Improving TTF's with Slack 11 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Improving TTF's with Slack 11 - Slackware ; If you want to use M$ TTF's with Slack 11 a few things have changed. First thing I did was recompile libfreetype and enable the Bytecode Interpretor. Then I added the truetype fonts through KDE control panel font installer. I ...

  1. Improving TTF's with Slack 11

    If you want to use M$ TTF's with Slack 11 a few things have changed.

    First thing I did was recompile libfreetype and enable the Bytecode
    Interpretor.

    Then I added the truetype fonts through KDE control panel font
    installer.

    I checked the paths in /etc/X11/xorg.conf moving the TTF directory to
    the beginning.

    I adjusted /etc/X11/fs/config likewise.

    I went to and got this needed package...

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttmkfdir/

    As Slack didn't have ttmkfdir. Don't bother to compile the package - Just
    use the file ttmkfdir.linuxbin.glibc2, rename it

    ttmkfdir

    And move to /usr/local/bin

    Then I cd'd to that TT font directory and issued...

    cd /usr/local/fonts/ttf # For example

    ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
    mkfontdir

    Then in X issue...

    xset fp rehash

    Now reboot (or exit X and restart xfs). This is necessary for xfs to
    rebuild the file...

    /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/TTF/fonts.cache-1

    Start X and in a terminal see if the fonts you added are available to X.
    For example if you added Verdana issue...

    xlsfonts |grep -i verdana ... or
    xlsfonts |grep -i ttf

    Now you should be good to go. For an overview see...

    http://www.linux.org.mt/node/51#N10057

    And go to Section 2.2

    Try enabling antialiasing in

    kcontrol > Appearance and Themes > Fonts > Use Anti-aliasing for fonts

    I also configured it to ignore small fonts 1-10 pt's

    My TT fonts look so much better now. They were skinny and a bit grainy.
    Now they are very crisp and clear.

    There are a number of ways to do this but this one works for me. I
    noticed that the new freetype package to out the Bytecode option. I have
    the version saved (freetype-2.1.9.tar.bz2) and can make it available via
    FTP. I've been battling the TT issues for years and have a section on my
    web site (yes I know it needs updating and is ugly) for older X
    versions. I plan to add this updated approach in the next few days for
    reference.

    This applies to enhancing M$ TTF support. if you don't have any issues
    with that then simply ignore what I put forth.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Improving TTF's with Slack 11

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    >http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttmkfdir/
    >
    >As Slack didn't have ttmkfdir.

    But there is mkfontscale.

  3. Re: Improving TTF's with Slack 11

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > If you want to use M$ TTF's with Slack 11 a few things have changed.

    I have also installed M$ TTF's with Slacware a little differently to
    you. I also have recompiled freetype to enable the bytecode interpreter.

    I prefer non antialiased font. I is sharper and in my opinion more
    pleasant to read (although I know many people will disagree to me). This
    is the default setting for Microsoft up to XP (but not for Vista). With
    the bytecode interpreter M$ TTF can be nicely rendered non antialised. I
    have thus configured my ~/.fonts.conf to disable antialiasing for M$
    fonts. I attach my .font.conf for anyone interested (I have also made it
    immutable: chattr +i .font.conf to prevent KDE from modifying it).

    To configure the paths Slackware has mkfontdir and mkfontscale instead
    of ttmkfontdir. I have have added the path to the M$ fonts in
    /etc/fonts/fonts.conf but I have *not* put the path in
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In this way the fonts can be seen to applications
    using the freetype library but not to applications using the legacy
    corefonts. The reason is that in the latter case the X server render
    these fonts very badly (in a very bad non antialiased way). I thing it
    is better for these apps to simply find some pixels fonts that will be
    render much better.

    Olive

  4. Re: Improving TTF's with Slack 11

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:34:24 +0000, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

    >>http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttmkfdir/

    >>As Slack didn't have ttmkfdir.

    > But there is mkfontscale.

    Ack - Missed that one. Thanx. I have a page devoted to this topic. I'll
    add this note when I update the page.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: Improving TTF's with Slack 11

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:49:36 +0200, Olive wrote:

    >> If you want to use M$ TTF's with Slack 11 a few things have changed.

    > I have also installed M$ TTF's with Slackware a little differently to

    you.
    > I also have recompiled freetype to enable the bytecode interpreter.

    > I prefer non antialiased font. I is sharper and in my opinion more
    > pleasant to read (although I know many people will disagree to me).

    I've found that those decisions vary a little bit with every distro or
    version of X. So far a recompile of libfreetype always helps and adding
    the fonts properly must be done of course. Making sure that X sees the
    fonts is also fundamental. After the results of tweaking anti-aliasing
    and other minor items have varied for me. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I
    don't.

    > To configure the paths Slackware has mkfontdir and mkfontscale instead
    > of ttmkfontdir. I have have added the path to the M$ fonts in
    > /etc/fonts/fonts.conf but I have *not* put the path in
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    > In this way the fonts can be seen to applications using the freetype
    > library but not to applications using the legacy corefonts. The reason is
    > that in the latter case the X server render these fonts very badly (in a
    > very bad non antialiased way). I thing it is better for these apps to
    > simply find some pixels fonts that will be render much better.

    Yep another area that trial and error matter. Sometimes I use another
    font server, xfstt, to serve just the true type fonts. Sometimes I use
    both xfs and xfstt. Sometines the TT FontPath in xorg.conf is added
    and sometimes not. Like I said I found the results vary as to which final
    tweaks should be done, I've found.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread