what processor choose in kernel compile - Slackware

This is a discussion on what processor choose in kernel compile - Slackware ; Hello, I want to compile a kernel for both a "Pentium 4M" and a "Celeron M 420" processor. I wonder what is the most recent processor I can choose that is compatible with the two processors. Moreover I do not ...

  1. what processor choose in kernel compile

    Hello,

    I want to compile a kernel for both a "Pentium 4M" and a "Celeron M 420"
    processor. I wonder what is the most recent processor I can choose
    that is compatible with the two processors. Moreover I do not see the
    "celeron M" as an option in the kernel configuration. Anybody can help?

    Olive

  2. Re: what processor choose in kernel compile

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:06:55 +0200, Olive wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I want to compile a kernel for both a "Pentium 4M" and a "Celeron M 420"
    > processor. I wonder what is the most recent processor I can choose
    >that is compatible with the two processors. Moreover I do not see the
    >"celeron M" as an option in the kernel configuration. Anybody can help?

    Probably P4, compare the /proc/cpuinfo for both CPUs

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: what processor choose in kernel compile

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:06:55 +0200, Olive wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to compile a kernel for both a "Pentium 4M" and a "Celeron M 420"
    > processor. I wonder what is the most recent processor I can choose
    > that is compatible with the two processors. Moreover I do not see the
    > "celeron M" as an option in the kernel configuration. Anybody can help?
    >
    > Olive

    Hello,
    my bible concerning compilation for specific CPU types is here:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
    Do a cat /proc/cpuinfo, look at the processor family number and model
    You will find with this page what are the corresponding compilation
    architecture.
    Furthermore and you can deduce the kernel compilation target.

    For celeron-m this seems to be a pentium-m target... to be confirmed
    with /proc/cpuinfo.

    Thierry

  4. Re: what processor choose in kernel compile

    Thierry MERLE wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:06:55 +0200, Olive wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I want to compile a kernel for both a "Pentium 4M" and a "Celeron M 420"
    >> processor. I wonder what is the most recent processor I can choose
    >> that is compatible with the two processors. Moreover I do not see the
    >> "celeron M" as an option in the kernel configuration. Anybody can help?
    >>
    >> Olive

    > Hello,
    > my bible concerning compilation for specific CPU types is here:
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
    > Do a cat /proc/cpuinfo, look at the processor family number and model
    > You will find with this page what are the corresponding compilation
    > architecture.
    > Furthermore and you can deduce the kernel compilation target.
    >
    > For celeron-m this seems to be a pentium-m target... to be confirmed
    > with /proc/cpuinfo.

    This page is interesting and indeed it seems that for Celeron M; I have
    to choose Pentium M (/proc/cpuinfo give Celeron M 420; which is exactly
    my processor).

    Part of my question is that I want to choose a processor that will be
    compatible with both Celeron M and Pentioum 4 M (I want to install
    Slackware on 2 computers: I install the normal way on one of them and I
    do a low-level copy of the partition on the other one).

    Olive

    > Thierry

  5. Re: what processor choose in kernel compile

    Olive wrote:

    > Part of my question is that I want to choose a processor that will be
    > compatible with both Celeron M and Pentioum 4 M (I want to install
    > Slackware on 2 computers: I install the normal way on one of them and I
    > do a low-level copy of the partition on the other one).

    The Celeron M and the Pentium 4 M share the Banias core. Pentium M is
    correct for both.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P4-M
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron_m#Banias-512

    --