How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package? - Slackware ; I have tried and liked the new Netscape Navigator 9. It seems slightly faster than my Firefox 1.5. So I have downloaded and unzipped the binary: http://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape...r-9.0b1.tar.gz This will run immediately without installation but I would like to have a ...

  1. How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    I have tried and liked the new Netscape Navigator 9. It seems slightly
    faster than my Firefox 1.5. So I have downloaded and unzipped the
    binary:
    http://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape...r-9.0b1.tar.gz

    This will run immediately without installation but I would like to
    have a system wide installation.

    I have never tried makepkg, so I have cd'ed to the navigator directory
    and, as root, typed:
    # makepkg -l y navigator.tgz

    Then, after creating the package:

    # installpkg navigator.tgz

    No apparent errors.

    But no trace of navigator in the system.

    $ whereis navigator
    navigator:

    So, what is missing? The installation script?
    Does makepkg only works with binaries compiled on the same system?

    Thank you

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  2. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > So, what is missing? The installation script?

    Yes, as this way "makepkg" will do exactly the same as unpacking
    the .tgz. If you look at the install script for firefox (saved as:
    /var/log/scripts/mozilla-firefox-
    you'll see that (among others, mostly to "hide" the version number
    in the dirs) it creates a link from /usr/bin/firefox to the startup
    script OF firefox.
    You will have to to something like it for netscape 9.

    So - for instance - when Netscape 9 is in the dir
    /usr/local/netscape9/bin
    create the link with
    ln /usr/local/netscape9/bin/netscape /usr/local/bin

    or commands like it. Makepkg has options to include the (HAND-created!)
    install script and/or description file into the package, but without
    it it just recreates the .tgz file you already had.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. EWI/TW **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@math.tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  3. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote :

    > So, what is missing?

    I'm pretty sure you are missing a symlink, and its probably:
    /usr/bin/navigator

    But take a look at the slackbuild scripts for firefox or thunderbird.
    You should be able to do something similar when building the Navigator
    package.
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    On 2007-06-12, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > I have tried and liked the new Netscape Navigator 9. It seems slightly
    > faster than my Firefox 1.5.

    http://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator/
    Enjoy! :-)

    RW

  5. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2007-06-12, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > > I have tried and liked the new Netscape Navigator 9. It seems slightly
    > > faster than my Firefox 1.5.

    > http://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator/
    > Enjoy! :-)
    >
    > RRW

    Robby,

    thanks for the package but I had no success yet.

    What I have done:
    1) Downloaded the netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    2) unpacked in /tmp/
    3)cd /tmp/navigator
    4) downloaded doinst.sh and slack-desc
    5) make pkg navigator.tgz
    6) installpkg navigator.tgz

    As before, it installed the package into / instead of /usr.

    What have I done wrong now?

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

    %

  6. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    On 2007-06-27, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2007-06-12, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    >> > I have tried and liked the new Netscape Navigator 9. It seems slightly
    >> > faster than my Firefox 1.5.

    >> http://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator/
    >> Enjoy! :-)
    >>
    >> RRW

    > Robby,
    >
    > thanks for the package but I had no success yet.
    >
    > What I have done:
    > 1) Downloaded the netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    > 2) unpacked in /tmp/
    > 3)cd /tmp/navigator
    > 4) downloaded doinst.sh and slack-desc
    > 5) make pkg navigator.tgz
    > 6) installpkg navigator.tgz
    >
    > As before, it installed the package into / instead of /usr.
    >
    > What have I done wrong now?
    >
    > Ottavio
    > http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

    Actually, you need the entire download for that to work.
    This is a build script.
    All you ended up doing was making a source package with doinst.sh and
    slack-desc file added.

    Nothing more.

    -Matt

  7. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2007-06-12, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    >>> I have tried and liked the new Netscape Navigator 9. It seems slightly
    >>> faster than my Firefox 1.5.

    >> http://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator/
    >> Enjoy! :-)
    >>
    >> RRW

    > Robby,
    >
    > thanks for the package but I had no success yet.
    >
    > What I have done:
    > 1) Downloaded the netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    > 2) unpacked in /tmp/
    > 3)cd /tmp/navigator
    > 4) downloaded doinst.sh and slack-desc
    > 5) make pkg navigator.tgz
    > 6) installpkg navigator.tgz

    Is navigator still around? How many browsers does mozilla have?
    Of course, on the surface navigator isn't mozilla, but under the
    hood...how can navigator survive when there is seamonkey and firefox?

    Is it any good?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

  9. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    On 2007-06-27, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >>
    >> http://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator/

    > Robby,
    >
    > thanks for the package but I had no success yet.
    >
    > What I have done:
    > 1) Downloaded the netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    > 2) unpacked in /tmp/
    > 3)cd /tmp/navigator
    > 4) downloaded doinst.sh and slack-desc
    > 5) make pkg navigator.tgz
    > 6) installpkg navigator.tgz
    >
    > As before, it installed the package into / instead of /usr.
    >
    > What have I done wrong now?

    That's not a package - it's a SlackBuild script and associated files.
    Do this:
    1. Download http://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/net...vigator.tar.gz
    That tarball includes the source code and everything else needed to
    build the navigator package.
    2. tar -xzf netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    3. cd netscape-navigator
    4. su
    5. ./netscape-navigator.SlackBuild
    6. installpkg /tmp/netscape-navigator-9.0b1-i686-1_SBo.tgz

    RW

  10. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    On Jun 28, 1:07 am, Robby Workman wrote:

    > That's not a package - it's a SlackBuild script and associated files.
    > Do this:
    > 1. Downloadhttp://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    > That tarball includes the source code and everything else needed to
    > build the navigator package.
    > 2. tar -xzf netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    > 3. cd netscape-navigator
    > 4. su
    > 5. ./netscape-navigator.SlackBuild
    > 6. installpkg /tmp/netscape-navigator-9.0b1-i686-1_SBo.tgz
    >
    > RW

    I see!

    Well, now it works wonderfully. Thanks Robby.

    The final .tgz is here:
    http://w13.easy-share.com/1261546.html

    I use Slack 11.0 under Qemu and my impression is that Netscape is
    slightly faster than Firefox, but this may be just an impression.

    Thanks everybody!

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  11. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    On 2007-06-28, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > On Jun 28, 1:07 am, Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> That's not a package - it's a SlackBuild script and associated files.
    >> Do this:
    >> 1. Downloadhttp://rlworkman.net/slackbuilds/netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    >> That tarball includes the source code and everything else needed to
    >> build the navigator package.
    >> 2. tar -xzf netscape-navigator.tar.gz
    >> 3. cd netscape-navigator
    >> 4. su
    >> 5. ./netscape-navigator.SlackBuild
    >> 6. installpkg /tmp/netscape-navigator-9.0b1-i686-1_SBo.tgz
    >>
    >> RW

    > I see!
    >
    > Well, now it works wonderfully. Thanks Robby.
    >
    > The final .tgz is here:
    > http://w13.easy-share.com/1261546.html

    I haven't checked into this, so you maybe can just ignore me on this,
    but you should probably investigate Netscape's licensing to make sure
    it allows redistribution of modified binary packages. I didn't feel
    like trying to find such information or I would have also provided a
    package :-)

    RW

  12. Re: How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > I haven't checked into this, so you maybe can just ignore me on this,
    > but you should probably investigate Netscape's licensing to make sure
    > it allows redistribution of modified binary packages. I didn't feel
    > like trying to find such information or I would have also provided a
    > package :-)

    The Netscape Software End User License Agreement
    http://browser.netscape.com/EULA says:
    "Redistribution or Rental Not Permitted"
    and
    "5. RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (i) make any copies of the Software other
    than an archival copy, (ii) modify or create any derivative works of the
    Software or documentation;..."
    plus a whole lot of other legal mumbo jumbo.

    Steve

  13. Netscape-navigator Licence (How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?)

    Steven J Masta wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >

    > > I haven't checked into this, so you maybe can just ignore me on this,
    > > but you should probably investigate Netscape's licensing to make sure
    > > it allows redistribution of modified binary packages. I didn't feel
    > > like trying to find such information or I would have also provided a
    > > package :-)

    > The Netscape Software End User License Agreement
    > http://browser.netscape.com/EULA says:
    > "Redistribution or Rental Not Permitted"
    > and
    > "5. RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (i) make any copies of the Software other
    > than an archival copy, (ii) modify or create any derivative works of the
    > Software or documentation;..."
    > plus a whole lot of other legal mumbo jumbo.
    >
    > Steve

    I can delete that file from the easyshare anytime, but before i do
    that can anybody explain me what right Netscape/AOL have to make an
    open source project proprietary?
    If 95% of the code is from Mozilla I presume their rights only cover a
    bunch of XUL files, which are presumably openly browsable. I think
    thay have no practical chance to prosecute anybody based on this
    ground, but if you ask me to
    delete the file, i'll do.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  14. Re: Netscape-navigator Licence (How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?)

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > I can delete that file from the easyshare anytime, but before i do
    > that can anybody explain me what right Netscape/AOL have to make an
    > open source project proprietary?

    Open source does not = free (as in freedom). I believe both Mozilla
    and Netscape have their own licenses.

    > If 95% of the code is from Mozilla I presume their rights only cover a

    The modern Netscape is based on Mozilla code (developed, in a large
    part, by Netscape). I'm sure they controlled the license and have
    taken care of the details (no, I have not read it in detail). I doubt
    as much of 95%of the code is the same. Plus, Netscape includes many
    add-ons that were not included with Mozilla (remember how Mozilla didn't
    have a spell checker for years...). Some components of Netscape are
    specially licensed so they can be distributed with Netscape (some plug-ins
    and stuff). When you download Netscape, you download more than just the
    Netscape product. That adds to the restrictions imposed on distribution.

    > bunch of XUL files, which are presumably openly browsable. I think
    > thay have no practical chance to prosecute anybody based on this
    > ground, but if you ask me to
    > delete the file, i'll do.

    Well, I gave a vague answer, but the end result is Netscape is not the
    same as Mozilla. And, while open source, it is less "free" than, say,
    GPL or BSD. You probably want to abide by the license.

    - Kurt

  15. Re: Netscape-navigator Licence (How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?)

    Ottavio Caruso (pr0f3ss0r1492@yahoo.com) writes:
    > Steven J Masta wrote:
    >> Robby Workman wrote:
    >>

    >> > I haven't checked into this, so you maybe can just ignore me on this,
    >> > but you should probably investigate Netscape's licensing to make sure
    >> > it allows redistribution of modified binary packages. I didn't feel
    >> > like trying to find such information or I would have also provided a
    >> > package :-)

    >> The Netscape Software End User License Agreement
    >> http://browser.netscape.com/EULA says:
    >> "Redistribution or Rental Not Permitted"
    >> and
    >> "5. RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (i) make any copies of the Software other
    >> than an archival copy, (ii) modify or create any derivative works of the
    >> Software or documentation;..."
    >> plus a whole lot of other legal mumbo jumbo.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I can delete that file from the easyshare anytime, but before i do
    > that can anybody explain me what right Netscape/AOL have to make an
    > open source project proprietary?

    Chances are good that they don't use GPL. I seem to recall that they
    let the code loose under some Netscape license. Hence, just as with
    BSD and any other open source project, they can put whatever restrictions
    they want on it.

    GPL is a subset of open source. It's deliberately worded a certain way
    for specific reasons. But not all open source is released under GPL. Note
    that Pine is open source, but it too carries different restrictions. BSD
    has a license that is seen by some as "more free" than GPL because letting
    loose the code does not put the condition that people modifying it have to
    release their code (or words saying something to that effect).

    Netscape issues the code under some other license. That they put restrictions
    on it is far less oppressive than never letting the code loose.

    Why did I have to disassemble that program twenty years ago in order to add
    a patch to print a left margin when printing to paper? Because the company
    that wrote the program would not release the code. Indeed, I violated
    the license agreement by disassemblying the binary, since there was a
    specific clause against doing so in the license agreement.

    Michael

  16. Re: Netscape-navigator Licence (How do I make a netscape-navigatorSlackware package?)

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Steven J Masta wrote:
    >> Robby Workman wrote:
    >>

    >> > I haven't checked into this, so you maybe can just ignore me on this,
    >> > but you should probably investigate Netscape's licensing to make sure
    >> > it allows redistribution of modified binary packages. I didn't feel
    >> > like trying to find such information or I would have also provided a
    >> > package :-)

    >> The Netscape Software End User License Agreement
    >> http://browser.netscape.com/EULA says:
    >> "Redistribution or Rental Not Permitted"
    >> and
    >> "5. RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (i) make any copies of the Software other
    >> than an archival copy, (ii) modify or create any derivative works of the
    >> Software or documentation;..."
    >> plus a whole lot of other legal mumbo jumbo.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I can delete that file from the easyshare anytime, but before i do
    > that can anybody explain me what right Netscape/AOL have to make an
    > open source project proprietary?
    > If 95% of the code is from Mozilla I presume their rights only cover a
    > bunch of XUL files, which are presumably openly browsable. I think
    > thay have no practical chance to prosecute anybody based on this
    > ground, but if you ask me to
    > delete the file, i'll do.

    The Firefox/Mozilla source code is released under the Netscape Public
    License (NPL) http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/NPL-1.1.html which is a
    modification of the Mozilla Public License (MPL)
    http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html
    The NPL gives Netscape the option of changing the license terms of the
    MPL if they release a Netscape branded product.

    I'm not a lawyer, so my interpretation might be wrong, but I'd pull the
    file just to be safe.

    Steve

  17. Re: Netscape-navigator Licence (How do I make a netscape-navigator Slackware package?)

    Steven J Masta wrote:
    > Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > > Steven J Masta wrote:

    > >> The Netscape Software End User License Agreement
    > >> http://browser.netscape.com/EULA says:
    > >> "Redistribution or Rental Not Permitted"
    > >> and
    > >> "5. RESTRICTIONS. You may not: (i) make any copies of the Software other
    > >> than an archival copy, (ii) modify or create any derivative works of the
    > >> Software or documentation;..."
    > >> plus a whole lot of other legal mumbo jumbo.
    > >>
    > >> Steve

    > > I can delete that file from the easyshare anytime, but before i do
    > > that can anybody explain me what right Netscape/AOL have to make an
    > > open source project proprietary?
    > > If 95% of the code is from Mozilla I presume their rights only cover a
    > > bunch of XUL files, which are presumably openly browsable. I think
    > > thay have no practical chance to prosecute anybody based on this
    > > ground, but if you ask me to
    > > delete the file, i'll do.

    > The Firefox/Mozilla source code is released under the Netscape Public
    > License (NPL) http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/NPL-1.1.html which is a
    > modification of the Mozilla Public License (MPL)
    > http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html
    > The NPL gives Netscape the option of changing the license terms of the
    > MPL if they release a Netscape branded product.
    >
    > I'm not a lawyer, so my interpretation might be wrong, but I'd pull the
    > file just to be safe.
    >
    > Steve

    Done!

    Ottavio