Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys) - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys) - Slackware ; Dear All, I have upgraded Slackware 11.0 to -current and now have broken xterm functionality. I am running kernel-2.6.20 and using fvwm95 as a window manager. The two broken things are; (1) the delete & backspace keys do not work ...

  1. Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys)

    Dear All,
    I have upgraded Slackware 11.0 to -current and now have broken
    xterm functionality. I am running kernel-2.6.20 and using fvwm95 as a
    window manager. The two broken things are;

    (1) the delete & backspace keys do not work properly when the shell
    (bash) is not waiting for input. eg. type;

    sleep 10

    ^H is printed for each delete/backspace keypress and the characters
    are not deleted.

    (2) The meta key line-editing functions of the readline library
    (eg. m-f & m-b) do not work, instead printing top-bit-set characters
    when used.

    I do not believe this is a readline or bash problem because neither
    fault occurs on the Linux console, in rxvt or the KDE console
    terminal. I tried upgrading xterm-224 to xterm-225 (built it from
    source) but to no avail.

    One partial fix I found was to use the termcap file from Slackware-11.0;

    export TERMCAP=/usr/X11R6.bak/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap

    This clears (1) the delete/BS problem.

    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/025008.html
    reports similar sounding problems -- w/o a fix.

    Can anybody else running Slackware-current reproduce the above problems and or
    suggest a fix?

    Thanks
    Tom.

    --
    Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
    Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.

  2. Re: Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys)

    wrote:
    >(1) the delete & backspace keys do not work properly when the shell
    >(bash) is not waiting for input. eg. type;
    >
    >sleep 10
    >

    >^H is printed for each delete/backspace keypress and the characters
    >are not deleted.
    >
    >(2) The meta key line-editing functions of the readline library
    >(eg. m-f & m-b) do not work, instead printing top-bit-set characters
    >when used.

    Try adding these lines to ~/.Xdefaults

    XTerm*backarrowKeyIsErase: true
    XTerm*eightBitInput: false

  3. Re: Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys)

    UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I have upgraded Slackware 11.0 to -current and now have broken
    > xterm functionality. I am running kernel-2.6.20 and using fvwm95 as a
    > window manager. The two broken things are;
    >
    > (1) the delete & backspace keys do not work properly when the shell
    > (bash) is not waiting for input. eg. type;
    >
    > sleep 10
    >

    > ^H is printed for each delete/backspace keypress and the characters
    > are not deleted.
    >
    > (2) The meta key line-editing functions of the readline library
    > (eg. m-f & m-b) do not work, instead printing top-bit-set characters
    > when used.
    >
    > I do not believe this is a readline or bash problem because neither
    > fault occurs on the Linux console, in rxvt or the KDE console
    > terminal. I tried upgrading xterm-224 to xterm-225 (built it from
    > source) but to no avail.
    >
    > One partial fix I found was to use the termcap file from Slackware-11.0;
    >
    > export TERMCAP=/usr/X11R6.bak/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap
    >
    > This clears (1) the delete/BS problem.
    >
    > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/025008.html
    > reports similar sounding problems -- w/o a fix.
    >
    > Can anybody else running Slackware-current reproduce the above problems and or
    > suggest a fix?

    I have no fix but experimented the same problem with a (somewhat older
    version of current). It seems that the xterm termcap file is corrupted.

    By the way is there a place to bug report something to Slackware?

    Olive

  4. Re: Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys)

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:48:43 +0200, Olive wrote:

    >By the way is there a place to bug report something to Slackware?

    Send email to Patrick Volkerding (volkerdi@...)

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  5. Re: Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys)

    In alt.os.linux.slackware UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:
    > I have upgraded Slackware 11.0 to -current and now have broken
    > xterm functionality. I am running kernel-2.6.20 and using fvwm95 as a
    > window manager. The two broken things are;

    > (1) the delete & backspace keys do not work properly when the shell
    > (bash) is not waiting for input. eg. type;

    > sleep 10
    >

    > ^H is printed for each delete/backspace keypress and the characters
    > are not deleted.

    I don't see where this would change (xterm's terminfo/termcap files have
    "always" set kbs=^H, and Linux distributions for a long time have
    patched it to suit their preference for ^?). Most vendor-Unixes and
    most of the *BSD's use ^H, btw.

    Perhaps someone dropped the patch (or installed xterm w/o patching,
    unaware of this tweak).

    > (2) The meta key line-editing functions of the readline library
    > (eg. m-f & m-b) do not work, instead printing top-bit-set characters
    > when used.

    Technically that's readline trying to be helpful by turning on the
    meta mode when the terminal description says it supports it.
    I noticed that was missing from xterm's description in #216 (as
    part of noticing that several terminals which claimed to did not,
    since they used it to turn on/off ESC-prefixing of special keys ,
    and added it.

    fwiw, here's the description of the feature:

    If the terminal has a ``meta key'' which acts as a shift
    key, setting the 8th bit of any character transmitted, this
    fact can be indicated with km. Otherwise, software will
    assume that the 8th bit is parity and it will usually be
    cleared. If strings exist to turn this ``meta mode'' on and
    off, they can be given as smm and rmm.

    If smm/rmm aren't in the terminal description, the behavior due to
    eightBitInput, metaSendsEscape resources is unchanged. (bash's
    maintainer is unwilling to consider the possibility of making _its_
    behavior optional - odd since it has so many options).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  6. Re: Slackware current xterm problem (DEL/BS & meta keys)

    In alt.os.linux.slackware Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
    : wrote:
    : >(1) the delete & backspace keys do not work properly when the shell
    : >(bash) is not waiting for input. eg. type;
    : >
    : >sleep 10
    : >
    : >
    : >^H is printed for each delete/backspace keypress and the characters
    : >are not deleted.
    : >
    : >(2) The meta key line-editing functions of the readline library
    : >(eg. m-f & m-b) do not work, instead printing top-bit-set characters
    : >when used.

    : Try adding these lines to ~/.Xdefaults

    : XTerm*backarrowKeyIsErase: true
    : XTerm*eightBitInput: false

    Many thanks Petri, that fixed both problems.

    Cheers
    Tom.

    --
    Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
    Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794

+ Reply to Thread