Re: Slack 11 + wireless card - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: Slack 11 + wireless card - Slackware ; > Does the Linksys card work in the DELL machine? Does the USR card work in > the Toshiba? The answers to those questions might give a hint if it is a > driver problem for the card or a ...

  1. Re: Slack 11 + wireless card

    > Does the Linksys card work in the DELL machine? Does the USR card work in
    > the Toshiba? The answers to those questions might give a hint if it is a
    > driver problem for the card or a driver problem for the PCMCIA bus.

    The Linksys card doesn't work on the Dell & I haven't got the drivers
    to install the USR on the Toshiba.
    The Dell doesn't use ndiswrapper to get the card working, I am a bit
    reluctant to install it & break something I can't remember how I did
    it.
    I will look on the web for drivers for the USR card & have a go on th
    Toshiba.
    I can get the card to work in windows, but I have been using Linux
    long enough to know that doesn't mean much!
    Any ideas how I may have got the USR card to work on the Dell, I know
    it's a daft question but I just can't remember & can't find ant
    indications.

    Thanks
    Les

  2. Re: Slack 11 + wireless card

    Lez wrote:
    > Any ideas how I may have got the USR card to work on the Dell, I know
    > it's a daft question but I just can't remember & can't find ant
    > indications.

    Start by looking at the toshiba machine were it works. What drivers are
    needed to make it work? Output from tools like dmesg and lsmod is a good
    place to start.

    As the pcmcia bus is plug and play you can start the machine without the
    card. Check the output from dmesg, insert the card and check what is new
    in the output from dmesg.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Slack 11 + wireless card

    Managed to find out what was happening to the Dell laptop.
    I had a linuxant driver installed.
    I did the same to the toshiba, following the easy instructions, & it
    worked.
    I now have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 that works with the Linksys wireless
    card.
    I had to get a 30 day license to try it out, will have to get a full
    one!

    Happy Lez :-)

+ Reply to Thread