How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux? - Slackware ; Hi everyone, At the moment I am running some tests on a MySQL database. The database resides on a box running on Slackware Linux, which in turn runs in a VMWare session on Windows XP. I can connect to the ...

  1. How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    Hi everyone,

    At the moment I am running some tests on a MySQL database. The
    database resides on a box running on Slackware Linux, which in turn
    runs in a VMWare session on Windows XP.

    I can connect to the database just fine, and I have SSH access to the
    Linux VM.

    In order to do a few imports on the database, I need to get some files
    over there. The easiest way would be using FTP (since that is the
    default way of transfering files in the software I'm currently working
    with).

    After several hours of Googling, I'm still unable to find anything
    that could help me to setup an FTP server on the aforementioned box.

    My question now is the following: how can I setup an FTP server on
    Linux Slackware? What do I need to do? Is there one installed by
    default in the Slackware distribution, or do I need to download
    something?

    Please take into consideration that, while I am a bit familiar with
    Linux, I am nowhere near an admin, so I'd like a fairly elaborate
    guide if possible. Also, as far as I know there is no GUI on the
    machine - only CLI.

    Thanks in advance,

    Yucan

  2. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    In alt.os.linux.slackware joeym@gencom.be wrote:
    > I can connect to the database just fine, and I have SSH access to the
    > Linux VM.

    Then sftp (safe-FTP) is easiest, as for that you only have to change
    ONE line in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config (on the machine the ssh daemon
    is running:
    # override default of no subsystems
    Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server
    (the line should already be there, but may be commented out).

    > In order to do a few imports on the database, I need to get some files
    > over there. The easiest way would be using FTP (since that is the
    > default way of transfering files in the software I'm currently working
    > with).

    For "real FTP" you will have to install the proftpd package, enable the
    "ftp" line in the /etc/inetd.conf file, restart the Internet Daemon
    to SEE that change and have a login with a valid shell ON that machine
    (for anonymous FTP you need much more work).
    Oh, and when you use a firewall you will have to open the ftp ports
    (normally 20 and 21).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  3. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    Hi,

    > Then sftp (safe-FTP) is easiest, as for that you only have to change
    > ONE line in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config (on the machine the ssh daemon
    > is running:
    > # override default of no subsystems
    > Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server
    > (the line should already be there, but may be commented out).

    Thanks for the information! The above line was already uncommented,
    and I've also uncommented another line in inetd.conf (ftp stream tcp
    nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd proftpd).

    By now, I'm able to ftp to the localhost, but after getting the
    "connected" message, I immediately get a 421 error - 421 service not
    available.

    It seems I'm on the right track, but not quite there yet...

    I've had a look at hosts.allow, and added my IP address, but I don't
    know whether or not that is the correct way to do things.

    Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks!

    There is no firewall between me and the other box.

    Thanks again,

    Yucan

  4. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    > > Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks!
    >
    > http://www.proftpd.org/docs/example-conf.html

    A bit more information would be welcome - where do I need to put this
    configuration file? I've made a guess and put it in /etc , but after
    restarting inetd there was no change...

    I still get the same error - 421 service not available.

    Thanks!

    Yucan

  5. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:30:25 -0700, joeym wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > At the moment I am running some tests on a MySQL database. The
    > database resides on a box running on Slackware Linux, which in turn
    > runs in a VMWare session on Windows XP.
    >
    > I can connect to the database just fine, and I have SSH access to the
    > Linux VM.

    You can setup proftp and configure it (/etc/proftpd.conf) according to
    your needs. You'll probably need to read some of proftpd's documentation
    to configure it.

    In lieu of that, there are some easier solutions:

    1. Use ftp-over-ssh running on Windows VM. The putty set of applications
    include this ftp-like program.

    2. Use samba. Enabling samba on the Slackware server is pretty
    straight-forward. You'll probably have to read a small amount of
    documentation and setup the configuration file (/etc/samba/smb.conf).

    Of the two choices, using ssh may be attractive because it is working
    already.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  6. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    yucan.etomer@gmail.com wrote:

    > I still get the same error - 421 service not available.

    What do your system logs say? (look in the files in /var/log for things
    relevant to ftp)

  7. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On 18 jun, 16:15, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > yucan.eto...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I still get the same error - 421 service not available.

    > What do your system logs say? (look in the files in /var/log for things
    > relevant to ftp)

    I've had a look for log files relevant to ftp, but I can't seem to
    find any. Nothing even remotely looks like that - no log for "ftp",
    "inetd", "tcp", "httpd", etc...

    The syslog however, had some lines complaining about the following
    topics:
    - an error in hosts.allow, which I fixed
    - restart: no such file or directory (which is probably related to my
    attempts to do an inetd restart)
    - bind: address already in use

    That last one doesn't make sense - there is nothing running on port
    21!

    Thanks,

    Yucan

  8. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    > You can setup proftp and configure it (/etc/proftpd.conf) according to
    > your needs. You'll probably need to read some of proftpd's documentation
    > to configure it.

    Which is what I'm trying to do at the moment

    > In lieu of that, there are some easier solutions:
    >
    > 1. Use ftp-over-ssh running on Windows VM. The putty set of applications
    > include this ftp-like program.

    I'll have to look into this...

    > 2. Use samba. Enabling samba on the Slackware server is pretty
    > straight-forward. You'll probably have to read a small amount of
    > documentation and setup the configuration file (/etc/samba/smb.conf).

    Samba? Wouldn't that be a direct connection, instead of FTP? The
    connection needs to be made via FTP, so Samba would not be an option
    I'm afraid.

    Thanks,

    Yucan

  9. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    yucan.etomer@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've had a look for log files relevant to ftp, but I can't seem to
    > find any. Nothing even remotely looks like that - no log for "ftp",
    > "inetd", "tcp", "httpd", etc...

    Look in your current logs for ftp-related entries.
    "grep -rl ftpd /var/log" will probably help you find which logs to look
    into.

    > The syslog however, had some lines complaining about the following
    > topics:
    > - an error in hosts.allow, which I fixed
    > - restart: no such file or directory (which is probably related to my
    > attempts to do an inetd restart)

    I would make sure of that, as there's some chance it's referring to
    something else that's relevant to your problem. See if you can
    duplicate it. If so, see if you can figure out what it's looking for
    but can't find. Does the log entry say which file isn't being found?

    > - bind: address already in use
    >
    > That last one doesn't make sense - there is nothing running on port
    > 21!

    "netstat -t -l" will help confirm that. That error message indicates
    that something *is* listening on the port it (likely inetd in this case)
    is trying to open. You need to figure out why the system believes
    differently than you do.

  10. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, yucan.etomer@gmail.com wrote:

    >> You can setup proftp and configure it (/etc/proftpd.conf) according to
    >> your needs. You'll probably need to read some of proftpd's documentation
    >> to configure it.

    > Which is what I'm trying to do at the moment

    myself, i would disuade the use of ftp, unless there is need for
    anonymous access, and more so if the machine might be subject to
    remote atccks. i run sftp, part of the slackware ssh package. i
    recommend my windows users download "WinSCP" (http://winscp.net)
    which provides them a simple and secure file tranfer method with
    a fairly clean drag+drop gui. idunno about vista, but it's good
    with w98, w2k, and XP.

    IIRC, sftp comes enabled by default in sshd... do something like
    "grep sftp /etc/ssh/sshd_config", looking to see something like:

    Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server

    >> In lieu of that, there are some easier solutions:
    >> 1. Use ftp-over-ssh running on Windows VM. The putty set of applications
    >> include this ftp-like program.

    > I'll have to look into this...

    i like putty, too, for accessing a shell on the server, but have
    not tried its file transfer options, since WinSCP works so well.

    --
    score +1 for blocktext :*)
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  11. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:39:53 -0700, William Hunt wrote:

    >i like putty, too, for accessing a shell on the server, but have
    >not tried its file transfer options, since WinSCP works so well.

    WinSCP is like a GUI wrapper for PuTTY

    I found setting up vsftpd on slackware for anon access much easier
    than proftpd. Wonder if OP had inetd + proftpd standalone mode?

    For the OP's environment I'd use samba (cifs) for localnet file
    transfer. Running VMs hosted on WinXP and slackware here, haven't
    seen the need for FTP access.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  12. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, joeym@gencom.be wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > At the moment I am running some tests on a MySQL database. The
    > database resides on a box running on Slackware Linux, which in turn
    > runs in a VMWare session on Windows XP.
    >
    > I can connect to the database just fine, and I have SSH access to the
    > Linux VM.
    >
    > In order to do a few imports on the database, I need to get some files
    > over there. The easiest way would be using FTP (since that is the
    > default way of transfering files in the software I'm currently working
    > with).

    As you are having problems with various flavours of ftp, just use a command line
    scp:

    scp thatcomputer:~/IWantThisFile .

    --
    Alan

  13. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

  14. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    joeym@gencom.be wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > At the moment I am running some tests on a MySQL database. The
    > database resides on a box running on Slackware Linux, which in turn
    > runs in a VMWare session on Windows XP.
    >
    > I can connect to the database just fine, and I have SSH access to the
    > Linux VM.
    >
    > In order to do a few imports on the database, I need to get some files
    > over there. The easiest way would be using FTP (since that is the
    > default way of transfering files in the software I'm currently working
    > with).
    >
    > After several hours of Googling, I'm still unable to find anything
    > that could help me to setup an FTP server on the aforementioned box.
    >
    > My question now is the following: how can I setup an FTP server on
    > Linux Slackware? What do I need to do? Is there one installed by
    > default in the Slackware distribution, or do I need to download
    > something?
    >
    > Please take into consideration that, while I am a bit familiar with
    > Linux, I am nowhere near an admin, so I'd like a fairly elaborate
    > guide if possible. Also, as far as I know there is no GUI on the
    > machine - only CLI.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Yucan

    i once it was a few months ago proposed my father to a solution for his
    crappy rapidshare alike service he used for getting big files to hist
    clients and/or employers so i proposed i would set up an ftp server, set
    up the router so ftp (active and passive) were only allowed to me (port
    forwarding, ...) eventually yes i had never done this before
    but i ended up getting it configured quite secure in -30 mins with
    vsftpd, it's also included in slackware and a lot of people in
    ##slackware on freenode recommend it

  15. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On Jun 19, 7:24 pm, goarilla wrote:
    > j...@gencom.be wrote:
    > > Hi everyone,

    > > At the moment I am running some tests on a MySQL database. The
    > > database resides on a box running on Slackware Linux, which in turn
    > > runs in a VMWare session on Windows XP.

    > > I can connect to the database just fine, and I have SSH access to the
    > > Linux VM.

    > > In order to do a few imports on the database, I need to get some files
    > > over there. The easiest way would be using FTP (since that is the
    > > default way of transfering files in the software I'm currently working
    > > with).

    > > After several hours of Googling, I'm still unable to find anything
    > > that could help me to setup an FTP server on the aforementioned box.

    > > My question now is the following: how can I setup an FTP server on
    > > Linux Slackware? What do I need to do? Is there one installed by
    > > default in the Slackware distribution, or do I need to download
    > > something?

    > > Please take into consideration that, while I am a bit familiar with
    > > Linux, I am nowhere near an admin, so I'd like a fairly elaborate
    > > guide if possible. Also, as far as I know there is no GUI on the
    > > machine - only CLI.

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Yucan

    > i once it was a few months ago proposed my father to a solution for his
    > crappy rapidshare alike service he used for getting big files to hist
    > clients and/or employers so i proposed i would set up an ftp server, set
    > up the router so ftp (active and passive) were only allowed to me (port
    > forwarding, ...) eventually yes i had never done this before
    > but i ended up getting it configured quite secure in -30 mins with
    > vsftpd, it's also included in slackware and a lot of people in
    > ##slackware on freenode recommend it

    However some cable ISPs block the necessary ports for html and ftp
    servers etc. With html you can game this by using e.g., port 8080
    instead of 80. Have never tested a similar port change with ftp
    however.

  16. Re: How to setup an FTP server on Slackware Linux?

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Blumf wrote:

    B> Alan Clifford wrote:
    B> > As you are having problems with various flavours of ftp, just use a command line
    B> > scp:
    B> >
    B> > scp thatcomputer:~/IWantThisFile .
    B>
    B> There's an app called WinSCP that might make things easier from the
    B> Window's side.

    And PuTTY can do scp.

    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )

+ Reply to Thread