Ooh, look: a C5! - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Ooh, look: a C5! - Sinclair ; I found this while nosing around the old electric interweb the other night: http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/sinclair-c5.html Nothing we didn't know already (I love that "eccentric genius" bit, though) but it's always nice to see one. Looks like it's in pretty good nick, ...

  1. Ooh, look: a C5!

    I found this while nosing around the old electric interweb the other night:
    http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/sinclair-c5.html

    Nothing we didn't know already (I love that "eccentric genius" bit,
    though) but it's always nice to see one. Looks like it's in pretty good
    nick, too.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  2. Re: Ooh, look: a C5!

    I know its been said before, but the ridicule attached to the c5 is almost
    completely the fault of the bankers. (substitute a w if you like) who made
    him launch it in the middle of winter. It would have been better to launch
    it in summer as a recreational vehicle, but it was tends to be the case with
    Clive creations, late being actually made and then launched at Ally Pally in
    the middle of a blizzard, which caused snow drifts. It was white and so is
    snow. It only drove 1 wheel and it got bogged down of course..

    I know I was there. Sad, very sad. A few years later while in Guernsey, I
    was shown a huge field full of them, all unsold.

    Someone had bought them cheap and was trying to sell them to the tourist
    industry over there.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    >I found this while nosing around the old electric interweb the other night:
    > http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/sinclair-c5.html
    >
    > Nothing we didn't know already (I love that "eccentric genius" bit,
    > though) but it's always nice to see one. Looks like it's in pretty good
    > nick, too.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan Snowden.

  3. Re: Ooh, look: a C5!

    Another case of Clive being ahead of his time I guess. I think history
    will look favourably on the C5 concept in the long run.

  4. Re: Ooh, look: a C5!

    Well a concept yes, but there was nothing that innovative in it. I was a
    simple electric motor and battery powered vehicle for 1 with pedal backup.
    It seemed rather flimsy to me and tended to rock from side to side if
    pedalled. I wonder how hardy they were as far as breaking?I mean, in a
    couple of winters would the plastic bitsgo brittle?

    One of the main problems was perceived vulnerability if used on roads with a
    lot of traffic. You were very low down, a bit like on those recumbent cycles
    and thus not expected, as it were.
    You almost needed a long pole with a light on it to be seen from many larger
    vehicles if you were alongside!

    Brian

    --
    "OwenBot" wrote in message
    > Another case of Clive being ahead of his time I guess. I think history
    > will look favourably on the C5 concept in the long run.

  5. Re: Ooh, look: a C5!

    > Nothing we didn't know already (I love that "eccentric genius" bit,
    > though) but it's always nice to see one.

    It's at this point that I'm contractually obliged to point out the one that
    sits in a museum in Edinburgh, despite it having been mentioned countless
    times on CSS before. Well, at least four.[1]

    Len
    [1] Perhaps most importantly in the context of a life-changing experience I
    had, detailed in the wonderfully titled thread "The ZX80, a flying C5 and my
    magical arse" which I just found when I researched the matter on Google.
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk

+ Reply to Thread