Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions - Slackware ; Mike wrote: > Mine is a Pentium-MMX 233MHz and though I've searched > ftp.slackware.com, SlackBuilds, the USC Mirror and LinuxPackages I > can't find firefox-1.5.0.12 or any firefox built for the 486 or > Pentium. > Perhaps if you post ...

  1. Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions

    Mike wrote:

    > Mine is a Pentium-MMX 233MHz and though I've searched
    > ftp.slackware.com, SlackBuilds, the USC Mirror and LinuxPackages I
    > can't find firefox-1.5.0.12 or any firefox built for the 486 or
    > Pentium.
    > Perhaps if you post the package name I'll be able to find it.

    The one I'm using is mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.12-i686-1, obtained from
    ftp.slackware.com (or a nearby mirror; I can't recall for sure).
    Don't worry about the CPU indication in the package name in this case.
    It works just fine on a system with the following CPU:

    : chartrand[syl] ~; cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 5
    model : 4
    model name : Pentium MMX
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 199.905
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : yes
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx
    bogomips : 398.95

    I hope that helps ...

  2. Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions

    On Jun 11, 1:05 pm, Sylvain Robitaille
    wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    > > Mine is a Pentium-MMX 233MHz and though I've searched ...
    > > Perhaps if you post the package name I'll be able to find it.

    > The one I'm using is mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.12-i686-1, obtained from
    > ftp.slackware.com (or a nearby mirror; I can't recall for sure).
    > Don't worry about the CPU indication in the package name in this case.
    > It works just fine on a system with the following CPU:
    >
    > model name : Pentium MMX
    > cpu MHz : 199.905
    > I hope that helps ...

    Thanks Sylvain for your help.
    After downloading and installing several versions of Firefox all of
    which fail like so:

    root@slak11:~> firefox -g
    (no debugging symbols found)

    [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 2426)]
    0x00000000 in ?? ()
    (gdb) backtrace
    #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    #1 0x40bdf12a in _cairo_pixman_composite_tri_fan ()
    from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
    #2 0x40be20a3 in _cairo_pixman_composite_tri_fan ()
    from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2

    I tried removing and re-installing libcairo but that didn't help and
    comparing the libs here against Debian4.0 where Firefox 1.5 runs for
    me I could see no show stoppers.
    I checked the output of ldd run against the firefox executable and
    spotted no problems.
    I've old versions of Mozilla and Opera that I use in Slackware 7.0 and
    Redhat so I tried them and they work fine here.
    Finally I installed a new version of Opera to use here until I get the
    problem solved. I really prefer Firefox but as they say, 'There's more
    than one way to skin a cat.'
    I suspect I've a libs problem but don't really know where to go from
    here.
    Is there dependancy info in Slackware somewhere?
    Thanks again,
    Mike

  3. Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:56:17 -0700, Mike wrote:
    >After downloading and installing several versions of Firefox all of
    >which fail like so:
    >
    >root@slak11:~> firefox -g
    > (no debugging symbols found)

    > [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 2426)]
    > 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    > (gdb) backtrace
    > #0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    > #1 0x40bdf12a in _cairo_pixman_composite_tri_fan ()
    > from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
    > #2 0x40be20a3 in _cairo_pixman_composite_tri_fan ()
    > from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2

    On a different tack, how about performing an install file check? Like:

    $ cd /path/to/slackware-11.0
    $ md5sum -c CHECKSUMS.md5 |grep -v " OK"

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  4. Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions

    On Jun 14, 4:10 pm, Grant wrote:

    > On a different tack, how about performing an install file check? Like:
    >
    > $ cd /path/to/slackware-11.0
    > $ md5sum -c CHECKSUMS.md5 |grep -v " OK"

    Thanks for the suggestion Grant.
    This only checked the packages (*tar.gz), is there a similar command
    to check the files that are installed? So far I haven't found a
    listing of the checksums for the individual files in the packages.
    Much obliged,
    Mike

  5. Re: Slackware 11.0, firefox and other questions

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:15:59 -0700, Mike wrote:

    >On Jun 14, 4:10 pm, Grant wrote:
    >>
    >> On a different tack, how about performing an install file check? Like:
    >>
    >> $ cd /path/to/slackware-11.0
    >> $ md5sum -c CHECKSUMS.md5 |grep -v " OK"
    >>

    >Thanks for the suggestion Grant.
    >This only checked the packages (*tar.gz), is there a similar command
    >to check the files that are installed? So far I haven't found a
    >listing of the checksums for the individual files in the packages.

    No, but there is a brute force method you can follow, verify the
    install source (copy CDs to HDD to get a single install tree) as
    described, then reinstall the lot:

    upgradepkg --reinstall /path/to/slackware-11.0/slackware/*/*tgz

    rsync in the updated packages from a mirror, then:

    upgradepkg /path/to/slackware-11.0/patches/packages/*tgz

    will result in a clean reinstall. Doesn't hurt so much if you
    walk away and do something else during the long process )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

+ Reply to Thread