[OT] Email query - Sinclair

This is a discussion on [OT] Email query - Sinclair ; Okay, I'm no techy kind of person but I'm sure plenty of the good folks of CSS will be able to help me out. Here's what I need... I will shortly be changing my ISP and therefore my email address ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: [OT] Email query

  1. [OT] Email query

    Okay, I'm no techy kind of person but I'm sure plenty of the good folks of
    CSS will be able to help me out. Here's what I need...

    I will shortly be changing my ISP and therefore my email address but what
    I'd like to do now is set up a new email address ASAP which I can set up to
    forward to my current email. Then, once I finally change ISP, I'll just
    change the forwarding destination to whatever my new email address is. My
    question is what is the best way to do this?

    Obviously setting up an address with Googlemail or some such service is the
    easiest and cheapest method, when compared with another method like
    registering a domain name and doing it that way. However, what I'm after is
    not necessarily the cheapest method, but the most reliable method.

    So what do folks recommend?

    Len
    PS You can go back to talking about crisps and sweets again now. Thanks for
    reading.
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk


  2. Re: [OT] Email query

    On 2008-11-09, Llama-Wax Len wrote:

    > I will shortly be changing my ISP and therefore my email address but what
    > I'd like to do now is set up a new email address ASAP which I can set up to
    > forward to my current email. Then, once I finally change ISP, I'll just
    > change the forwarding destination to whatever my new email address is. My
    > question is what is the best way to do this?


    Well, I have an account with plusnet, it costs me £5 or so per month,
    and for that they host my domains, receive my email and I pick up the
    email via pop to deliver to my local mail server. This means I can
    change ISP and still receive my email via webmail, then when I'm up
    again I can use pop to re-fetch my email from the new IP address.

    It's time I looked around for other vendors, I've been with plusnet
    for about 4 years or so now, so better deals might be available.

    One thing I will end up doing is setting up a mail server that can be
    reached from outside, then I will change my domains to forward
    directly to it, removing the pop link.

    --
    Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  3. Re: [OT] Email query

    Llama-Wax Len wrote:
    > Okay, I'm no techy kind of person but I'm sure plenty of the good folks
    > of CSS will be able to help me out. Here's what I need...
    >
    > I will shortly be changing my ISP and therefore my email address but
    > what I'd like to do now is set up a new email address ASAP which I can
    > set up to forward to my current email. Then, once I finally change ISP,
    > I'll just change the forwarding destination to whatever my new email
    > address is. My question is what is the best way to do this?
    >
    > Obviously setting up an address with Googlemail or some such service is
    > the easiest and cheapest method, when compared with another method like
    > registering a domain name and doing it that way. However, what I'm after
    > is not necessarily the cheapest method, but the most reliable method.
    >
    > So what do folks recommend?
    >
    > Len
    > PS You can go back to talking about crisps and sweets again now. Thanks
    > for reading.


    gmail seems jolly reliable really in my experience

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  4. Re: [OT] Email query

    Guesser wrote:
    > Llama-Wax Len wrote:
    >> Okay, I'm no techy kind of person but I'm sure plenty of the good folks
    >> of CSS will be able to help me out. Here's what I need...
    >>
    >> I will shortly be changing my ISP and therefore my email address but
    >> what I'd like to do now is set up a new email address ASAP which I can
    >> set up to forward to my current email. Then, once I finally change ISP,
    >> I'll just change the forwarding destination to whatever my new email
    >> address is. My question is what is the best way to do this?
    >>
    >> Obviously setting up an address with Googlemail or some such service is
    >> the easiest and cheapest method, when compared with another method like
    >> registering a domain name and doing it that way. However, what I'm after
    >> is not necessarily the cheapest method, but the most reliable method.
    >>
    >> So what do folks recommend?
    >>
    >> Len
    >> PS You can go back to talking about crisps and sweets again now. Thanks
    >> for reading.

    >
    > gmail seems jolly reliable really in my experience
    >

    Ditto, I know they've experienced downtime once in a while, but I've never
    encountered it. Their reliability is reportedly around about the 99.9% mark
    which equates to about 45 minutes downtime per month, I think.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!" |
    | in | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
    | Computer Science | - Father Jack in "Father Ted" |

  5. Re: [OT] Email query

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 14:43:57 -0000, "Llama-Wax Len"
    wrote:

    [email]

    >So what do folks recommend?


    Try asking on , quite a knowledgeable
    (and friendly[1]) community there...

    [1] Except for that robert@fm geezer, he's an arsehole...[2]

    [2] [That's *you*, you idiot -- Ed]

  6. Re: [OT] Email query

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:38:14 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Andrew Halliwell:

    > > gmail seems jolly reliable really in my experience
    > >

    > Ditto, I know they've experienced downtime once in a while, but I've never
    > encountered it.


    Same here. I get GMail to forward everything to my proper email
    account, but of course you can just get your email via POP3 direct
    from the server or use webmail (if that's your thang).

    It would be even better if some tosser realised that his email address
    isn't mine. I get notifications of bank deposits, emails from his
    cousin (including photos of her on holiday), invoices for army surplus
    gear I haven't bought and isn't being delivered to me[1], information
    on Spanish lessons, newsletters about his new Audi and even a copy of
    a passport. It's pissing me off, but no amount of email responses,
    even very annoyed ones with lots of capital letters, stops it. It's
    not spam - it's worse, as it doesn't get filtered out automatically.

    Arrgh![2] Perhaps I should post the passport up somewhere and let the
    identity fraudsters get to work. Thing is, it isn't his passport,
    although it's undoubtedly one of his family.

    I also get loads of marketing calls for somebody who doesn't live here
    and never has. I had his full name and address at one point, just
    through people asking "oh, that's not forget now>?" in response to "no, you've got the wrong number".

    Chris
    [1] I replied and said "I didn't order this", and they said "yes you
    did, I've just called to confirm and left you a message".
    [2] That was a great website.


    --
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+

    DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

  7. Re: [OT] Email query

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 Llama-Wax Len wrote:

    >I will shortly be changing my ISP and therefore my email address but
    >what I'd like to do now is set up a new email address ASAP which I can
    >set up to forward to my current email. Then, once I finally change ISP,
    >I'll just change the forwarding destination to whatever my new email
    >address is. My question is what is the best way to do this?


    For the last decade or more I've been running my e-mail through
    Clara.net (http://www.clara.net). I started with a full ISP account but
    have migrated to a series of ever-cheaper packages as my needs for
    non-mail services were moved elsewhere.

    Right now I'm using their News And Mail service, which for a tenner a
    year gives me unlimited e-mail addresses at a virtual domain (of the
    form anyname@mydomain.clara.co.uk), POP3 collection, authenticated SMTP
    delivery, a webmail interface, text only usenet access and the best
    server-side e-mail filtering I've yet seen. There's also BorderScout
    pre-emptive spam trapping which isn't 100% accurate but can be made to
    work reasonably well in conjunction with the filters and client-side
    routing.

    I've moved ISP and web host several times in the last ten years or so
    but I've always stuck with Clara for the e-mail handling. It would
    certainly work in your case; you could use one of the Clara addresses,
    forward it to your current address using the Clara e-mail filters, then
    if you went for a full hosting solution in future you could forward THAT
    through Clara and still take advantage of any filters you have set up.

    The only problem with getting started with Clara these days is that
    they've slowly become more and more geared towards business solutions.
    They still provide consumer packages but gleaning information on them
    from their website, which is a confusing melange of corporate speak,
    isn't the easiest job in the world.

    I'd love to be able to give you a link direct to the News And Mail
    package but the best I could give you would be a link to some of the
    T&Cs. However there are some 'contact us' type links and phone numbers
    on the site if you want to seek further info.

    --
    Kev
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Vice President, and
    that one word is 'to be prepared'." Dan Quayle

  8. Re: [OT] Email query

    Chris Young wrote:
    > On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:38:14 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Andrew Halliwell:
    >
    >> > gmail seems jolly reliable really in my experience
    >> >

    >> Ditto, I know they've experienced downtime once in a while, but I've never
    >> encountered it.

    >
    > Same here. I get GMail to forward everything to my proper email
    > account, but of course you can just get your email via POP3 direct
    > from the server or use webmail (if that's your thang).
    >
    > It would be even better if some tosser realised that his email address
    > isn't mine. I get notifications of bank deposits, emails from his
    > cousin (including photos of her on holiday), invoices for army surplus
    > gear I haven't bought and isn't being delivered to me[1], information
    > on Spanish lessons, newsletters about his new Audi and even a copy of
    > a passport. It's pissing me off, but no amount of email responses,
    > even very annoyed ones with lots of capital letters, stops it. It's
    > not spam - it's worse, as it doesn't get filtered out automatically.


    LOL. you too?
    Marko has a similar problem from another mark boyd in america.
    he's even been invited to a wedding.


    --
    | spike1@freenet.co,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |
    | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |
    | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |

  9. Re: Email query

    On Nov 9, 2:43*pm, "Llama-Wax Len"
    wrote:

    > So what do folks recommend?


    Use gmail. mail.ru used to be great but it's a bit flaky these days.

    > PS You can go back to talking about crisps and sweets again now.


    I tried a pack of classic Monster Munch pickled onion flavour and I
    barely managed to finish the packet. They taste just like I remember,
    but it was taste overload. I like subtler flavours now. Tried a Wispa
    the other day as well. What was all the fuss about? It's just another
    bland chocalike[1] bar.

    [1] British chocolate doesn't even count as chocolate by some
    standards as the cocoa solids count is too low.

  10. Re: Email query

    OwenBot wrote:
    > [1] British chocolate doesn't even count as chocolate by some
    > standards as the cocoa solids count is too low.


    Chocolate flavoured cheese.

    --
    JGH - Et Ovum Excoxi

  11. Re: Email query

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 01:24:40 -0800 (PST) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC OwenBot:

    > > PS You can go back to talking about crisps and sweets again now.

    >
    > I tried a pack of classic Monster Munch pickled onion flavour and I
    > barely managed to finish the packet. They taste just like I remember,
    > but it was taste overload. I like subtler flavours now.


    I've not seen the Monster Munch Classic anywhere yet.

    > Tried a Wispa
    > the other day as well. What was all the fuss about? It's just another
    > bland chocalike[1] bar.


    Wispas were replaced by Dairy Milk Bubbly. However, the two are
    incomparable - the chunkiness of the Wispa adds to the texture and
    flavour of the chocolatly goodness. I'm not sure if they've axed
    Bubbly, but they should do - it's more like an all-chocolate Aero, but
    with better chocolate (Nestlé chocolate is pretty horrible, so I
    don't touch it unless it has something non-chocolate as one of the
    major ingredients. I'm talking Rolos here, basically).

    > [1] British chocolate doesn't even count as chocolate by some
    > standards as the cocoa solids count is too low.


    Go for the Green & Blacks - that stuff is lovely (and it's like 80%
    proof or something, and significantly more than 75p and a packet of
    Rolos per bar)

    Chris


    --
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+

    DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

  12. Re: Email query

    On Nov 10, 6:43*pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:

    > Go for the Green & Blacks - that stuff is lovely (and it's like 80%
    > proof or something, and significantly more than 75p and a packet of
    > Rolos per bar)


    I can't stand that stepped-on stuff -- I like my chocolate un-cut;
    Lindt 99%.

  13. Re: Email query

    OwenBot wrote:
    > On Nov 10, 6:43 pm, "Chris Young"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Go for the Green & Blacks - that stuff is lovely (and it's like 80%
    >> proof or something, and significantly more than 75p and a packet of
    >> Rolos per bar)

    >
    > I can't stand that stepped-on stuff -- I like my chocolate un-cut;
    > Lindt 99%.


    yeah well I just grind up cocoa beans and inject them straight into my veins

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  14. Re: Email query

    On 2008-11-10, Guesser wrote:

    > OwenBot wrote:
    >> I can't stand that stepped-on stuff -- I like my chocolate un-cut;
    >> Lindt 99%.

    >
    > yeah well I just grind up cocoa beans and inject them straight into my veins


    I put a kilo of them into an old sock and put them **CENSORED**

    --
    Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  15. Re: [OT] Email query

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:14:37 +0000, Guesser wrote:
    > gmail seems jolly reliable really in my experience


    My only annoyance with it is that there's no way of turning the spam
    filter off, and messages tagged as spam get binned automatically after 30
    days. As there seems to be no way to download messages that are flagged as
    spam via POP, I have to remember to use gmail's web interface one a month
    to make sure it isn't about to nuke any false positives (it's happened
    every so often)

    (I think switching from POP to IMAP might sort me out, but I've never got
    the necessary tuits together :-)

    cheers

    Jules


  16. Re: [OT] Email query

    Jules wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:14:37 +0000, Guesser wrote:
    >> gmail seems jolly reliable really in my experience

    >
    > My only annoyance with it is that there's no way of turning the spam
    > filter off, and messages tagged as spam get binned automatically after 30
    > days. As there seems to be no way to download messages that are flagged as
    > spam via POP, I have to remember to use gmail's web interface one a month
    > to make sure it isn't about to nuke any false positives (it's happened
    > every so often)
    >


    why not set up your reader to log into the im...

    > (I think switching from POP to IMAP might sort me out, but I've never got
    > the necessary tuits together :-)
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules
    >


    yes that
    that's the way I do it. Gmail really does have excellent spam filtering,
    it's far better than any of the other email providers I've ever used

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  17. Re: Email query

    "Chris Young" wrote:

    > Wispas were replaced by Dairy Milk Bubbly.


    I hate how every chocolate bar Cadbury ever did seems to have been turned
    into a minor variation of Dairy Milk.

    Eq.



  18. Re: Email query

    On Nov 10, 10:52*pm, Guesser wrote:
    > Gmail really does have excellent spam filtering,
    > it's far better than any of the other email providers I've ever used


    mail.ru allows you to bounce mail. You can set up your own filters. I
    find this method more effective as with gmail you still get the spam
    but with mail.ru it never even arrives. The problem is that it's hard
    to get the registration process to work for new accounts and the admin
    pages are only continually available in Russian - the English pages
    are flaky. Shame as other than that it's very good.

  19. Re: Email query

    OwenBot wrote:
    > mail.ru allows you to bounce mail.


    If my experience of emailing people with mail.ru accounts is anything to
    go by, bouncing mail is one thing they do very well...

  20. Re: Email query

    On Nov 11, 2:27*pm, Matthew Westcott wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    > > mail.ru allows you to bounce mail.

    >
    > If my experience of emailing people with mail.ru accounts is anything to
    > go by, bouncing mail is one thing they do very well...


    Yes, I had noticed that of late, hence my move to gmail.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast