly use
    -----------
    vpnc version 0.4.0
    Copyright (C) 2002-2006 Geoffrey Keating, Maurice Massar, others
    vpnc comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
    You may redistribute copies of vpnc under the terms of the GNU General
    -----------

    As you seem to have found it I won't say much more than
    the basics: it works, it was still active last year, I don't
    know for nowadays but that's not like if the keys algorithms
    were supposed to suddenly use EBCDIC instead of ASCII or is it?

    And the fresh one (to my knowledge) in Slackware:

    -----------
    1# cat /more/slackware-current/slackware/n/openvpn-2.0.9-i486-1.txt
    openvpn: openvpn (secure IP tunnel daemon)
    openvpn:
    openvpn: OpenVPN is a full-featured SSL VPN which can accomodate a wide range
    openvpn: of configurations, including remote access, site-to-site VPNs, WiFi
    openvpn: security, and enterprise-scale remote access with load balancing,
    openvpn: failover, and fine-grained access-controls.
    openvpn:
    openvpn: OpenVPN's home on the net is: http://openvpn.net
    -----------

  3. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    mg wrote:
    > I am looking for a VPN client to connect a home pc (Slackware 11.0) to
    > work (Cisco hardware). I have googled around and it seems like VPNC is
    > one possibility.
    >
    > Is this client still being actively developed or are there other
    > clients that I can try.
    >
    > I know Cisco has linux client ... and I am in the process of trying to
    > get it but would prefer an open source solution if there is one.
    >

    > TIA,
    >
    > MG

    You may find it easier to get the Cisco client and use that -- the Cisco
    client plays nicely with Cisco servers (translation: you don't have to
    fool around with it). It's named vpnclient-linux-x86... and Google will
    find a bunch of places to download it from.

    I've been using Cisco clients with two releases of Slackware for a few
    years with no problems; it installs easily and just works. The full name
    of the download file I'm presently using is
    vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz (which may or may not be
    the most current) if that helps.

  4. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Thomas Ronayne wrote:

    > I've been using Cisco clients with two releases of Slackware for a few years
    > with no problems; it installs easily and just works. The full name of the
    > download file I'm presently using is
    > vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz (which may or may not be the
    > most current) if that helps.

    If you are using a recent 2.6 kernel you'll need to patch the Cisco client before
    installing. See http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/a...er/012956.html.

    Tom

  5. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using Cisco clients with two releases of Slackware for a
    >> few years with no problems; it installs easily and just works. The
    >> full name of the download file I'm presently using is
    >> vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz (which may or may not be
    >> the most current) if that helps.

    > If you are using a recent 2.6 kernel you'll need to patch the Cisco
    > client before
    > installing. See
    > http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/a...er/012956.html.
    >
    > Tom

    Hmm, running 2.6.18 with that VPN version, never had a problem... looks
    like 2.6.19 might, though.

  6. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    > Hmm, running 2.6.18 with that VPN version, never had a problem... looks like
    > 2.6.19 might, though.

    The notes I have indicate that 2.6.19 is when the patch was required. I have:

    linux/config.h is now linux/autoconf.h
    CHECKSUM_HW is now CHECKSUM_COMPLETE

    I'm also running 4.8k9.

    Tom

  7. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    mg wrote:
    > I am looking for a VPN client to connect a home pc (Slackware 11.0) to
    > work (Cisco hardware). I have googled around and it seems like VPNC is
    > one possibility.
    >
    > Is this client still being actively developed or are there other clients
    > that I can try.
    >
    > I know Cisco has linux client ... and I am in the process of trying to
    > get it but would prefer an open source solution if there is one.
    >

    > TIA,
    >
    > MG

    First of all, thanks for all the replies. I downloaded vpnc-0.4.0 but
    after a few hours of hacking it seems like it'll be a slog to get it
    going. I may give it another shot later.

    However, I was able to get a hold of the cisco vpn client:
    vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz

    Tom, mentioned a patch for 2.6.19 ... I am running 2.6.21.5, and
    I found the CHECKSUM_COMPLETE in skbuff.h not in linux/autoconf.h . For
    now I will hold off from any patches. As I have a brand new shiny Slack
    12.0 installed and it works great.

    Anyway, for those who mentioned using the Cisco vpn client. Is the
    install as straightforward as mentioned here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/....html#wp998226

    Any advice or comments on installing this client and driver would be
    greatly appreciated.

    TIA,

    MG

  8. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    mg wrote:

    > Anyway, for those who mentioned using the Cisco vpn client. Is the
    > install as straightforward as mentioned here:
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/....html#wp998226
    >
    > Any advice or comments on installing this client and driver would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    http://www2.auckland.ac.nz/staffvpn/.../#_Toc56334262

    Hope that helps!

  9. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, mg wrote:

    > However, I was able to get a hold of the cisco vpn client:
    > vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz
    >
    > Tom, mentioned a patch for 2.6.19 ... I am running 2.6.21.5, and
    > I found the CHECKSUM_COMPLETE in skbuff.h not in linux/autoconf.h . For
    > now I will hold off from any patches. As I have a brand new shiny Slack
    > 12.0 installed and it works great.

    I'm also running 2.6.21.5. To be clear, the patch is to the Cisco
    software rather than the kernel.

    [11:24:12]tcanich@orion:~$ vpnclient
    Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.00 (0490)
    Copyright (C) 1998-2005 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Client Type(s): Linux
    Running on: Linux 2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Mon Jun 18 17:29:46 EDT 2007 i686
    [11:24:36]tcanich@orion:~$ uname -r
    2.6.21.5-smp

    Tom

  10. Re: VPN client recommendations needed.

    Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, mg wrote:
    >
    >> However, I was able to get a hold of the cisco vpn client:
    >> vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz
    >>
    >> Tom, mentioned a patch for 2.6.19 ... I am running 2.6.21.5, and
    >> I found the CHECKSUM_COMPLETE in skbuff.h not in linux/autoconf.h .
    >> For now I will hold off from any patches. As I have a brand new shiny
    >> Slack 12.0 installed and it works great.

    > I'm also running 2.6.21.5. To be clear, the patch is to the Cisco
    > software rather than the kernel.
    >
    > [11:24:12]tcanich@orion:~$ vpnclient
    > Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.00 (0490)
    > Copyright (C) 1998-2005 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    > Client Type(s): Linux
    > Running on: Linux 2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Mon Jun 18 17:29:46 EDT 2007 i686
    > [11:24:36]tcanich@orion:~$ uname -r
    > 2.6.21.5-smp
    >
    > Tom

    Tom,

    Thanks for the patch tip. I now have VPN up and running using Cisco's
    VPN client for Linux. Some minor firewall adjustments were needed and
    now it all works.

    -- MG

+ Reply to Thread