JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript - Sinclair

This is a discussion on JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript - Sinclair ; http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5f2242fbd10bf9 "And rather excellently you can play any of the 9500 games available online, instantly, using a javascript emulator." - .net magazine, June 2002 "Perhaps somebody should inform them of the difference between Java and Javascript? :-) (Unless somebody *has* ...

  1. JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....5f2242fbd10bf9
    "And rather excellently you can play any of the 9500 games available
    online, instantly, using a javascript emulator."
    - .net magazine, June 2002

    "Perhaps somebody should inform them of the difference between Java and
    Javascript? :-) (Unless somebody *has* written an emulator in
    Javascript, in which case I'll rend the author in the gobberwarts with
    my blurglecruncheon. Or something.)"
    - Darren Salt

    "I'd be *very* impressed with a Speccy emu written in javascript :P "
    - /|ndy |
    "Hmm, Javascript emulator... that would be interesting :-)"
    - Andrew Barker

    I'm only six years too late then.

    http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/jsspeccy/

  2. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    Matthew Westcott wrote in comp.sys.sinclair:

    > I'm only six years too late then.
    >
    > http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/jsspeccy/

    Does it work with IE7?

  3. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    Matt Wilson wrote:
    > Matthew Westcott wrote in comp.sys.sinclair:
    >
    >> I'm only six years too late then.
    >>
    >> http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/jsspeccy/

    > Does it work with IE7?

    Apparently not... I threw in the IE compatibility script that Google
    came up with , but I didn't test it at
    all, and I've had reports that it isn't working. I might look into it at
    some point. Or I might not :-)

  4. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    Matthew Westcott wrote:
    > Matt Wilson wrote:
    >> Matthew Westcott wrote in comp.sys.sinclair:
    >>
    >>> I'm only six years too late then.
    >>>
    >>> http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/jsspeccy/

    >> Does it work with IE7?

    > Apparently not... I threw in the IE compatibility script that Google
    > came up with , but I didn't test it at
    > all, and I've had reports that it isn't working. I might look into it at
    > some point. Or I might not :-)

    not worth the trouble.
    Turn about's fair play, an all that.
    All those websites that only worked in IE over the years, and wotnot.

    Besides, you could just add to the page "If this doesn't work in IE, firefox
    is "
    | in |good to you so far... |

  5. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    The problem with IE7 may be down to its use of Jscript in place of
    real JavaScript. Jscript is the broken MS interpretation of
    JavaScript. The error should say: "Your browser is not JavaScript
    compatible, please replace it with a JavaScript compatile browser."

  6. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    "OwenBot" wrote ...

    > The problem with IE7 may be down to its use of Jscript in place of
    > real JavaScript. Jscript is the broken MS interpretation of
    > JavaScript. The error should say: "Your browser is not JavaScript
    > compatible, please replace it with a JavaScript compatile browser."

    Some time has passed since then, so I may not remember correctly... but I
    think I had to go to the Sun website and download the Sun Java Console
    plug-in for IE and install it.

    And for those who have the Sun Java Console installed, it might be disabled.
    On one of the menus in IE is a selection that allows one to manage add ons.
    Individual add ons that are installed can be enabled or disabled as desired
    (or re-enabled if they have been disabled).

    Some anti-virus programs like to disable Java support in IE as it is a
    possible entry point for the bad guys. If you allow your anti-virus program
    to disable the Sun Java add on, you will have to go in and re-enable it if
    you wish to do anything useful with Java. :-)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    If you don't pay your exorcist,
    will you become repossessed?

  7. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    Sam Gillett wrote:
    > Some anti-virus programs like to disable Java support in IE as it is a
    > possible entry point for the bad guys. If you allow your anti-virus program
    > to disable the Sun Java add on, you will have to go in and re-enable it if
    > you wish to do anything useful with Java. :-)

    Javascript is not java. Totally unrelated languages.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  8. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    On Oct 24, 5:59*am, "Sam Gillett"
    wrote:
    > "OwenBot" wrote ...
    >
    > > The problem with IE7 may be down to its use of Jscript in place of
    > > real JavaScript. Jscript is the broken MS interpretation of
    > > JavaScript. The error should say: "Your browser is not JavaScript
    > > compatible, please replace it with a JavaScript compatile browser."

    > Some time has passed since then, so I may not remember correctly... but I
    > think I had to go to the Sun website and download the Sun Java Console
    > plug-in for IE and install it.
    >
    > And for those who have the Sun Java Console installed, it might be disabled.
    > On one of the menus in IE is a selection that allows one to manage add ons.
    > Individual add ons that are installed can be enabled or disabled as desired
    > (or re-enabled if they have been disabled).
    >
    > Some anti-virus programs like to disable Java support in IE as it is a
    > possible entry point for the bad guys. *If you allow your anti-virus program
    > to disable the Sun Java add on, you will have to go in and re-enable it if
    > you wish to do anything useful with Java. * *:-)
    > --
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Sam Gillett
    >
    > If you don't pay your exorcist,
    > will you become repossessed?

    Isn't that Java rather than JavaScript though? I might be mistaken
    though -- I try to avoid IE.

  9. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    OwenBot wrote:
    > The problem with IE7 may be down to its use of Jscript in place of
    > real JavaScript. Jscript is the broken MS interpretation of
    > JavaScript. The error should say: "Your browser is not JavaScript
    > compatible, please replace it with a JavaScript compatile browser."

    In my experience most compatibility problems are not with the language
    itself, but the interface it uses to hook up to browser / HTML features,
    and there's precious little of that in JSSpec. There are a few irritants
    though (like not allowing trailing commas in arrays, and treating
    'class' as a reserved word even though the single most prominent
    defining feature of Javascript is the way it *avoids using classes*) -
    so having not looked into this bug at all, I'm probably jumping the gun
    to assume that it's somewhere in the
    phenomenally-hacky-but-presumably-well-tested Google canvas code...

  10. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    On Oct 24, 9:35*am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Sam Gillett wrote:
    > > Some anti-virus programs like to disable Java support in IE as it is a
    > > possible entry point for the bad guys. *If you allow your anti-virus program
    > > to disable the Sun Java add on, you will have to go in and re-enable itif
    > > you wish to do anything useful with Java. * *:-)

    > Javascript is not java. Totally unrelated languages.

    Not totally unrelated, but sufficiently unrelated that JavaScript
    should have been called something else, although not its other name
    which is so forgettable that I've forgotten it again.

  11. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    "Chris Young" wrote:

    > > > Javascript is not java. Totally unrelated languages.

    > > Not totally unrelated, but sufficiently unrelated that JavaScript should
    > > have been called something else, although not its other name which is so
    > > forgettable that I've forgotten it again.

    > ECMAScript? Or is that something else?

    ECMAScript is the European standardised version. The original proposed name
    for JavaScript was, IIRC, "LiveScript".

    Eq.

  12. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    Matthew Westcott wrote:
    > I'm only six years too late then.
    >
    > http://matt.west.co.tt/spectrum/jsspeccy/

    That is insanely brilliant.

  13. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:05:59 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC OwenBot:

    > > Javascript is not java. Totally unrelated languages.

    > Not totally unrelated, but sufficiently unrelated that JavaScript
    > should have been called something else, although not its other name
    > which is so forgettable that I've forgotten it again.

    ECMAScript? Or is that something else?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  14. Re: JSSpeccy: A Speccy emulator in Javascript

    Tu, "Paul E Collins" hai scritto questo
    in data Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:39:01 UTC:

    > > > Not totally unrelated, but sufficiently unrelated that JavaScript should
    > > > have been called something else, although not its other name which is so
    > > > forgettable that I've forgotten it again.

    > > ECMAScript? Or is that something else?

    > ECMAScript is the European standardised version. The original proposed name
    > for JavaScript was, IIRC, "LiveScript".

    What's sure is that Java and JavaScript do not share the JVM. So,
    having Java on a machine doesn't mean you can run a JavaScript app.

    I still have to try this javascript emulator on Firefox under
    eComStation.

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team