Read/write access to ntfs partitions - Slackware

This is a discussion on Read/write access to ntfs partitions - Slackware ; Slax, a bootable cdr Slackware derivative, has ntfs read write permissions out of the box and Knoppix also has it with a few mouse clicks (one for mounting the ntfs partition, another to change from ro to rw.) Is a ...

  1. Read/write access to ntfs partitions

    Slax, a bootable cdr Slackware derivative, has ntfs read write
    permissions out of the box and Knoppix also has it with a few mouse
    clicks (one for mounting the ntfs partition, another to change from
    ro to rw.) Is a similar facility in the works for Slackware? The
    fewer install gyrations the better. Right now I reboot under Slax cdr
    and use it to move the file.

    John C.

  2. Re: Read/write access to ntfs partitions

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > Slax, a bootable cdr Slackware derivative, has ntfs read write
    > permissions out of the box and Knoppix also has it with a few mouse
    > clicks (one for mounting the ntfs partition, another to change from
    > ro to rw.) Is a similar facility in the works for Slackware? The
    > fewer install gyrations the better. Right now I reboot under Slax cdr
    > and use it to move the file.
    >
    > John C.

    Yes but not out of the box; you must install it:

    Download fuse: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
    and compile with ./configure --enable-kernel-module

    Download ntfs-3g: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

    make ntfs-3g suid (necessary if you want to have a mount entry to fstab
    accessible by users).

    mount your partition: mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/ /mnt/windows

    Olive

  3. Re: Read/write access to ntfs partitions

    In article <1182537521.849781.256800@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:

    > Slax, a bootable cdr Slackware derivative, has ntfs read write
    > permissions out of the box and Knoppix also has it with a few mouse
    > clicks (one for mounting the ntfs partition, another to change from
    > ro to rw.) Is a similar facility in the works for Slackware? The
    > fewer install gyrations the better. Right now I reboot under Slax cdr
    > and use it to move the file.

    Get NTFS-3G:
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=10656

    which requires FUSE:
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=10655

    Hope this helps.

    - Martijn

  4. Re: Read/write access to ntfs partitions

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:40:24 +0200, Olive wrote:

    > Download fuse: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/ and compile with ./configure
    > --enable-kernel-module

    no need for latest kernels... 2.6.19/20/21

+ Reply to Thread