Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing? - Sinclair ; Years ago, when I had a little rubber keyed bundle of wonder, I used to mess around with BASIC. I recently got a copy of Spectaculator for the Windows XP platform (Mandriva gave up on me) and have been using ...

  1. Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    Years ago, when I had a little rubber keyed bundle of wonder, I used to
    mess around with BASIC.

    I recently got a copy of Spectaculator for the Windows XP platform
    (Mandriva gave up on me) and have been using it to come up with a couple
    of simple little programs.

    Now.....

    I am almost certain that when I originally had a Speccy, that there was
    some way in which I could edit a line within the middle of a program,
    without having to type the whole line in again. ie with

    10 REM wut
    20 Let a=5
    30 GOTO 20

    there was a method whereby I could 'select' line 20, and it would pop up
    at the bottom of the screen, and I could amend it, without needing to
    type the whole thing in again. I've had a look through a couple of BASIC
    books by a chap called Steve Vickers, but to no avail.

    (I did also used to have a +2, so I'm not sure if I'm confusing this
    with something from the 128K editor)

    Also;

    I'm sure there used to be a way in which it was possible to create a
    custom character using the DATA statement. My memory is a bit hazy, but
    it went something along the lines of creating a grid, 8x8, and
    converting the binary representation into decimal, as a series of 8
    numbers in a DATA staement. I think it may be linked to the CHR$
    command, but again, this was about 25 years ago.

    Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction?

  2. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    "Some Dude" wrote:

    > I am almost certain that when I originally had a Speccy, that there was
    > some way in which I could edit a line within the middle of a program,
    > without having to type the whole line in again.

    In 48 BASIC, you can use the vertical arrow keys (Caps+6 and 7) to select a
    line, and then press Edit (Caps+1) to bring it down for editing.

    > I'm sure there used to be a way in which it was possible to create a
    > custom character using the DATA statement.

    Those are UDGs (user-defined graphics). I think there's a chapter on them in
    the manual.

    Eq.

  3. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    http://www.worldofspectru.org/sinclairbasic/

    Please report the broken links to Martijn, but the critical stuff all
    works.

  4. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    Some Dude wrote:
    > 10 REM wut
    > 20 Let a=5
    > 30 GOTO 20
    >
    > there was a method whereby I could 'select' line 20, and it would pop up
    > at the bottom of the screen,

    Yes, simple as pi.
    cursor keys (shift 5,6,7,8) or whatever cursor keys the emulator accepts.
    use up and down to move the line indicator ">" and then press shift 1
    "edit".

    > (I did also used to have a +2, so I'm not sure if I'm confusing this
    > with something from the 128K editor)

    The 128k editor allowed inline editing, it didn't need to be selected and
    edited with the "Edit" key. (in 128 mode, the Edit key brought up the basic
    menu for calculator, renumber, etc)

    > Also;
    >
    > I'm sure there used to be a way in which it was possible to create a
    > custom character using the DATA statement. My memory is a bit hazy, but
    > it went something along the lines of creating a grid, 8x8, and
    > converting the binary representation into decimal, as a series of 8
    > numbers in a DATA staement. I think it may be linked to the CHR$
    > command, but again, this was about 25 years ago.

    poke usr "a", etc
    usr "a" returned the address of the UDG on the "A" key in graphics mode.
    as did b, c, d, e, etc.
    poke usr "a", 0 would blank out the top line of that udg
    poke usr "a"+1, bin "10101010" would set the bits accordingly, on the second
    line of the A character.
    etc

  5. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > http://www.worldofspectru.org/sinclairbasic/
    >
    > Please report the broken links to Martijn, but the critical stuff all
    > works.

    Many thanks for the help chaps.

    I just had a hankering to get something done for the Crap Games compo.

    It's wet. It's an afternoon. It's as grey as can be.

    Perfect for re-learning that which I've already forgotten.

  6. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    > Many thanks for the help chaps.
    >
    > I just had a hankering to get something done for the Crap Games compo.

    Always nice to read about ongoing crap game development.

    With UDGs you are really spoiling us!

    Cheers, DP

  7. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:09:13 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC OwenBot:

    > http://www.worldofspectru.org/sinclairbasic/
    >
    > Please report the broken links to Martijn

    Does that include the broken link you provided there?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  8. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    On Oct 23, 6:44 pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:09:13 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC OwenBot:
    >
    > >http://www.worldofspectru.org/sinclairbasic/

    > > Please report the broken links to Martijn

    > Does that include the broken link you provided there?

    That link was unintentionally broken, sorry.

    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/sinclairbasic/

    I don't think modern keyboard buffers are as good as the old ones.

  9. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    The character set stuff is in fact in the original Spectrum manual in fact.
    The ring bound one.
    In both Speccy's you can edit a line by moving the cursor through it, its
    just that in the 48k interface it was brought down to the lower screen to
    edit and in the 128 you editied it in the listing display.

    Both in fact did the same thing, it was the interface which changed to
    allow long keywords to be typed in full, in my view a backwards step in
    fact.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Some Dude" wrote in message
    > Years ago, when I had a little rubber keyed bundle of wonder, I used to
    > mess around with BASIC.
    >
    > I recently got a copy of Spectaculator for the Windows XP platform
    > (Mandriva gave up on me) and have been using it to come up with a couple
    > of simple little programs.
    >
    > Now.....
    >
    > I am almost certain that when I originally had a Speccy, that there was
    > some way in which I could edit a line within the middle of a program,
    > without having to type the whole line in again. ie with
    >
    > 10 REM wut
    > 20 Let a=5
    > 30 GOTO 20
    >
    > there was a method whereby I could 'select' line 20, and it would pop up
    > at the bottom of the screen, and I could amend it, without needing to type
    > the whole thing in again. I've had a look through a couple of BASIC books
    > by a chap called Steve Vickers, but to no avail.
    >
    > (I did also used to have a +2, so I'm not sure if I'm confusing this with
    > something from the 128K editor)
    >
    > Also;
    >
    > I'm sure there used to be a way in which it was possible to create a
    > custom character using the DATA statement. My memory is a bit hazy, but it
    > went something along the lines of creating a grid, 8x8, and converting the
    > binary representation into decimal, as a series of 8 numbers in a DATA
    > staement. I think it may be linked to the CHR$ command, but again, this
    > was about 25 years ago.
    >
    > Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction?

  10. Re: Can this be done in 48K BASIC or am I imagining the whole thing?

    If you're going to have a tokenizer, which saves you from having to
    remember all those key combinations, then it helps if it also accepts
    abbreviations, as per the GW03 ROM.

    On Oct 24, 8:22*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > The character set stuff is in fact in the original Spectrum manual in fact.
    > The ring bound one.
    > In both Speccy's you can edit a line by moving the cursor through it, its
    > just that in the 48k interface it was brought down to the lower screen to
    > edit and in the 128 you editied it in the *listing display.
    >
    > Both in fact *did the same thing, it was the interface which changed to
    > allow long keywords to be typed in full, in my view a backwards step in
    > fact.
    >
    > Brian

+ Reply to Thread