48k better.. - Sinclair

This is a discussion on 48k better.. - Sinclair ; Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the colours in the line as it was in the listing. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't ...

  1. 48k better..

    Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the colours
    in the line as it was in the listing.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

  2. Re: 48k better..

    "Brian Gaff" wrote:

    > Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the
    > colours in the line as it was in the listing.

    But in 48 BASIC:
    - You can't enter the PLAY or SPECTRUM commands, or edit lines that use
    them.
    - It's possible to embed nasty sequences of control codes and get lost in a
    sea of question marks and beeping.
    - Editing existing lines is really horribly painful.
    - The longer the line, the slower it responds to your typing.

    I do like the single-key entry system, actually -- it can be faster to write
    code in 48 mode, but if you aren't using the keyboard with all the symbols
    on it then this can be outweighed by the half hour you spend trying to find
    bloody STR$.

    The 128 editor also seems to have more annoying bugs, which Ian Collier
    documented some years ago.

    Eq.

  3. Re: 48k better..

    Brian Gaff wrote:
    > Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the colours
    > in the line as it was in the listing.
    >
    > Brian

    128 BASIC just feels sort of 'cold', with the garish flashing blue and
    white cursor, unlike the warm and friendly flashing 'K' cursor of 48 BASIC.

    It may just be my emulation platform not being up to the job, but the
    128 editor also sometimes has trouble keeping up with my typing.

  4. Re: 48k better..

    You can do that in 128 BASIC on the Spanish machine. It's just that
    this functionality was broken in the UK (MkII) ROM. The only thing the
    UK ROM has over the Spanish one is that it can deal with lower case
    command entry. I'm going to try and figure out a patch for the Spanish
    ROM to try and address this issue.

    On Oct 24, 9:26*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the colours
    > in the line as it was in the listing.

  5. Re: 48k better..

    The 128 editor always did seem sluggish. I agree that the problem with a
    line slowing down edit wise in 48k editor was somewhat annoying, but there
    were some toolkit routines that could make it jump more keywords etc I
    recall.

    I just wish they had made the 128 editor like the 48k one but faster and
    then it would have been fine for me.

    Academic now for me, but I can dream.

    "Magic Knight" wrote in message
    > Brian Gaff wrote:
    >> Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the
    >> colours in the line as it was in the listing.
    >>
    >> Brian
    >>

    > 128 BASIC just feels sort of 'cold', with the garish flashing blue and
    > white cursor, unlike the warm and friendly flashing 'K' cursor of 48
    > BASIC.
    >
    > It may just be my emulation platform not being up to the job, but the 128
    > editor also sometimes has trouble keeping up with my typing.

  6. Re: 48k better..

    So its a key code handling issue then?

    "OwenBot" wrote in message
    You can do that in 128 BASIC on the Spanish machine. It's just that
    this functionality was broken in the UK (MkII) ROM. The only thing the
    UK ROM has over the Spanish one is that it can deal with lower case
    command entry. I'm going to try and figure out a patch for the Spanish
    ROM to try and address this issue.

    On Oct 24, 9:26 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > Because you could embed your colour attributes in lines and see the
    > colours
    > in the line as it was in the listing.

  7. Re: 48k better..

    Yes. On the Spanish ROM stylised 'G' characters are shown with the
    various colours where the key codes go, and the line is rendered in
    black on white. This actually makes it much easier to use them as it
    no-longer renders your listing in whatever colour you just added to a
    line. For some reason this was abandoned in the Mk II ROM.

    > So its a key code handling issue then?
    >
    > Brian

  8. Re: 48k better..

    Well I don't know what happened to my last reply but, yes, it's a code
    handling issue. The original Mk I editor uses special characters to
    indicate codes and actually makes editing them easier than in the 48K
    editor.

  9. Re: 48k better..

    Third attempt at a reply, (google groups, spit spit)...

    Yes, it is a key code handling issue. The original 128 editor handles
    them, arguably better than the 48 editor, the UK 128 editor does not.

    > So its a key code handling issue then?

  10. Re: 48k better..

    OwenBot wrote:
    > Third attempt at a reply, (google groups, spit spit)...
    >
    > Yes, it is a key code handling issue. The original 128 editor handles
    > them, arguably better than the 48 editor, the UK 128 editor does not.
    >
    >> So its a key code handling issue then?

    I think the Google Groups thing might take a little longer to update
    than a traditional newsgroup server.

  11. Re: 48k better..

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:12:22 +0000, Magic Knight wibbled on for an age:

    > OwenBot wrote:
    > > Third attempt at a reply, (google groups, spit spit)...

    [...]
    > I think the Google Groups thing might take a little longer to update
    > than a traditional newsgroup server.

    Yes, I've seen Mr Bot's reply at least four times now (including one
    apparent cancel and the same message reappearing later in the day)

    Chris

  12. Re: 48k better..

    On 27 Oct 2008 18:35:57 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Chris Young:

    > Yes, I've seen Mr Bot's reply at least four times now (including one
    > apparent cancel and the same message reappearing later in the day)

    .... which confused my newsreader, made me have to delete c.s.s and
    re-add it and completely forget that I need to reset my email address
    manually aargh!

    That nicely spam-free address probably will not be for much longer :-(

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  13. Re: 48k better..

    sorry about that

  14. Re: 48k better..

    OwenBot wrote:
    > sorry about that

    Yeh feckin' eejit!

    Wait there till I getcha!

  15. Re: 48k better..

    On Oct 29, 9:59*am, fuzzix wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    > > sorry about that

    > Yeh feckin' eejit!
    >
    > Wait there till I getcha!

    I see the eternal September still isn't over.

  16. Re: 48k better..

    On 2008-10-29, OwenBot wrote:
    > I see the eternal September still isn't over.

    $ date
    Wed Sep 5537 10:44:48 GMT 1993

    Indeed, it hasn't :-)

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.

  17. Re: 48k better..

    OwenBot wrote:

    > I see the eternal September still isn't over.

    the clue's in the name

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  18. Re: 48k better..

    OwenBot wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 9:59 am, fuzzix wrote:
    >> OwenBot wrote:
    >>> sorry about that

    >> Yeh feckin' eejit!
    >>
    >> Wait there till I getcha!

    > I see the eternal September still isn't over.

    Ooooh, you're so seasoned!

    Guess you're not a Father Ted fan.

  19. Re: 48k better..

    On Oct 29, 8:54*pm, fuzzix wrote:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    > >> Yeh feckin' eejit!

    > >> Wait there till I getcha!

    > > I see the eternal September still isn't over.

    > Ooooh, you're so seasoned!
    >
    > Guess you're not a Father Ted fan.

    On the contrary, I like Father Ted. But I've lived and worked in
    Ireland and while there are worse things to say, your comment was
    stronger than the mild admonition perhaps intended. While you're at
    it, don't go calling any Londoners a berk.

+ Reply to Thread