Linux Distribution and Installer - Slackware

This is a discussion on Linux Distribution and Installer - Slackware ; Paulo Alexandre wrote: > All this to say that I think the OP is looking, no so much for a new > Linux distro, but to a huge project to create and lead, which will have a > new distro ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Paulo Alexandre wrote:

    > All this to say that I think the OP is looking, no so much for a new
    > Linux distro, but to a huge project to create and lead, which will have a
    > new distro as the result.

    How did you arrive at that conclusion, from reading the post below?

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  2. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > Paulo Alexandre wrote:
    >
    >> All this to say that I think the OP is looking, no so much for a new
    >> Linux distro, but to a huge project to create and lead, which will have a
    >> new distro as the result.

    > How did you arrive at that conclusion, from reading the post below?
    >
    >> I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    >> debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    >> on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    >> package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    >> apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    It was just my thinking, I probably got carried away in my extrapolation;
    what's your point?

    Regards

    Paulo

  3. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Paulo Alexandre (bonowax@hot.nospam.mail.com) writes:
    > Two Ravens wrote:
    >
    >> Paulo Alexandre wrote:
    >>
    >>> All this to say that I think the OP is looking, no so much for a new
    >>> Linux distro, but to a huge project to create and lead, which will have a
    >>> new distro as the result.

    >> How did you arrive at that conclusion, from reading the post below?
    >>
    >>> I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    >>> debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    >>> on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    >>> package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    >>> apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    > It was just my thinking, I probably got carried away in my extrapolation;
    > what's your point?

    I think it was a valid attempt at interpreting the question.

    Except for that first sentence, it could read as just another "which
    distribution" question. The fact that the poster also says nothing
    about why he feels a need for yet another distribution, or can
    even clearly define what he plans to do, is reinforcement. Then bring
    in emulators, and it either creates a big mouthful for someone creating
    a new distribution (and well beyond his means), or it really is that
    he's saying something else.

    That first sentence does seem a bit off, with the two uses of "base".
    Reads a bit like a sentence of mine when I change things mid-sentence,
    and then forget to go back and fix the first part to match:

    "I am planning to install a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    debian."

    Michael

  4. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Jun 21, 2:11 pm, Abhilash wrote:
    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian.

    [snip]
    > any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    Suggestion #1: Include a virtualization tool, like qemu/kqemu or xen
    or vmware
    Suggestion #2: Include an MSDOS emulation, like DOSEMU/FREEDOS or
    Dosbox

  5. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    Paulo Alexandre wrote:

    > It was just my thinking, I probably got carried away in my extrapolation;
    > what's your point?

    There is no 'point', I was just curious as to how you managed to
    extrapolate,

    > All this to say that I think the OP is looking, no so much for a new
    > Linux distro, but to a huge project to create and lead, which will have a
    > new distro as the result.

    from the given information which was,

    > I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    > debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    > on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    > package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    > apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  6. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    "Two Ravens" escreveu na mensagem
    > Paulo Alexandre wrote:
    >
    >> It was just my thinking, I probably got carried away in my extrapolation;
    >> what's your point?

    > There is no 'point', I was just curious as to how you managed to
    > extrapolate,
    >
    >> All this to say that I think the OP is looking, no so much for a new
    >> Linux distro, but to a huge project to create and lead, which will have a
    >> new distro as the result.

    > from the given information which was,
    >
    >> I am planning to base a Linux distro based on either slackware or
    >> debian. I am evaluating both. If anybody have good experience working
    >> on both please throw some ideas like ease-of-use, installation,
    >> package support etc. Also i like to run some of the popular windows
    >> apps and games, any suggetsion of any emulators other than wine.

    > --
    > Two Ravens
    > "...hit the squirrel..."

    My first interpretation of the OP was that he wanted to create a new Linux
    distribtution; the extrapolation begins when I started enumerating reasons
    for creating a new distribution as opposed to colaborate in the enhancement
    of an existing one. I tried to infer the unknown ( why create a new one )
    from what I took as known ( he wanted to create one ).
    Anyway, I'm non-anglophon and so misinterpretations are to be expected...

    Regards

    Paulo

  7. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    "Paulo Costa" wrote:

    > My first interpretation of the OP was that he wanted to create a new
    > Linux distribtution; the extrapolation begins when I started enumerating
    > reasons for creating a new distribution as opposed to colaborate in the
    > enhancement of an existing one. I tried to infer the unknown ( why create
    > a new one ) from what I took as known ( he wanted to create one ).
    > Anyway, I'm non-anglophon and so misinterpretations are to be expected...

    Fair enough, it just seemed a big jump from build my own distribution' to
    heading a big team.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  8. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:40:44 +0100, Paulo Costa wrote:

    > My first interpretation of the OP was that he wanted to create a new Linux
    > distribtution; the extrapolation begins when I started enumerating reasons
    > for creating a new distribution as opposed to colaborate in the enhancement
    > of an existing one. I tried to infer the unknown ( why create a new one )
    > from what I took as known ( he wanted to create one ).

    There are many possibilities that have not been mentioned so far, a few are:

    ++ summer project for extra credit

    ++ learning exercise to understand how linux-live scripts work

    ++ making a standard auto-installation image for an organisation that has a
    preferred list of applications, perhaps including something proprietary
    for which they have a license, but don't want to install separately
    several hundred or thousand times.

    ++ converting a small lab to thin clients and wanting to optimise the
    system image for similar reasons to above.

    Modifying existing distros and remastering is no longer a black art. It's
    simple enough now that it isn't a bad way to expand one's knowledge of
    (certain aspects of) the way Linux works.

  9. Re: Linux Distribution and Installer

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:19:50 +0200, msm wrote:

    > Modifying existing distros and remastering is no longer a black art.
    > It's simple enough now that it isn't a bad way to expand one's
    > knowledge of (certain aspects of) the way Linux works.

    Take a look at VuDu Badger Linux!

    http://www.rsgibson.com/badger.htm

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net