Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Re: Old computers quiz

    On 2008-10-16, Chris Young wrote:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7671677.stm
    >
    > I got 9/10!

    Stupid quiz, I got all the questions right about actual interesting
    computers, the only ones I got wrong were identifying the luggable
    IBM, and the twatty niche macintosh. Who gives a **** about those
    two? "What kind of wonderful luvverly so friendly it needs millions
    of keyboard shortcuts and extensions to make it usable mac is this?"
    Who cares media luvvy.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  2. Old computers quiz

    I got 9/10!

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  3. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:17:57 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-10-16, Chris Young wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7671677.stm
    >>
    >> I got 9/10!

    > Stupid quiz, I got all the questions right about actual interesting
    > computers, the only ones I got wrong were identifying the luggable
    > IBM, and the twatty niche macintosh.

    ha ha! I screwed up the ones about the toys*, but got the others.

    * games consoles are what the kiddies call them, I think.

    ;-)

  4. Re: Old computers quiz

    Although I never owned a console I got 10/10. I guessed the luggable
    one though.

  5. Re: Old computers quiz

    On 2008-10-17, OwenBot wrote:

    > Although I never owned a console I got 10/10. I guessed the luggable
    > one though.

    So did I, just the wrong way! Guessed the obligatory mac question
    too, wondered why there was a picture of an Archimedes but no
    question, I'd have cleaned up on that one ;-)

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  6. Re: Old computers quiz

    Well obviously I cannot see the pictures, but I'd disagree about the
    influences of some of the named machines actually.

    I won't go into details here though.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Chris Young" wrote in message
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7671677.stm
    >
    > I got 9/10!
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > --
    > | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    > | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    > | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    > +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

  7. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Oct 16, 11:17*pm, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-10-16, Chris Young wrote:
    >
    > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7671677.stm

    > > I got 9/10!

    > Stupid quiz, I got all the questions right about actual interesting
    > computers, the only ones I got wrong were identifying the luggable
    > IBM, and the twatty niche macintosh. *Who gives a **** about those
    > two? *"What kind of wonderful luvverly so friendly it needs millions
    > of keyboard shortcuts and extensions to make it usable mac is this?"
    > Who cares media luvvy.
    >
    > --
    > Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69http...s/tarcus/sets/

    Same here. 8 out of 10 and got the IBM/Mac questions wrong.

  8. Re: Old computers quiz

    On 2008-10-17, khards wrote:

    > Same here. 8 out of 10 and got the IBM/Mac questions wrong.

    Wear that badge with pride, I know I do ;-)

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  9. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:48:26 +0100, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2008-10-17, khards wrote:
    >
    >> Same here. 8 out of 10 and got the IBM/Mac questions wrong.

    > Wear that badge with pride, I know I do ;-)

    I don't know, the IBM luggable wasn't so bad - it packed a reasonable
    feature set into the same kind of size/weight package as other luggables
    of the time.

    There was absolutely no excuse for the abortion that was the desktop 5150
    PC (and every 'IBM compatible' PC that's come since) though.

    I got the Mac one wrong, though - my Apple knowledge stops at the LC days.

    p.s. The "original Spectrum" image in the quiz doesn't load for me
    - did they get the picture right? IIRC the early 16KB machines had
    different colour keys to later speccys, didn't they?

    cheers

    Jules

  10. Re: Old computers quiz

    On 2008-10-17, Jules wrote:

    > I got the Mac one wrong, though - my Apple knowledge stops at the LC days.

    Mind you, I was one of the first people in the UK to get my hands on
    the first portable macintosh, a chap I knew at the time stole it from
    a warehouse (where he got most of the stuff in his flat), it was
    excellent for the time. The screen was very sharp, but monochrome,
    proper monochrome, only black and white, no greys, but that wasn't
    unusual for macs in those days anyway.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  11. Re: Old computers quiz

    Chris Young wrote:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7671677.stm
    >
    > I got 9/10!

    Grr. 8/10. I had no idea IBM had done a "portable" (a one-off for Geoff
    Capes, by the look of it), and all Macs look the same to me.

    (Yes, yes, all right; not quite *all*: there was the boxy one, one that
    looked almost like a real computer, one that looked like a portable
    telly, and a flat one. Oh, and a laptop. Who cares what they were called?)

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  12. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Oct 17, 3:48*pm, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, khards wrote:
    >
    > > Same here. 8 out of 10 and got the IBM/Mac questions wrong.

    > Wear that badge with pride, I know I do ;-)

    I got the same two questions wrong. The mad thing is I owned a Compaq
    luggable (a 368 one with a cool amber screen) at one point. Never
    owned a Mac that wasn't a laptop though.

    sparkes

  13. Re: Old computers quiz

    Tu, "Chris Young" hai scritto questo in
    data Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:50:46 UTC:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7671677.stm
    >
    > I got 9/10!
    >
    > Chris

    Super Mario also for me... I got wrong only on the last.

    Needless to say, I put my right hand on my heart and got straight up
    as soon as I saw the ZX80 keyboard.

    Mentore, who's thinking about wiring a Pro-keyboard or building up the
    "clicky" version for his Spectrum (you know, the original container is
    a myth)

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  14. Re: Old computers quiz

    Ken wrote:
    > Another quiz..
    >
    > Complete the following terms
    >
    > Chucky Egg______
    > Jet pac
    > Manic miner____
    > 3D Monster Maze
    > Highway Encounter
    > Ant > Jet Set Willy_________
    >
    > Which computer may have had a '****roach' in it.

    Issue 1 speccy, fixed a ULA bug.

    > Which computer was the trs80 colour computer pretty much identical to (apart
    > from cosmetically)

    Dragon 32

    > Fill in the blank
    >
    > Kempston joystick or mouse interface
    > Sinclair interface 2
    >
    > What was blu-tak commonly used for on early sinclair computers?

    Rampack wobble inhibitor

    > Which was better, the commodore 64 or the Sinclair spectrum.

    If you need to ask, you're not a real specchum.

    > What computer did acorn make before the BBC computer?

    The atom
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: Old computers quiz

    "Ken" wrote:

    > Complete the following terms
    > Chucky _________

    "Chuckie". Tsk, tsk!

    Eq.

  16. Re: Old computers quiz

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    >>
    >> What was blu-tak commonly used for on early sinclair computers?

    > Rampack wobble inhibitor

    Trick question

    real men soldered their rampacks on
    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  17. Re: Old computers quiz

    Tu, Andrew Halliwell hai scritto questo in
    data Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:33:25 UTC:

    > Ken wrote:
    > > Another quiz..
    > >
    > > Complete the following terms
    > >
    > > Chucky Egg______
    > > Jet pac
    > > Manic miner____
    > > 3D Monster Maze
    > > Highway Encounter
    > > Ant > > Jet Set Willy_________

    Didn't remember 3D Monster Maze. Gotcha.

    > > Which computer may have had a '****roach' in it.

    > Issue 1 speccy, fixed a ULA bug.

    I remembered it as the "dead beetle". Referee, I need a second chance!
    :-)

    > > Which computer was the trs80 colour computer pretty much identical to (apart
    > > from cosmetically)

    > Dragon 32

    Didn't remember, but yes, it was.

    > > Fill in the blank
    > >
    > > Kempston joystick or mouse interface
    > > Sinclair interface 2

    2 of 2

    > > What was blu-tak commonly used for on early sinclair computers?

    > Rampack wobble inhibitor

    What?!? Ah yes... ZX80 / 81, right?

    > > Which was better, the commodore 64 or the Sinclair spectrum.

    > If you need to ask, you're not a real specchum.

    If I were to be a little more objective, I'd say "no match" because
    they were two different machines... But hey, I'm a specchum, so I
    definitely go for my beloved ZX :-)

    > > What computer did acorn make before the BBC computer?

    > The atom

    Oh yes, it's completely right ;-)
    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  18. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Oct 17, 6:36*pm, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, Jules wrote:
    >
    > > I got the Mac one wrong, though - my Apple knowledge stops at the LC days.

    > Mind you, I was one of the first people in the UK to get my hands on
    > the first portable macintosh, a chap I knew at the time stole it from
    > a warehouse (where he got most of the stuff in his flat), it was
    > excellent for the time. *The screen was very sharp, but monochrome,
    > proper monochrome, only black and white, no greys, but that wasn't
    > unusual for macs in those days anyway.

    Glossing over your admission to the crime of receiving stolen goods,
    I'm amazed anyone would even try and steal the first portable Mac.
    That thing weight 7Kg and was pretty bulky too.

  19. Re: Old computers quiz

    Mentore Siesto wrote:
    > Tu, Andrew Halliwell hai scritto questo in
    > data Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:33:25 UTC:
    >
    >> Ken wrote:
    >> > Another quiz..
    >> >
    >> > Complete the following terms
    >> >
    >> > Chucky Egg______
    >> > Jet pac
    >> > Manic miner____
    >> > 3D Monster Maze
    >> > Highway Encounter
    >> > Ant >> > Jet Set Willy_________

    > Didn't remember 3D Monster Maze. Gotcha.

    How could you forget that?! Still scares the willies out of me when the
    T-Rex catches you. "horror" video games like splatterhouse? Pah, not a patch
    on that.

    >> > What was blu-tak commonly used for on early sinclair computers?

    >> Rampack wobble inhibitor

    > What?!? Ah yes... ZX80 / 81, right?

    Yep.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  20. Re: Old computers quiz

    "Andrew Halliwell" wrote:

    > How could you forget that?! Still scares the willies out of me when the
    > T-Rex catches you. "horror" video games like splatterhouse? Pah, not a
    > patch on that.

    "Zombie Zombie" is quite pant-wetting the first time you play it, as you
    don't know that the zombies will suddenly *run* at you when you get within
    chomping distance. (Unless that was in the instructions, which... er... my
    dog ate.)

    Eq.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast