gui musings - Slackware

This is a discussion on gui musings - Slackware ; On 2007-06-25, Rhonda Moffat wrote: > We're lost because you seem to have clipped away the context. What > have we been denying forever? Oh sure, plead ingnorance of your own posts. OK, here: > What did we say? We'll ...

  1. Re: gui musings

    On 2007-06-25, Rhonda Moffat wrote:

    > We're lost because you seem to have clipped away the context. What
    > have we been denying forever?

    Oh sure, plead ingnorance of your own posts. OK, here:

    > What did we say? We'll say it again: "1. installation routines
    > should be gui based as much as possible."

    > You can't bring up the gui first when you are installing the OS.
    > We'll leave it to you to figure out why.

    Howzabout we leave it up to you to explain why you keep contradicting
    yourself in an effort to justify your point of view. And, why do you
    keep insisting everything should be gui based? I came from a gui
    based environment, Windows to be exact. So what? I still use x-based
    windows with slackware. But, I've found many apps suit my needs from
    the CLI. Why does that bother you? What the Hell is your problem?
    You prefer windows/guis.... good the f*sk for you. I like some CLI
    apps. Why should you care?

    This is why you are THE troll in this group. No one doubts your
    knowledge, but it gets old, you trying to convert a buncha folks who's
    preferences are different than yours. You are not going to change
    anyone's mind anymore than we are going to change yours. My point?
    Give it a rest, troll.

    nb

  2. Re: gui musings

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:00:34 -0600, King Beowulf wrote:

    >> Free clue: Thunderbird sucks (badly) for Usenet. It's a fine email
    >> client.

    > I disagree. Thunderbird is more than adequate as a newsreader. It is
    > simple to set up and doesn't get in the way with a lot of features many
    > do not use anyway. I've used pan as well and have found it useful.
    > However, the GUIness of it need improvement - options and settings are
    > not located in obvious locations. Just my opinion.

    What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's nearly
    complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    I do like it for email, and use it daily for that.

  3. Re: gui musings

    Dan C wrote:

    > What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's nearly
    > complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    Usenet veterans don't use threading. They sort the messages by
    date. Threading is for newbies.

    As for filtering, the fact is that almost everybody filters you and
    not you, them, so filtering is not a consideration for you.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  4. Re: gui musings

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2007-06-25, Rhonda Moffat wrote:

    >> What did we say? We'll say it again: "1. installation
    >> routines should be gui based as much as possible."

    >> You can't bring up the gui first when you are installing the
    >> OS. We'll leave it to you to figure out why.

    > Howzabout we leave it up to you to explain why you keep
    > contradicting yourself in an effort to justify your point of
    > view.

    There is no contradiction here, little one. In the first line we
    stated that installation routines should be gui based as much as
    possible. That means that _all_ application installation routines
    should be gui based. And OS installation routines should be gui
    based once the libraries and programs necessary for gui operation
    have been installed. And we aren't talking out of personal
    preference. We are talking about what is best for the future of linux.

    Now why are you having a problem understanding this? If you say
    that we have contradicted ourself, then please produce the
    contradicting statements and explain why those statements
    contradict each other.

    > And, why do you keep insisting everything should be gui based?
    > I came from a gui based environment, Windows to be exact. So
    > what? I still use x-based windows with slackware. But, I've
    > found many apps suit my needs from the CLI. Why does that
    > bother you? What the Hell is your problem? You prefer
    > windows/guis.... good the f*sk for you. I like some CLI apps.
    > Why should you care?

    We advocate more extensive use of guis because we want linux to be
    more than a hobbyist distro. We want it to compete as a desktop in
    the real world. Now if microsoft was still pushing msdos then a
    CLI based linux would be a more than suitable competitor. But
    msdos was left behind more than a decade ago when gui based shells
    became the standard interface in desktop computing.

    If linux wants to compete with the big boys, it has to have a
    solid, widely used, and widely recognized gui based shell.

    > This is why you are THE troll in this group. No one doubts your
    > knowledge, but it gets old, you trying to convert a buncha
    > folks who's preferences are different than yours. You are not
    > going to change anyone's mind anymore than we are going to
    > change yours. My point? Give it a rest, troll.

    We're talking about something that is much bigger than you and what
    you like to do with a computer. We are not trying to "convert"
    anyone. We are just pointing out that the future of X is the
    future of linux. As X does, so does linux.

    Maybe someday someone will say, as notbob does, so does linux.

    But we seriously doubt it.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: gui musings

    A Guy Called LittleJohnson wrote:

    What on earth is all this crap? What's your point?\

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  6. Re: gui musings

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:16:40 +0000, Roland Morrison wrote:

    >> What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's nearly
    >> complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    > Usenet veterans don't use threading. They sort the messages by
    > date. Threading is for newbies.

    Don't be silly, you silly nymshifter. Usenet veterans, at least those who
    use a proper newsreader, sort by date and thread. Since you seem to have
    shifted to using a GUI newsreader, you should try Pan and perhaps you'd
    see firsthand what you've been missing.

    > As for filtering, the fact is that almost everybody filters you and not
    > you, them, so filtering is not a consideration for you.

    Har! Wasn't I supposed to be in your killfile, or do you have an empty
    one that came with your new name?

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off.

  7. Re: gui musings

    Rhonda Moffat wrote:
    >>> We have been using

    >> We? Who?

    > Us. We. As in all of us and not you.

    LOL

    >>> We are extremely impressed with thunderbird. We never used it much
    >>> before and we just had it lying around out of interest. But this
    >>> thing, used with firefox

    >> I don't see any benefit of using it 'with firefox'.

    > We know that you don't see the benefit. That's why we are telling you
    > that there is a benefit.

    Now this really put a smile on my face. Contrary to usual reaction, this
    time you managed to make me laugh.

    Thanks.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://home.gna.org/vodovod

  8. Re: gui musings

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:16:40 +0000, Roland Morrison wrote:
    >
    >>> What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's nearly
    >>> complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    >> Usenet veterans don't use threading. They sort the messages by
    >> date. Threading is for newbies.

    > Don't be silly, you silly nymshifter. Usenet veterans, at least those who
    > use a proper newsreader, sort by date and thread. Since you seem to have
    > shifted to using a GUI newsreader, you should try Pan and perhaps you'd
    > see firsthand what you've been missing.

    I don't like pan and i don't like thunderbird as well: both have
    annoying quirks eg. When pan loses internet connection it starts using
    all of the cpu time and becomes unusable i have to pkill, killall or
    kill -KILL it and restart it. same goes for thunderbird it crashes way
    too often and gives some stupid error in big cowlettres saying something
    about a //jar file

  9. Re: gui musings

    goarilla wrote:

    > I don't like pan and i don't like thunderbird as well: both have
    > annoying quirks eg. When pan loses internet connection it starts using
    > all of the cpu time and becomes unusable i have to pkill, killall or
    > kill -KILL it and restart it. same goes for thunderbird it crashes way
    > too often and gives some stupid error in big cowlettres saying something
    > about a //jar file

    I use both and have never seen this kind of behaviour. It's not the software.

  10. Re: gui musings

    On 2007-06-26, Roland Morrison wrote:

    > We advocate more extensive use of guis because we want linux to be
    > more than a hobbyist distro. We want it to compete as a desktop in
    > the real world. Now if microsoft

    Why do you insist Linux be like Windows, that it compete with Windows
    on Windows level? It's not Windows. If I want Windblows, I'll use
    Windows!! Why can't you understand that? Geez, just how freakin'
    dumb are you?

    I use CLI apps because I WANT TO!! No bizarre l337 bull****, no
    desire to be some sort of hax0r geek, I just prefer it for SOME
    functions. Yes, it's that simple. I also use GUIs when they are more
    efficient and better suited, for graphics, for example. Let's face
    it, no one makes a CLI version of gimp and aren't likely to, for
    obvious reasons.

    You rail on and on for the universal use of GUIs. Why? You say you
    prefer GUIs, yet you use tin? Why. You say CLI is dead, yet admit it
    has its place. Make up yer friggin' mind.

    Everyone has preferences. That's why there is almost always a
    "preferences/options" function on most apps. It's pretty obvious
    folks who use Slackware are ppl who PREFER the CLI. So, what the Hell
    is your problem. Why can't you just let it go at that? ...unless
    you really are just a simple troll.

    nb

    was still pushing msdos then a
    > CLI based linux would be a more than suitable competitor. But
    > msdos was left behind more than a decade ago when gui based shells
    > became the standard interface in desktop computing.
    >
    > If linux wants to compete with the big boys, it has to have a
    > solid, widely used, and widely recognized gui based shell.
    >
    >> This is why you are THE troll in this group. No one doubts your
    >> knowledge, but it gets old, you trying to convert a buncha
    >> folks who's preferences are different than yours. You are not
    >> going to change anyone's mind anymore than we are going to
    >> change yours. My point? Give it a rest, troll.

    > We're talking about something that is much bigger than you and what
    > you like to do with a computer. We are not trying to "convert"
    > anyone. We are just pointing out that the future of X is the
    > future of linux. As X does, so does linux.
    >
    > Maybe someday someone will say, as notbob does, so does linux.
    >
    > But we seriously doubt it.
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

  11. Re: gui musings

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:59:22 +0200, goarilla wrote:

    >> Don't be silly, you silly nymshifter. Usenet veterans, at least those
    >> who use a proper newsreader, sort by date and thread. Since you seem
    >> to have shifted to using a GUI newsreader, you should try Pan and
    >> perhaps you'd see firsthand what you've been missing.

    > I don't like pan and i don't like thunderbird as well: both have
    > annoying quirks eg. When pan loses internet connection it starts using
    > all of the cpu time and becomes unusable i have to pkill, killall or
    > kill -KILL it and restart it.

    I have used Pan for *years* and have *never once* seen that happen.

    > same goes for thunderbird it crashes way too often and gives some stupid
    > error in big cowlettres saying something about a //jar file

    Never seen that either, and it doesn't even make sense, as Thunderbird is
    not a Java application (jar file). Shrug. Strange that you are still
    using Thunderbird.... Perhaps you should try slrn, and/or get a more
    reliable internet connection.

  12. Re: gui musings

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:38:22 -0500, notbob wrote:

    > folks who use Slackware are ppl who PREFER the CLI. So, what the Hell
    > is your problem. Why can't you just let it go at that? ...unless
    > you really are just a simple troll.

    He really is just a simple troll, and an ignorant fool, all wrapped up in
    one multiple-personality body. Quite pitiful to watch, but occasionally
    funny to laugh at.

  13. Re: gui musings

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:07:10 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > I have used Pan for *years* and have *never once* seen that happen.

    I am able to agree with even DanC on this one.

    Pan is far from perfect, but it doesn't generally go mad.

  14. Re: gui musings

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2007-06-26, Roland Morrison
    > wrote:

    > Why do you insist Linux be like Windows, that it compete with
    > Windows on Windows level? It's not Windows. If I want
    > Windblows, I'll use Windows!! Why can't you understand that?
    > Geez, just how freakin' dumb are you?

    Great. So you don't care if linux survives, except, perhaps, as a
    hobbyist entity?

    > I use CLI apps because I WANT TO!! No bizarre l337 bull****, no
    > desire to be some sort of hax0r geek, I just prefer it for SOME
    > functions. Yes, it's that simple.

    Sure. Some people like driving Model T Fords, as well. It's when
    those people go around saying that the Model T's are built better,
    run faster, and last longer than a Toyota, that we know that we are
    dealing with marginally intelligent types.

    > I also use GUIs when they are more efficient and better suited,
    > for graphics, for example. Let's face it, no one makes a CLI
    > version of gimp and aren't likely to, for obvious reasons.

    But the gui environment works better for virtually all modern software.

    > You rail on and on for the universal use of GUIs. Why? You say
    > you prefer GUIs, yet you use tin? Why. You say CLI is dead,
    > yet admit it has its place. Make up yer friggin' mind.

    No, actually we much, much, prefer the CLI and we probably use it
    far more extensively than you do. But if we were learning how to
    do things now, we would learn the modern way, and we would use the
    best software available to do that. And at the current time, that
    software is windoze. But linux is not that far behind and once
    dinosaurs like you have died off, then linux has a chance to grow
    into being recognized as a legitimate desktop operating system.

    > Everyone has preferences. That's why there is almost always a
    > "preferences/options" function on most apps. It's pretty
    > obvious folks who use Slackware are ppl who PREFER the CLI.

    Hardly. Folks who use slackware do so because they either always
    have (like us) or they think that the CLI is cool. (like you)

    > So,
    > what the Hell is your problem. Why can't you just let it go at
    > that? ...unless you really are just a simple troll.

    We don't care about your preferences. You have nothing of
    substance to add, either to the computing world, or even the human
    race. Which shell you use is totally meaningless.

    But we are interested in the new users who will come to linux if it
    has a modern face, and will stay away from linux if it doesn't.
    Those of us who care about linux (and you only care about yourself)
    have to do what we can to make sure that linux presents a modern face.

    Top-posting trash like you don't count.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  15. Re: gui musings

    On 2007-06-26, Roland Morrison wrote:

    [snip blatant rm lies]

    > Top-posting....

    yep ....troll

    nb

  16. Re: gui musings

    the_bmac wrote:
    > goarilla wrote:
    >
    >> I don't like pan and i don't like thunderbird as well: both have
    >> annoying quirks eg. When pan loses internet connection it starts using
    >> all of the cpu time and becomes unusable i have to pkill, killall or
    >> kill -KILL it and restart it. same goes for thunderbird it crashes way
    >> too often and gives some stupid error in big cowlettres saying
    >> something about a //jar file

    > I use both and have never seen this kind of behaviour. It's not the
    > software.

    same here. Only time I have app instability is when I do something whacky to my
    antique slack boxes while playing around.

  17. Re: gui musings

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:00:34 -0600, King Beowulf wrote:
    >
    >>> Free clue: Thunderbird sucks (badly) for Usenet. It's a fine email
    >>> client.

    >> I disagree. Thunderbird is more than adequate as a newsreader. It is
    >> simple to set up and doesn't get in the way with a lot of features many
    >> do not use anyway. I've used pan as well and have found it useful.
    >> However, the GUIness of it need improvement - options and settings are
    >> not located in obvious locations. Just my opinion.

    > What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's nearly
    > complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    Thunderbird filtering is primitive - mostly useful for sorting email. I have it set
    up to sort by date then thread. Granted threading is simple, but I like simplicity
    (ie KISS). Usenet doesn't have so much spam (at least not yet) that I need anything
    more that it provides. As I said, just my opinion.

    > I do like it for email, and use it daily for that.

  18. Re: gui musings

    the_bmac wrote:
    > goarilla wrote:
    >
    >> I don't like pan and i don't like thunderbird as well: both have
    >> annoying quirks eg. When pan loses internet connection it starts
    >> using all of the cpu time and becomes unusable i have to pkill,
    >> killall or kill -KILL it and restart it. same goes for thunderbird
    >> it crashes way too often and gives some stupid error in big
    >> cowlettres saying something about a //jar file

    > I use both and have never seen this kind of behaviour. It's not
    > the software.

    I suspect the problem lies somewhere betweeen the seat and the
    keyboard. HTH.

    --

    cbfalconer at maineline dot net

  19. Re: gui musings

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:37:38 -0600, King Beowulf wrote:

    >> What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's nearly
    >> complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    > Thunderbird filtering is primitive - mostly useful for sorting email. I
    > have it set up to sort by date then thread. Granted threading is simple,
    > but I like simplicity (ie KISS). Usenet doesn't have so much spam (at
    > least not yet) that I need anything more that it provides. As I said,
    > just my opinion.

    That and Seabirds Newsreader are OK for one or two NG's but if you
    subscribe to a lot of NG's they are just too clumsy for me to use.

    The thing I really hate about them is I can't seem to delete a damn
    message. I mean I like to scroll through and delete what I don't want to
    read, right then.

    I have screwed around with the settings and I'll be damned if I can
    figure out how to do that. An intuitive attempt at trying the delete key
    is interperted as a "Cancel Article" request which you can only do for
    your own articles and my server (news.verizon.net) won't even do cancels
    anymore.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  20. Re: gui musings

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:37:38 -0600, King Beowulf wrote:
    >
    >>> What makes Thunderbird suck is it's poor threading, and it's
    >>> nearly complete lack of filtering/scoring ability.

    >> Thunderbird filtering is primitive - mostly useful for sorting
    >> email. I have it set up to sort by date then thread. Granted
    >> threading is simple, but I like simplicity (ie KISS). Usenet
    >> doesn't have so much spam (at least not yet) that I need
    >> anything more that it provides. As I said, just my opinion.

    > That and Seabirds Newsreader are OK for one or two NG's but if
    > you subscribe to a lot of NG's they are just too clumsy for me
    > to use.
    >
    > The thing I really hate about them is I can't seem to delete a
    > damn message. I mean I like to scroll through and delete what I
    > don't want to read, right then.

    Yes you can. Just mark it as read, and set the system to show you
    only unread messages.

    --

    cbfalconer at maineline dot net