reinstalling - Slackware

This is a discussion on reinstalling - Slackware ; Just to tell of my experiences.. I got a new PC, the keys were going on the laptop, so I got a desktop. Now to install Slackware.. wouldn't recognize the CD drive, even after booting from it. Yes, tried /dev/sr0, ...

  1. reinstalling

    Just to tell of my experiences..
    I got a new PC, the keys were going on the laptop, so I got a
    desktop. Now to install Slackware.. wouldn't recognize the CD drive,
    even after booting from it. Yes, tried /dev/sr0, nothing. 11.0 disks.
    A dvd of Knoppix identified everything, so I installed it to HD..
    Then downloaded Debian, and installed it from the net-dist CD. Debian
    is like pulling a weight along as you walk after using Slack.. So how
    to get Slack on the HD?.. I used a new partition on the HD, mounted
    it, downloaded slackware-current onto it, then installed the first CD
    onto a USB key, whole system installed within a hour. really looking
    forward to the next version.

    Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

  2. Re: reinstalling

    greymaus@spurious.name wrote:
    > Just to tell of my experiences..
    > I got a new PC, the keys were going on the laptop, so I got a
    > desktop. Now to install Slackware.. wouldn't recognize the CD drive,
    > even after booting from it. Yes, tried /dev/sr0, nothing. 11.0 disks.
    > A dvd of Knoppix identified everything, so I installed it to HD..
    > Then downloaded Debian, and installed it from the net-dist CD. Debian
    > is like pulling a weight along as you walk after using Slack.. So how
    > to get Slack on the HD?.. I used a new partition on the HD, mounted
    > it, downloaded slackware-current onto it, then installed the first CD
    > onto a USB key, whole system installed within a hour. really looking
    > forward to the next version.
    >
    > Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

    Hi Old one!!!
    History, In my early meeting with Slackware mine hardware included a
    Sony CD reader which needed proper invocation to be recognised. Since
    the stock CD's today are ATAPI this problem went down the drain.
    For some strange reason Slackware finds its sources on _ANY_ reader.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from 'freezing' Ulladulla.

  3. Re: reinstalling

    greymaus@spurious.name wrote:
    > Just to tell of my experiences..
    > I got a new PC, the keys were going on the laptop, so I got a
    > desktop. Now to install Slackware.. wouldn't recognize the CD drive,
    > even after booting from it. Yes, tried /dev/sr0, nothing. 11.0 disks.
    > A dvd of Knoppix identified everything, so I installed it to HD..
    > Then downloaded Debian, and installed it from the net-dist CD. Debian
    > is like pulling a weight along as you walk after using Slack.. So how
    > to get Slack on the HD?.. I used a new partition on the HD, mounted
    > it, downloaded slackware-current onto it, then installed the first CD
    > onto a USB key, whole system installed within a hour. really looking
    > forward to the next version.
    >
    > Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

    What kind of CD drive it is? (you can probably find this info by typing
    dmesg); including the device on where it is. My relevant portion of dmesg.

    hda: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

    If you can mount the CD; mount it by hand and install from a premounted
    directory. If all else fails you can still install Slackware without CD:
    download the CD image or the Slackware tree somewhare in your computer.
    Then boot the installer. For Slackware current you can use a USB stick
    (if your computer support booting from it); as a last resort this can be
    done from lilo (or grub) installed from another distribution. You
    configure lilo the same way isolinux is configured to boot the system
    (look at isolinux/isolinux.cfg). For example to install slack 11.0 with
    the huge2.6 kernel; create a directory /slacki sowewhere on your disk
    drive. Put isolinux/initrd.img into slacki as well as
    kernels/huge26.s/bzImage and configure lilo as follow;

    boot = /dev/hda #(or whatever is your primary hard disk)
    prompt

    label="Slack_inst"
    image = /slacki/bzimage
    initrd = /slacki/initrd.img
    append = "append initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0
    ramdisk_size=6464 rw root=/dev/ram SLACK_KERNEL=huge26.s"

  4. Re: reinstalling

    On 2007-06-15, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:
    > greymaus@spurious.name wrote:
    >> Just to tell of my experiences..
    >> I got a new PC, the keys were going on the laptop, so I got a
    >> desktop. Now to install Slackware.. wouldn't recognize the CD drive,
    >> even after booting from it. Yes, tried /dev/sr0, nothing. 11.0 disks.
    >> A dvd of Knoppix identified everything, so I installed it to HD..
    >> Then downloaded Debian, and installed it from the net-dist CD. Debian
    >> is like pulling a weight along as you walk after using Slack.. So how
    >> to get Slack on the HD?.. I used a new partition on the HD, mounted
    >> it, downloaded slackware-current onto it, then installed the first CD
    >> onto a USB key, whole system installed within a hour. really looking
    >> forward to the next version.
    >>
    >> Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

    > Hi Old one!!!
    > History, In my early meeting with Slackware mine hardware included a
    > Sony CD reader which needed proper invocation to be recognised. Since
    > the stock CD's today are ATAPI this problem went down the drain.
    > For some strange reason Slackware finds its sources on _ANY_ reader.

    so what is a `sr0'?

    --
    Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

  5. Re: reinstalling

    On 16 Jun 2007 14:42:29 GMT, greymaus@spurious.name wrote:

    >so what is a `sr0'?

    from dmesg:
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    -- http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxe...-2.6.20.7sc.gz

    It's how the new libata drivers connect recent interface chips, in
    this example the pata_marvell driver for DP965LT mobo.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  6. Re: reinstalling

    On 2007-06-16, Olive wrote:

    > If you can mount the CD; mount it by hand and install from a premounted
    > directory. If all else fails you can still install Slackware without CD:
    > download the CD image or the Slackware tree somewhare in your computer.
    > Then boot the installer. For Slackware current you can use a USB stick
    > (if your computer support booting from it); as a last resort this can be
    > done from lilo (or grub) installed from another distribution. You
    > configure lilo the same way isolinux is configured to boot the system
    > (look at isolinux/isolinux.cfg). For example to install slack 11.0 with
    > the huge2.6 kernel; create a directory /slacki sowewhere on your disk
    > drive. Put isolinux/initrd.img into slacki as well as
    > kernels/huge26.s/bzImage and configure lilo as follow;
    >
    > boot = /dev/hda #(or whatever is your primary hard disk)
    > prompt
    >
    > label="Slack_inst"
    > image = /slacki/bzimage
    > initrd = /slacki/initrd.img
    > append = "append initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0
    > ramdisk_size=6464 rw root=/dev/ram SLACK_KERNEL=huge26.s"

    Couldn't mount the CD, had to use the (excellent) knoppix DVD..
    besides that, worked like you say.
    Current (12?) will be able to do all that.
    I posted to tell anyone who has that problem how to overcome it, which
    is almost anyone who has a new machine.
    Thanks for the answer, extends my knowledge!.

    --
    Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

  7. Re: reinstalling

    On 2007-06-16, Grant wrote:
    > On 16 Jun 2007 14:42:29 GMT, greymaus@spurious.name wrote:
    >
    >>so what is a `sr0'?

    > from dmesg:
    > sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    > Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    > sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    > -- http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxe...-2.6.20.7sc.gz
    >
    > It's how the new libata drivers connect recent interface chips, in
    > this example the pata_marvell driver for DP965LT mobo.
    >
    > Grant.

    Oh!.. never thought of (obvious) that!.. ta

    --
    Grumpy, Dozey, but still here

+ Reply to Thread