On Jun 10, 10:36 pm, Mark wrote:
> christopherlmarsh...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I prepared a root partition on my workstation with slackware 11.0 and
> > kernel 2.6.18. I installed the packages in testing/packages/
> > linux-2.6.18, created at initrd.gz from 2.6.18 with the resierfs
> > module, and ran lilo.

> > In the initrd phase of the boot process for kernel 2.6.18, when it
> > tries to insmod resierfs, I get an error message about version magic
> > '2.6.18 mon_unload 486 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.18 mod_unload 486
> > gcc-3.3'

> > I take this to mean the kernel image I am trying to boot was compiled
> > with gcc-3.3 while the 2.6.18 modules package was compiles with gcc.
> > 3.4 and thus the kernel refuses to load the modules in the initrd.gz.

> > I can't quite believe Slackware11.0 could have such a mistake in it
> > (no one else would have been able to boot a 2..6.18 kernel and then
> > load modules).

> > I must be overlooking something.

> > Any ideas what?

> > Chris Marshall

> Did you install the 2.6.18 kernel modules?- Hide quoted text -

Yes. I figured out what I did. It was my fault, of course ;-)

I had already compiled 2.6.18 on my own before, under slackware 10.2,
leaving vmlinuz-2.6.18 in my /boot partition. After preparing a root
partition with slackware 11.0, I copied *2.6.18* from /usr/root2/boot
to /boot, then edited my lilo.conf to give me a boot option for root
using /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18 and not /boot/vmlinuz-generic-2.6.18, which
is the kernel that came from the slackware 2.6.18 package.

So the kernel I had compiled on my own and accidently booted from was
refusing to load modules from the slackware compiled 2.6.18, which I
am glad it did.

I reconfigured lilo and all is now well.

Chris Marshall