gui musings - Slackware

This is a discussion on gui musings - Slackware ; On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:20:04 +0000, Rhonda Moffat wrote: >> but you sir are even worse than rm with your high and mighty snob >> behaviour > Worse than rm? What is that supposed to mean? It means, dimwit, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: gui musings

  1. Re: gui musings

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:20:04 +0000, Rhonda Moffat wrote:

    >> but you sir are even worse than rm with your high and mighty snob
    >> behaviour


    > Worse than rm? What is that supposed to mean?


    It means, dimwit, that he thinks my behavior is worse than your behavior.
    Don't they teach English up there in Canuck-land?

    Of course, since he's stupid, he's as wrong about this as he is about
    everything else...

    > Dan C is simply a troll. Just killfile him. His total agenda is to


    Har! Funny indeed, coming from the king of trolls. Bugger off, simpleton.

    > cordially, as always,


    Smeg off.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  2. Re: gui musings

    Theodore Heise trolled:
    > Eef Hartman wrote:
    >> loki harfagr wrote:


    >>> "what is the difference between Usenet and e-mail"


    >> To be a bit more technical:


    > Eef, I liked nearly all of your explanation, but would like to
    > question one part:


    >> In news (UseNet is not the right term, it is the NETwork "news
    >> conferences" were first developed IN)...


    > My understanding is that you are exactly right about the original
    > terminology--but since the original network (UUCP) is nearly
    > extinct, does that mean Usenet doesn't exist? Or do you consider
    > the current largely nntp-based exchange system to be Usenet?


    It doesn't matter what the pedantic thinks. Everyone else considers
    the "news conferences" Usenet. And that, my dear, is all there is
    to that.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  3. Re: gui musings

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 10:59:07 +0000, andrew wrote:

    >> what's wrong with posting from a windows usenet user agent?


    > I always keep the X-Newsreader, X-Mailer, X-Posting-Agent and User-Agent
    > fields in front of me because quite frankly there is often a correlation
    > between the value of the post and the software used to post it.


    Agreed. One feature I like about pan is you can just hot the "h" key and
    see the full headers. Hit it again and it toggles them off.

    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  4. Re: gui musings

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:16:32 -0400, Theodore Heise wrote:

    >> I guess it's because USENET is a lot older than the WWW and wide
    >> spread internet access. USENET originally was used by researchers
    >> as a forum to discuss their work.


    > That the content is text (at least in Usenet's origin), is a factor. I
    > suppose folks using Usenet as a source of pr0n or warez may have more need
    > of a gui "reader" -- although collecting binaries is hardly reading.


    In my case I use pan and I guess that's a GUI reader. I prefer it (have
    used the others) because I can do a lot of things much faster than I can
    with other readers. For the way I use a newsreader the editor is the
    most important part. This requirement goes as far back as the days of
    BBS's and FIDO, that is prior to USENET being widely available. I used
    Blue Wave reader with Boxer as the external editor, as I had macros,
    multiple pane capability, and so on. Today pan with kate meets my
    requirements.

    BTW, a lot of folks didn't want to see the public get on USENET as they
    feared it would be drug down by ill mannered postings. I guess they might
    have had well founded concerns (see rm).

    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  5. Re: gui musings

    ANC trolled:

    > It's hard to say just whom the 'lead dog' is here, but I still
    > think it is Dan C.


    And that shows us just how out of touch you are. There are some
    around here who have been real nasty, but unlike Dan C, they have
    gotten by because everyone knew, or at least suspected, that they
    knew what they were talking about. Not the case with Dan C. Of
    course, it's not the case with you, either, so perhaps we can
    understand why you are so easily impressed with Dan C.

    > if for no other reason than the other dogs who see dominance
    > simply follow his lead and 'pile on.'


    Nobody follows Dan C's lead. That's asinine. When he enters a
    thread, the thread is over. And he never, ever, starts a thread.

    > In all the years I've been tormenting this group, I don't think
    > I've ever seen anyone with 'reason' (and there are some... Sylvan,
    > Crows, Macon, Melissa, Guy, Allen, and others)


    Sylvain? Two Ravens? Macon and Guy are the same person. And are
    you referring to The Coward Hicks when you say "Allen?" Isn't he
    your former "lead dog?" You don't even know the people here, do you
    Al?

    > ever dare say "Dan, you've crossed the line... STFU."


    That's because nobody, except you and a few newcomers, ever read
    anything he says.

    > The collective psychology of this group is like none I've seen on
    > any other Usenet group. I simply do not know why Slackware
    > attracts so many sociopaths. My guess is that Slackware, since it
    > is not a good (or even fair) distro for newbies new to Linux, new
    > people don't join... and the few who do get so turned off by the
    > stink of this place that they take their legitimate questions to
    > the Linux Q. site. Thus this NG has degenerated into an in-bred
    > gene pool of people who simply like to fight. That does NOT mean
    > that there aren't some excellent technicians here, because there
    > are. But no one wants to endure the insults and the brickbats
    > necessary to 'survive' here.


    And that's why you aren't around much anymore? Can't take it? And
    yet here you are handing out the insults and the brickbats with the
    best of them.

    Go back to sleep.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  6. Re: gui musings

    Ron Gibson trolled:

    > This requirement goes as far back as the days of BBS's and FIDO,
    > that is prior to USENET being widely available. I used Blue Wave
    > reader with Boxer as the external editor, as I had macros,
    > multiple pane capability, and so on. Today pan with kate meets my
    > requirements.


    We used to use Boxer, for OS/2 as well as msdos. It was great. It
    even served as a quick and dirty wordprocessor, with page numbers
    and margins and everything. Years ago, we once emailed the boxer
    people about whether they were going to compile their product for
    linux. They said it was unlikely because linux people expected
    everything for free. That's too bad.

    > BTW, a lot of folks didn't want to see the public get on USENET as
    > they feared it would be drug down by ill mannered postings. I
    > guess they might have had well founded concerns (see rm).


    Now, that's not nice. You just launched a totally gratuitous
    insult our way and yet you call us "ill mannered?"

    There is no reason for that sort of behaviour. We realize that some
    of you envy our technical knowledge, but still, there is no call for
    that.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: gui musings

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:12:51 +0000, ANC wrote:

    > I'm the minor troll here.


    Son, this was a retarded post.

    Is that your best?

    And like Carlos Mencia has said,

    "I do not disrespect those retarded from birth. The ones I'm talking
    about are the ones that start "Doh da duh" years after birth. You know
    what I am talking about".

    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  8. Re: gui musings

    ANC wrote:
    >

    .... snip ...
    >
    > It's hard to say just whom the 'lead dog' is here, but I still
    > think it is Dan C., if for no other reason than the other dogs who
    > see dominance simply follow his lead and 'pile on.' In all the
    > years I've been tormenting this group, I don't think I've ever
    > seen anyone with 'reason' (and there are some... Sylvan, Crows,
    > Macon, Melissa, Guy, Allen, and others) ever dare say "Dan, you've
    > crossed the line... STFU." Not that it would do much good, but
    > this community unlike those of other distros tolerate, actually
    > emulate the likes of Dan C.


    I think the reason is simple. He is plonked, and most never see
    his trash.

    --



    cbfalconer at maineline dot net


    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  9. Re: gui musings

    Ron Gibson trolled:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:12:51 +0000, ANC wrote:
    >
    >> I'm the minor troll here.


    > Son, this was a retarded post.


    That's for sure. Mr. Gibson is the minor troll around here. Don't
    be going around trying to steal his thunder.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: gui musings

    Theodore Heise wrote:
    > My understanding is that you are exactly right about the original
    > terminology--but since the original network (UUCP) is nearly
    > extinct, does that mean Usenet doesn't exist? Or do you consider
    > the current largely nntp-based exchange system to be Usenet?


    UseNet itself, either through uucp or other transfer mechanisms, is
    ONE of the networks that went up into the InterNet (BitNet, UseNet,
    ArpaNet, etc.). UseNet itself was more then just the news transfer
    (e.g. e-mail with the ! kind of addresses, file transfer, etc.).
    The latter (file transfer) is where the name uucp (Unix to Unix CoPy)
    comes FROM. Of course uucp nowadays has been almost completely been
    abandoned, it is all tcp/ip now.
    --
    ************************************************** ******************
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **
    ** snail-mail: P.O. Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands **
    ************************************************** ******************

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5