Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How? - Slackware ; I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work on KDE Any addition Kernel compile or need more packages for o enable the buttons Thanks...

  1. Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work
    on KDE
    Any addition Kernel compile or need more packages for o enable the
    buttons

    Thanks

  2. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, yanyong.kunok@gmail.com wrote:

    > I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work
    > on KDE
    > Any addition Kernel compile or need more packages for o enable the
    > buttons

    Hello Yanyong,

    What model is your laptop? I believe the R series ThinkPads require a
    software mixer to get those buttons to work.

    Tom

  3. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    On Jun 19, 9:36 pm, Tom Canich wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, yanyong.ku...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work
    > > on KDE
    > > Any addition Kernel compile or need more packages for o enable the
    > > buttons

    > Hello Yanyong,
    >
    > What model is your laptop? I believe the R series ThinkPads require a
    > software mixer to get those buttons to work.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks,
    I using COMPAQ Pentium M 1.6
    I had using Ubuntu 7.04 with perfect volume button on the panel+have
    show me on screen while push it
    Of cause I back to slackware again (I have never happy with other
    distro but Slackware)
    so I try to make my Slackware work like other can

    Yanyong Kunok

  4. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    yanyong.kunok@gmail.com wrote:
    > I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work
    > on KDE
    > Any addition Kernel compile or need more packages for o enable the
    > buttons

    I'm confused whether this is a KDE question or whether it is a device
    driver question. Are these buttons in KDE or on the notebook? If they
    are on the notebook, do they control the volume in Slackware even though
    there is no display on the screen?

    - Daniel

    P.S. If this is a device driver problem (i.e. the notebook keys don't
    do anything) then people would need a model number in order to help.

  5. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    >> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, yanyong.ku...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work
    >>> on KDE

    > I had using Ubuntu 7.04 with perfect volume button on the panel+have
    > show me on screen while push it

    I think I may have misunderstood your question. As Daniel asked -- are these
    physical buttons on your computer or software buttons on the KDE panel?

    Tom

  6. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    yanyong.kunok@gmail.com wrote:
    > I using Current version and found no button Volumn Up/Down/Mute Work
    > on KDE
    > Any addition Kernel compile or need more packages for o enable the
    > buttons
    >
    > Thanks

    I had the case where the mixer in KDE was not configured for the correct
    item. Try to change the volume with alsamixer and if it works change the
    option of the KDE mixer talk to the correct item (as you can see in
    alsamixer).

    Olive

  7. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    yanyong wrote :

    > so I try to make my Slackware work like other can

    Open the KMixer window and see if theres a "Configure Global shortcuts"
    option. You can try setting up custom keys for Increase/Decrease volume
    using the volume up/down keys as they are but this will probably fail.

    If it fails then start a Konsole and use this command 'xev' (don't touch
    the mouse right now) and press the keys to find their "keycode" number.
    When you have found that the keycode for volume up is XXX and volume
    down is YYY, then use your mouse to close that little "Event Tester"
    window.

    Now you can run these two commands in the konsole:
    xmodmap -e "keycode XXX = F13"
    xmodmap -e "keycode YYY = F14"

    Then back to the KMixer window and setup "Configure Global shortcuts"
    and now your volume keys should show up as F13/F14.

    If successful add those two commands to your ~/.bash_profile (and if you
    don't have this file create it.)
    --
    Thomas O.

  8. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    On Jun 20, 4:26 am, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > yanyong wrote :
    >
    > > so I try to make my Slackware work like other can

    > Open the KMixer window and see if theres a "Configure Global shortcuts"
    > option. You can try setting up custom keys for Increase/Decrease volume
    > using the volume up/down keys as they are but this will probably fail.
    >
    > If it fails then start a Konsole and use this command 'xev' (don't touch
    > the mouse right now) and press the keys to find their "keycode" number.
    > When you have found that the keycode for volume up is XXX and volume
    > down is YYY, then use your mouse to close that little "Event Tester"
    > window.
    >
    > Now you can run these two commands in the konsole:
    > xmodmap -e "keycode XXX = F13"
    > xmodmap -e "keycode YYY = F14"
    >
    > Then back to the KMixer window and setup "Configure Global shortcuts"
    > and now your volume keys should show up as F13/F14.
    >
    > If successful add those two commands to your ~/.bash_profile (and if you
    > don't have this file create it.)
    > --
    > Thomas O.
    >
    > This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

    Thanks Thomas O.
    I got xev and my button Vol Up is 176 and down is 174
    I not got about F13 and F14
    That are Functions key right? My Notebook got F1-F12

    Do you have any more advise to use 176 for Vol Up and 174 Vol DOwn
    Thanks again

  9. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    yanyong wrote :

    > I got xev and my button Vol Up is 176 and down is 174
    > I not got about F13 and F14

    When you use these two commands:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 176 = F13"
    xmodmap -e "keycode 174 = F14"

    Then you create two new function-keys F13 and F14 out of your volume
    keys. These two new function-keys can then be used in KMixer's global
    shortcut setup. You'll still have to press the volume-keys, but KDE will
    now see them as function-keys.

    > That are Functions key right? My Notebook got F1-F12

    Those xmodmap commands I show you will give you two more; F13 and F14.
    --
    Thomas O.

  10. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    On Jun 21, 2:02 am, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > yanyong wrote :
    >
    > > I got xev and my button Vol Up is 176 and down is 174
    > > I not got about F13 and F14

    > When you use these two commands:
    > xmodmap -e "keycode 176 = F13"
    > xmodmap -e "keycode 174 = F14"
    >
    > Then you create two new function-keys F13 and F14 out of your volume
    > keys. These two new function-keys can then be used in KMixer's global
    > shortcut setup. You'll still have to press the volume-keys, but KDE will
    > now see them as function-keys.
    >
    > > That are Functions key right? My Notebook got F1-F12

    > Those xmodmap commands I show you will give you two more; F13 and F14.
    > --
    > Thomas O.
    >
    > This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

    Thanks All,
    Here I got solutions but not 100% perfect

    I make a file call xmodmap.conf
    keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
    keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
    keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume

    then to execute it I use
    xmodmap xmodmap.conf

    Now my KDE have status On screen while press Vol/up/down/mute
    I dont have to config on Kmix

    But the problem is I can't run automatic even try to make .Xmodmap
    (.xinitrc run it everytime start)
    I make a script file and put in .kde/Autostart/ to run xmodmap
    xmodmap.conf

    I don't know Can we get more easier to active it every time by less
    modified?

  11. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    yanyong wrote :

    > I don't know Can we get more easier to active it every time by less
    > modified?

    Create a file named /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap and put those tree commands
    in here then it will be activated when you start X.
    --
    Thomas O.

  12. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    On Jun 21, 10:15 pm, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > yanyong wrote :
    >
    > > I don't know Can we get more easier to active it every time by less
    > > modified?

    > Create a file named /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap and put those tree commands
    > in here then it will be activated when you start X.
    > --
    > Thomas O.
    >
    > This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

    Thanks Thomas O.
    For me seem to be it not work
    seem to be .xinitrc not work so the xmodmap not activate your .Xmodmap

    Do you think xmodmap can start before startkde?
    cause I can't use xmodmap before start X then in xinitrc they all
    before startkde
    which I don't know this is the reason for not work?

    xmodmap $usermodmap
    fi

    # Start the window manager:
    xmodmap $usermodmap
    startkde
    ~

  13. Re: Notebook and Volumn Up Down Mute How?

    yanyong wrote :

    > For me seem to be it not work

    Are you sure you got the filename right? If you take a look at
    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde then you'll see witch files is read when KDE
    starts.
    --
    Thomas O.