Linux Distribution and Installer - Slackware

This is a discussion on Linux Distribution and Installer - Slackware ; I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation, package support etc. Also i like to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

  1. Linux Distribution and Installer

    I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    regards,
    Abhilash

  2. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash wrote:

    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. ...

    Questions:

    - why base a distribution on either Slackware or Debian (or any
    other distribution)? If someone wants to use Slackware, wouldn't they
    just use Slackware's Slackware? Same for Debian, etc. (these have
    already been done; are you intending to provide anything that would be
    new?)

    - If Slackware is "close, but not quite right", wouldn't "install
    Slackware then adjust until it's just right" be a better way to go
    than "install this other Slackware-based distribution, then adjust
    *it* until it's just right"?

    - Do we honestly need yet another Linux distribution (does the world
    even need all those that are already out there?) or do we perhaps need
    new contributions for the distributions that already exist? In other
    words, perhaps your efforts would provide greater overall benefit
    (and reap greater appreciation) if you were to provide packages
    (and documentation?) for Slackware of the software that you feel
    is missing, rather than create a new Slackware-based distribution
    containing those same packages?

    Just some points to consider, really. Good luck either way ...

  3. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:11:19 +0000, Abhilash wrote:

    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    > on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.
    >
    > regards,
    > Abhilash

    I have to agree with the other responder - how about a script or a howto
    to do what mods you have in mine.

    AFAIK there is WINE and there are several commercial products based on
    WINE.

  4. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash (abhilashk.cse@gmail.com) writes:
    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    > on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    Creating a new distribution should not be an act of vanity. There
    needs to be some good reason for doing so, or it will never serve
    a purpose. And until you can actually come up with a list, what
    distribution to base it on means nothing, since the finished product
    may define what you base it on.

    Making a distribution is not some simple act of tossing applications
    together. Unless you have experience, at the very least, with
    various distributions so you can actually have a handle on "ease of
    use" then you aren't likely ready to create your own distribution.

    Michael

  5. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On 2007-06-21, Abhilash wrote:

    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    Why bother. Just stay with Windoze.

    nb

  6. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash trolled:

    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    > on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    If you know enough about linux to build a distro, why would you be
    asking simplistic general questions like this?

    We think you're either an idiot or a troll. Either way, you can
    bugger off and we doubt anyone will notice.

    cordially, as always,

    mike

  7. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash wrote:
    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or debian.

    Good luck! As this is a Slackware group we will of course recomend that
    you base it on Slackware. It is easy to create custom Slackware compatible
    packages and it is also rather easy to modify the Slackware install
    procedure.

    > Also i like to run some of the popular windows apps and games, any
    > suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    "Wine Is No Emulator", but you probably already knew that... Other
    approaches than wine to run Windows applications is to run an entire
    Windows OS in an emulator like Qemu. However, doing so also requires a
    licence of MS Windows.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  8. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Henrik Carlqvist trolled:
    > Abhilash wrote:

    >> I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    >> debian.

    > Good luck! As this is a Slackware group we will of course recomend
    > that you base it on Slackware. It is easy to create custom
    > Slackware compatible packages and it is also rather easy to modify
    > the Slackware install procedure.

    What is the point of "basing" it on slackware, when slackware
    already exists?

    >> Also i like to run some of the popular windows apps and games,
    >> any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    > "Wine Is No Emulator", but you probably already knew that... Other

    No, we don't think that he did, actually.

    > approaches than wine to run Windows applications is to run an
    > entire Windows OS in an emulator like Qemu. However, doing so also
    > requires a licence of MS Windows.

    Do you really think that you need to point this out to somebody
    competent enough to construct their own distro?

    cordially, as always,

    mike

  9. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:14:10 +0000, B.Hoffmann wrote:

    > Very off-topic, this new version of pan is starting to seriously annoy
    > me. 0.14 was better. Off to compile it (or use Opera?).

    I was able to just copy the pan binary over to Suse and it worked.

    What is up with this new version - Talk about a giant sep backwards ???

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:11:19 +0000, Abhilash wrote:

    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    Bugger off, Win-droid.

  11. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash wrote:
    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    > on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    > package support etc.

    Before 'basing' your distribution on anything, perhaps you should try to
    use Linux for a while and learn what it really is.

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://home.gna.org/vodovod

  12. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    2007-06-21, Responding to Ron Gibson...
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:14:10 +0000, B.Hoffmann wrote:
    >
    >> Very off-topic, this new version of pan is starting to seriously annoy
    >> me. 0.14 was better. Off to compile it (or use Opera?).

    > I was able to just copy the pan binary over to Suse and it worked.
    >
    > What is up with this new version - Talk about a giant sep backwards ???

    I recently tried 0.14.2.91 and was not impressed. Its nice and GUI to
    start with, but compared to SLRN, and dare I say it, even Pine, is
    clumsy and limited. To me it felt as if I'd gone back to using
    Windows, with all the limitations and "promise over function" I
    recall from those days. (Shudder!)

    Its a pity as Pan is a damn good idea. If it had auto-saved outgoing
    posts, and been able to *properly* deploy SLRN scorefiles instead of
    just pretending, then it would have at least got itself up to the
    same basic function standards as SLRN etc.

    And the latest version is losing fans already? Has M$ got itself
    covertly involved in it's development maybe?

    --
    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  13. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    "Sylvain Robitaille" escreveu na mensagem
    > Abhilash wrote:
    >
    >> I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    >> debian. ...

    > Questions:
    >
    > - why base a distribution on either Slackware or Debian (or any
    > other distribution)? If someone wants to use Slackware, wouldn't they
    > just use Slackware's Slackware? Same for Debian, etc. (these have
    > already been done; are you intending to provide anything that would be
    > new?)

    Hello Sylvain;

    Maybe the OP wants to create a new distribution just for his own educational
    purposes. I'm by no means familiar with any stage at all of software
    development cycle, but I can only imagine that putting up a Linux distro is
    a heavyweight exercise in many aspects: software development, debugging,
    project management, Q&A, etc.. Surely looks good on anyone's resumé...

    Regards

    Paulo

  14. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:55:03 +0000, Mike wrote:

    > Its a pity as Pan is a damn good idea. If it had auto-saved outgoing
    > posts, and been able to *properly* deploy SLRN scorefiles instead of
    > just pretending, then it would have at least got itself up to the
    > same basic function standards as SLRN etc.

    Pan does auto-save outgoing posts. On my system they're in
    ~/.pan/messages/folders/pan.sent . I think that is automatically set up
    by the application. Perhaps you should check there?

    AFAIK, Pan does use the same scorefile syntax as slrn. It could be that
    it doesn't completely, but it's close.

    > And the latest version is losing fans already? Has M$ got itself
    > covertly involved in it's development maybe?

    The latest (beta) versions are a complete re-write in a different
    programming language (C++ I think), as compared to the (stable) version
    which was written in C, and has more features. Most longtime Pan users
    prefer the older branch.

  15. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash wrote:
    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    > on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.
    >
    > regards,
    > Abhilash

    All, I suspect the OP was looking for recommendations as to which distro
    to use but was trying to use terminology he was not au fait with.

    If the OP is still watching, and the lack of responses suggest that they
    are not, the detail in your post would indicate that you are not ready
    to create your own distribution.
    If it is an installation you are looking for, then most in here would
    suggest Slackware, myself included. Slackware might not be the easiest
    distribution to 'polish' but it is the distribution that teaches you
    most about Linux.

    HTH,

    Bogwitch.

  16. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Paulo Costa wrote:

    > Maybe the OP wants to create a new distribution just for his own
    > educational purposes. I'm by no means familiar with any stage at all
    > of software development cycle, but I can only imagine that putting up
    > a Linux distro is a heavyweight exercise in many aspects: software
    > development, debugging, project management, Q&A, etc.. Surely looks
    > good on anyone's resumé...

    Agreed, but if these are the goals (and they very well could be), the way
    to go would be to offer something new, not to simply rehash something
    that's already been done. "I rehashed an existing Linux distribution
    in my spare time" does not look as good on a resume as "I created foo
    optimizations for bar Linux distribution," (or "I created a completely new
    Linux distribution to offer such and such features that were non-existent
    in any available distribution, and it has grown to so-many users.")

    The education part of that would likely occur either from careful
    examination of all the existing distribution styles, rather than just
    one or another, so the original question simply would not be applicable
    in that case. You would want to know that the "missing" feature you're
    intending to add hasn't already been resolved, right?

    As a potential employer, I would appreciate the ability to take
    initiative and to complete the project in either case, but I would be
    more likely impressed to know that the applicant has in-depth knowledge
    of "bar-distribution" and added "foo optimizations" to it, than to
    believe that he took someone else's work, repackaged it, called it his
    own, then wondered why so few people have used it.

  17. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Bogwitch wrote:

    > If it is an installation you are looking for, then most in here
    > would suggest Slackware, myself included. Slackware might not be
    > the easiest distribution to 'polish' but it is the distribution
    > that teaches you most about Linux.

    No. Slackware teaches you more about the bash shell. It doesn't
    teach you anymore about linux than any other linux distro.

    Like many, you are confusing the interface, the shell, with the OS
    itself. The shell is a layer between linux and the user and the
    only thing you are learning with slack is an old, clumsy, shell,
    with a high learning curve. Any good book on operating systems will
    explain this to you in greater detail. We encourage you people to
    check these things out instead of sticking your heads in the sand,
    plugging your ears, and saying "not so."

    You don't learn anymore about an OS from selecting a command option
    from a help screen, as in slackware, or from a gui menu, as in
    windoze. You don't learn anything more about an OS by typing a name
    into a text file someplace and clicking on an option choice in a gui
    menu. The real differences are that the gui help screen is a lot
    faster to use, a lot faster to learn, and a lot more intuitive to
    those who have cut their teeth on guis. The difference between a
    modern gui and the old fashioned shell is the difference between a
    real ship, and a ship in a bottle.

    Old unix hackers are already comfortable with that shell and that is
    the only reason that slackware still exists. Many younger people
    make the same mistake you are making and choose slackware.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  18. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:27:40 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > The latest (beta) versions are a complete re-write in a different
    > programming language (C++ I think), as compared to the (stable) version
    > which was written in C, and has more features. Most longtime Pan users
    > prefer the older branch.

    Perhaps I should look at that. I did have a newer version and as far as
    I could tell rules and filters were useless. I have a rule set to follow
    any thread that I was in and highlight them in the headers panel, for
    example. That looked to be impossible with what I saw (This was a test
    drive of OpenSuse 10.2).

    However if there is a beta that was newer than that version (I
    immediately chucked that piece-o-crap) I had, and don't recall now the
    exact version number, then perhaps I should give it a look. Or not and
    wait for a newer version yet?

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  19. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Abhilash wrote :

    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian.

    Take a look at "ROCK Linux - The Distribution Build Kit":

    --
    Thomas O.

  20. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:57:23 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:14:10 +0000, B.Hoffmann wrote:
    >
    >> Very off-topic, this new version of pan is starting to seriously annoy
    >> me. 0.14 was better. Off to compile it (or use Opera?).

    > I was able to just copy the pan binary over to Suse and it worked.
    >
    > What is up with this new version - Talk about a giant sep backwards ???

    Yes. 0.131 seems to have seriously lost functionality compared to 0.14.1
    and just seems dumbed down. Few options seem to be available and if they
    are they are not to be found in the cumbersome context menus. Too much of
    the Gnome or even Windows philosophy? No seriously, on Win there are
    actually better readers than this, like Xnews.

    This poster might have to go back to Mozilla/Seamonkey which is not too
    advanced but is at least intuitive. Not too impressed with Opera's
    functionality and design in regards to news/mail either. Or might have to
    learn using something like slrn, pine or emacs for my reading pleasure,
    it might be worth it.

    --
    B.Hoffmann

+ Reply to Thread