Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350 - Slackware ; hello, * I am installing Slackware on a proliant ml 350, and during installation everything seems to work fine. I am using /dev/hdb with hdb1 as root. /dev/hda is the CD-ROM, so I cannot install the boot record on it. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

  1. Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    hello, *

    I am installing Slackware on a proliant ml 350, and during installation
    everything seems to work fine. I am using /dev/hdb with hdb1 as
    root. /dev/hda is the CD-ROM, so I cannot install the boot record on it.
    Should not be a problem, I guess, I made a boot floppy.

    However, when I boot from floppy, I get the message "cannot find /dev/hdb1"
    (or something similar, I am at home right now), and a kernel panic. Same
    happens when I enter root=/dev/hdb1.
    When I start a Knoppix live CD, I can find and read all /dev/hdbx devices.

    Anybody a suggestion?

  2. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, jjg wrote:
    > hello, *
    > I am installing Slackware on a proliant ml 350, and during installation
    > everything seems to work fine. I am using /dev/hdb with hdb1 as
    > root. /dev/hda is the CD-ROM, so I cannot install the boot record on it.
    > Should not be a problem, I guess, I made a boot floppy.
    > However, when I boot from floppy, I get the message "cannot find /dev/hdb1"
    > (or something similar, I am at home right now), and a kernel panic. Same
    > happens when I enter root=/dev/hdb1.
    > When I start a Knoppix live CD, I can find and read all /dev/hdbx devices.
    > Anybody a suggestion?



    i'd suggest, start by telling us which version of slackware you are
    trying to install, which kernel you are using, and how you made the
    boot floppy.

    i'm curious also about your hardware - why is your cdrom at hda?
    that is an unusual configuration, though it should be okay to do
    it that way ...

    does your system bios allow you to set the sequence which it uses to
    search bootable devices for the boot records? most system bios have
    this feature, and most of those will allow booting from hdb.

    i would assume that you installed your slackware from a cdrom kit;
    if not, tell us more!! otherwise, you -should- be able to use the
    cd 'install-d1' to boot the installed hdb1 system by giving it the
    appropirate boot-time options at the lilo boot prompt. The details
    are specific to the version being used. You should see appropriate
    advice displayed on the installers lilo boot prompt screen.


    HTH,
    --
    score +1 for blocktext
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  3. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    William Hunt wrote:
    [...]
    > i'd suggest, start by telling us which version of slackware you are
    > trying to install, which kernel you are using, and how you made the
    > boot floppy.


    It happens to be slack 10.2 (I have Slack 11 on DVD, but this machine had
    only a CD-ROM). I configured the bare.i kernel

    > i'm curious also about your hardware - why is your cdrom at hda?
    > that is an unusual configuration, though it should be okay to do
    > it that way ...


    Well, it simply was there after I started it up. I haven't yet tried the
    strappings, because I thought it would be OK for the time being.

    > does your system bios allow you to set the sequence which it uses to
    > search bootable devices for the boot records? most system bios have
    > this feature, and most of those will allow booting from hdb.


    Haven't found it yet; but Compaq servers seem to have a rather specific
    terminology during startup; they tell me that if I press F8 (say) I go into
    the something (nothing telling me very much) menu, and if I do I seem to
    come out without much difference... however, I am still learning to know
    this machine...

    > i would assume that you installed your slackware from a cdrom kit;


    Correct. It clearly takes CD-ROM as a boot device

    > if not, tell us more!! otherwise, you -should- be able to use the
    > cd 'install-d1' to boot the installed hdb1 system by giving it the
    > appropirate boot-time options at the lilo boot prompt.


    Well, that's exactly where it fails. I made a boot diskette for /dev/hdb1,
    or I give root=/dev/hdb1 at boot time, and then I get this message telling
    me that the root FS cannot be found :-(



  4. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    jjg wrote:

    > .... I made a boot diskette for /dev/hdb1, or I give root=/dev/hdb1 at
    > boot time, and then I get this message telling me that the root FS
    > cannot be found :-(


    What kind of filesystem did you create for your root partition?
    ext2/ext3 should be covered in the bare.i kernel, but if you used
    reiserfs, I _believe_ that's available only in a kernel module (which
    would require an initrd in order to be able to read the file system that
    contains the module so you can read the file system -- much easier, in
    my opinion, to just use ext2 or ext3 ...)

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Sylvain Robitaille trolled:
    > jjg wrote:


    >> .... I made a boot diskette for /dev/hdb1, or I give root=/dev/hdb1 at
    >> boot time, and then I get this message telling me that the root FS
    >> cannot be found :-(

    >
    > What kind of filesystem did you create for your root partition?
    > ext2/ext3 should be covered in the bare.i kernel, but if you used
    > reiserfs, I _believe_ that's available only in a kernel module (which
    > would require an initrd in order to be able to read the file system that
    > contains the module so you can read the file system -- much easier, in
    > my opinion, to just use ext2 or ext3 ...)


    Resiser is available compiled in to the 2.6.20 kernel.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  6. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350y

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, jjg wrote:
    > William Hunt wrote:

    [...]
    >> i would assume that you installed your slackware from a cdrom kit;

    > Correct. It clearly takes CD-ROM as a boot device
    >
    >> if not, tell us more!! otherwise, you -should- be able to use the
    >> cd 'install-d1' to boot the installed hdb1 system by giving it the
    >> appropirate boot-time options at the lilo boot prompt.

    >
    > Well, that's exactly where it fails. I made a boot diskette for /dev/hdb1,
    > or I give root=/dev/hdb1 at boot time, and then I get this message telling
    > me that the root FS cannot be found :-(


    you -should- be able to boot your installed system using the install-d1
    cdrom you have. Do you know what i mean by "the lilo boot prompt" ?

    if so, trying entering this:

    bare.i root=/dev/hdb1 noinitrd ro


    but if it were my box, i'd just adjust the address jumpers on the
    back of the two drives so that your disk was hda and the cdrom, hdb.
    either that or find the boot sequence options in the compaq cmos setup.
    but, whatever :*)

    HTH
    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  7. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Roger Maynard, impersonating Mike McClain, wrote:

    > Resiser is available compiled in to the 2.6.20 kernel.


    Since the OP wrote, only a couple of messages before that:

    It happens to be slack 10.2 ... I configured the bare.i kernel
    we can be pretty sure that he's not dealing with a 2.6.20 kernel.

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Sylvain Robitaille trolled:
    > Roger Maynard, impersonating Mike McClain, wrote:


    Who? Impersonating whom?

    >> Resiser is available compiled in to the 2.6.20 kernel.

    >
    > Since the OP wrote, only a couple of messages before that:
    >
    > It happens to be slack 10.2 ... I configured the bare.i kernel

    Oh, well, you had clipped that part away in your message, hadn't
    you? We thread by date/time, not thread, so we missed it.

    > we can be pretty sure that he's not dealing with a 2.6.20 kernel.


    Not necessarily. You can compile and run a 2.6.20 on 10.2, can't
    you? Which kernel is he using? We have 2.4.33 hanging around
    (that's the oldest we have) and you can compile reiserfs into that
    kernel.

    Tell us which kernel he is using and we'll download it and check it
    out for you.

    We use ext2, BTW. Always have, and probably always will.

    Occam's Razor.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  9. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Roger Maynard, still impersonating Mike McClain, wrote:

    >> Since the OP wrote, only a couple of messages before that:
    >>
    >> It happens to be slack 10.2 ... I configured the bare.i kernel

    > ...
    >> we can be pretty sure that he's not dealing with a 2.6.20 kernel.

    >
    > Not necessarily.


    No?

    > You can compile and run a 2.6.20 on 10.2, can't you?


    Yes, but that wouldn't be "bare.i" from Slackware-10.2, would it?

    Just as a data point:

    : elvira[syl] ~; cat /etc/slackware-version
    Slackware 10.2.0
    : elvira[syl] ~; uname -r
    2.6.21.3

    I assure you, it ain't about to be confused with "bare.i" ...

    > Which kernel is he using?


    "bare.i", Sherlock. It's one of the preconfigured kernels that ships
    with Slackware. That would be linux-2.4.31, and I'm quite certain that
    Slackware's "bare.i" configuration does *not* include ReiserFS built
    into the kernel.

    > Tell us which kernel he is using ...


    The OP already indicated what kernel he is using: bare.i, from
    Slackware-10.2. He didn't leave it for you to guess at, yet you did
    anyway, *and* you guessed wrong! You go ahead and figure out the rest.

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  10. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350y

    William Hunt wrote:
    [...]
    > you -should- be able to boot your installed system using the install-d1
    > cdrom you have. Do you know what i mean by "the lilo boot prompt" ?


    Yes. At least, I assume that the floppy frow which I try to boot also uses
    lilo...

    >
    > if so, trying entering this:
    >
    > bare.i root=/dev/hdb1 noinitrd ro
    >
    >
    > but if it were my box, i'd just adjust the address jumpers on the
    > back of the two drives so that your disk was hda and the cdrom, hdb.


    Next time (that is next week) I will certainly try that. As I mentioned
    already, this box is quite new to me, and Compaq seems to like putting lots
    of nonstandard options in their CMOS setup.

    BTW, I used defaults in all cases, so I am pretty sure that I am using ext2
    (i would certainly check if I had the box around right now).

    > either that or find the boot sequence options in the compaq cmos setup.
    > but, whatever :*)
    >
    > HTH



  11. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350y

    jjg wrote:

    > BTW, I used defaults in all cases, so I am pretty sure that I am using
    > ext2 (i would certainly check if I had the box around right now).


    You definitely want to check this: there are some recent versions of
    Slackware (of which I believe 10.2 is one) where the first (already
    selected) option when you're prompted to make the filesystem(s) is
    "reiserfs" (thus some people interpret that as being the "default"
    supported option; while it may be "default" in that it's the option
    that is selected with the least possible interaction from you, it is not
    necessarily supported by the "default" kernel, at least without
    modules.)

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  12. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Sylvain Robitaille trolled:
    > Roger Maynard, still impersonating Mike McClain, wrote:


    Who is still doing what to whom?

    What on earth are you going on about?

    >> You can compile and run a 2.6.20 on 10.2, can't you?


    > Yes, but that wouldn't be "bare.i" from Slackware-10.2, would it?


    Guess not. Of course, you could always build your own bare.i
    including reiserfs and since this is obviously the longest way to
    go, we're surprised that you didn't offer this solution.

    In any case, we just did a string search for "reiser" on bare.i from
    slackware 10.2 and it reports CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y. Not "m." "m"
    would mean module. "y" means that the reiserfs is compiled right into
    bare.i.

    So it would appear after all your bravado that you are wrong. And
    you just created a lot of exta work for the person you were
    advising, if in fact, he was foolish enough to take your advice.

    Again.

    In any case, there is no need to be snooty. We're just trying to
    help. And given your record, it's ok for us to be wrong, too, once
    in awhile. Of course when we're wrong it's because we don't read
    carefully enough. And when you're wrong? What's your excuse?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350y

    Sylvain Robitaille trolled:
    > jjg wrote:


    >> BTW, I used defaults in all cases, so I am pretty sure that I am
    >> using ext2 (i would certainly check if I had the box around right
    >> now).


    > You definitely want to check this: there are some recent versions
    > of Slackware (of which I believe 10.2 is one) where the first
    > (already selected) option when you're prompted to make the
    > filesystem(s) is "reiserfs" (thus some people interpret that as
    > being the "default" supported option; while it may be "default"
    > in that it's the option that is selected with the least possible
    > interaction from you, it is not necessarily supported by the
    > "default" kernel, at least without modules.)


    See our other post for the correct information.

    If you want to see what options are set in bare.i all you have to do
    is look at it with, preferably, a binary editor, in ascii mode. The
    one we use is midnight commander. Do a search for the option you
    are interested in and it will take you to the bottom of the kernel
    and show you which options are included and which are available as
    modules.

    It's best to check these things out for yourself rather than simply
    asking questions to the newsgroup because a lot of the information
    dispensed here is from people who don't know nearly as much as they
    like to think they do.

    Where's Hicks and Macon? Or even the Polar Bear Hunter? They're a
    lot more fun. Unlike many, Sylvain is sincerely trying to help
    people. Unfortunately, he often does more harm than good.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  14. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    jjg wrote:
    > hello, *
    >
    > I am installing Slackware on a proliant ml 350, and during installation
    > everything seems to work fine. I am using /dev/hdb with hdb1 as
    > root. /dev/hda is the CD-ROM, so I cannot install the boot record on it.
    > Should not be a problem, I guess, I made a boot floppy.
    >
    > However, when I boot from floppy, I get the message "cannot find /dev/hdb1"
    > (or something similar, I am at home right now), and a kernel panic. Same
    > happens when I enter root=/dev/hdb1.
    > When I start a Knoppix live CD, I can find and read all /dev/hdbx devices.
    >
    > Anybody a suggestion?


    Is that one that's built like a tank and has about half a dozen hot swap
    scsi drives stuck in the front of it ?

    Are you absolutely sure that the boot device is hdb and not something
    daft like /dev/cciss/c0d0 because the discs ar on a smart array raid
    controller ?

    --
    Billy

  15. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    jjg wrote:

    > It happens to be slack 10.2 (I have Slack 11 on DVD, but this machine had
    > only a CD-ROM). I configured the bare.i kernel
    >
    >> i'm curious also about your hardware - why is your cdrom at hda?
    >> that is an unusual configuration, though it should be okay to do
    >> it that way ...

    >
    > Well, it simply was there after I started it up. I haven't yet tried the
    > strappings, because I thought it would be OK for the time being.
    >

    I'm wondering if the BIOS is doing strange things like remapping the
    disk order during boot time, in such a way that the booted drive
    always will be the first drive (/dev/hda) when you boot from an IDE device.

    As a quick test just try to boot with root=/dev/hda1 as a parameter.
    If that makes any difference you probably need to adjust /etc/fstab too.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  16. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Kees Theunissen wrote:
    [...]
    > I'm wondering if the BIOS is doing strange things like remapping the
    > disk order during boot time, in such a way that the booted drive
    > always will be the first drive (/dev/hda) when you boot from an IDE
    > device.


    Could be... indeed I suspect that Compaq is trying to be "clever"...

    > As a quick test just try to boot with root=/dev/hda1 as a parameter.


    Thanks. I'll try that next time I am working on it (which will be next week)

  17. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Billy Watt wrote:

    > jjg wrote:
    >> hello, *
    >>
    >> I am installing Slackware on a proliant ml 350, and during installation
    >> everything seems to work fine. I am using /dev/hdb with hdb1 as
    >> root. /dev/hda is the CD-ROM, so I cannot install the boot record on it.
    >> Should not be a problem, I guess, I made a boot floppy.
    >>
    >> However, when I boot from floppy, I get the message "cannot find
    >> /dev/hdb1" (or something similar, I am at home right now), and a kernel
    >> panic. Same happens when I enter root=/dev/hdb1.
    >> When I start a Knoppix live CD, I can find and read all /dev/hdbx
    >> devices.
    >>
    >> Anybody a suggestion?

    >
    > Is that one that's built like a tank and has about half a dozen hot swap
    > scsi drives stuck in the front of it ?


    yes, that must be the same. I can hardly carry it :-)

    And, yes, there are a lot of swap scsi drives in front of it, but I have not
    yet tried to use them. I just plugged in a new IDE drive (from an abandoned
    system, so it had already all partitions) for a try.

    > Are you absolutely sure that the boot device is hdb and not something
    > daft like /dev/cciss/c0d0 because the discs ar on a smart array raid
    > controller ?


    Yes. Because if I boot a Knoppix live CD, its shows all partitions
    as /dev/hdb1..7

    BTW: if you have any information on using this battery of SCSI disks, you
    are welcome. Once I get the system running, this is likely to be my next
    question.


  18. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    jjg wrote:
    [...]
    > And, yes, there are a lot of swap scsi drives in front of it, but I have
    > not yet tried to use them. I just plugged in a new IDE drive (from an
    > abandoned system, so it had already all partitions) for a try.


    But, wait a minute... I just realize that the drive comes from an abandoned
    system that was set up with Ubuntu... could it be that Ubuntu uses Reiser
    by default? I just don't remember right now... it might use ext3; will
    check next week :-)

    Anyway, I did the setup from Slackware, all defaults, but I did NOT reformat
    any partitions. However, if I use bare.i and the root partition happens to
    be Reiser, I (or rather you) may have found the cause.

  19. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:09:15 +0200, jjg wrote:

    > jjg wrote:
    > [...]
    >> And, yes, there are a lot of swap scsi drives in front of it, but I have
    >> not yet tried to use them. I just plugged in a new IDE drive (from an
    >> abandoned system, so it had already all partitions) for a try.

    >
    > But, wait a minute... I just realize that the drive comes from an abandoned
    > system that was set up with Ubuntu... could it be that Ubuntu uses Reiser
    > by default? I just don't remember right now... it might use ext3; will
    > check next week :-)


    Ubuntu uses ext3 by default.

    > Anyway, I did the setup from Slackware, all defaults, but I did NOT reformat
    > any partitions. However, if I use bare.i and the root partition happens to
    > be Reiser, I (or rather you) may have found the cause.


    The bare.i kernel has reiserfs built in.

    It would be interesting for you to boot the machine with a SCSI-enabled
    kernel and see what all those SCSI drives show up as.

    "SCSIs. Why'd it have to be SCSIs?" - Puffiana Jones in Hackers of the
    Lost Raid

  20. Re: Slackware on a Compaq Proliaant ML350

    Roger Maynard continues to impersonate Mike McClain:

    > ... we just did a string search for "reiser" on bare.i from slackware
    > 10.2 and it reports CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y. ...


    Hrmmm... Then I stand corrected.

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast