Re: Disabled vs. Handicapped - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: Disabled vs. Handicapped - Slackware ; Jun 10: Responding to Guy Macon... [...] >> >> Therefore, when I talk with another DP about "Crips" it >> means one thing, and if I hear ABs using the term, I know it >> likely means something different, and ...

  1. Re: Disabled vs. Handicapped

    Jun 10: Responding to Guy Macon...

    [...]
    >> Therefore, when I talk with another DP about "Crips" it
    >> means one thing, and if I hear ABs using the term, I know it
    >> likely means something different, and not likely positive.
    >> (Didja see that reverse discrimination example in there?
    >> See how easy it is to slip into that mindset?)
    >>
    >> Therefore, it is also easy to walk (or roll) right into a
    >> sticky chunk of discriminatory language each and every day.
    >> No need to look for it, and no need to find it where it does
    >> not exist.

    > You might find it interesting that it was only on the second
    > reading that I interpreted "Crips" as "Crippled." Living in
    > Los Angeles, the only time I hear that word is in reference to
    > a group of gang bangers who wear blue and dislike the Bloods
    > -- another group of gang bangers who wear red, and that's the
    > meaning that came to mind.

    Two nations separated by a common language?

    But this can happen across "cultural" bounderies too.

    Slacker = Lazy.

    Slacker = Productively and ingeniously constructive.

    Slacker = Less tight.

    And then there is that little gem, the "fanny", which means
    something slightly different in English.

    P.S. Note the clever references to Slackware to keep us on topic!

    --

    Yellow Submarine?
    Nah. Its a TeaPot!

  2. Re: att:employers-Guy Macon

    Mike wrote:
    > Jun 10: Responding to Guy Macon...

    We have returned the subject line to its original.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

+ Reply to Thread