Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Old computers quiz

    On 2008-10-19, OwenBot wrote:

    > Glossing over your admission to the crime of receiving stolen goods,
    > I'm amazed anyone would even try and steal the first portable Mac.
    > That thing weight 7Kg and was pretty bulky too.

    He used to take stuff home on his moped, quite a heavy load! It
    wasn't for me either, I only played with it, having no use at all for
    a mac at the time, or indeed ever (other than to run linux on). It
    was however a very good laptop for its time, with excellent battery
    life (due to heavy lead-acid cell) and far better screen than its
    contemporaries due to it being monochrome, it was quick, sharp and
    didn't fade into a blur if the text scrolled on screen. For 1989 that
    was pretty good and it did impress. Sadly it was still a mac!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  2. Re: Old computers quiz

    Tu, Andrew Halliwell hai scritto questo in
    data Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:11:04 UTC:

    > Mentore Siesto wrote:
    > > Tu, Andrew Halliwell hai scritto questo in
    > > data Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:33:25 UTC:

    > > Didn't remember 3D Monster Maze. Gotcha.

    > How could you forget that?! Still scares the willies out of me when the
    > T-Rex catches you. "horror" video games like splatterhouse? Pah, not a patch
    > on that.

    What can I say? I live in Italy... At those times, "original software"
    was a dream (an exensive dream, I must say) :-(

    > >> Rampack wobble inhibitor

    > > What?!? Ah yes... ZX80 / 81, right?

    > Yep.

    BTW, I just took my little ZX Spectrum out of its case, and I think I
    will open up its keyboard and make a "clicky" version. Still, I'm
    thinking about a new membrane... Will see some other possibilities,
    like a new keyboard membrane + a keyboard interface: Sinclair style
    and professional keyboard usefulness all together :-)

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  3. Re: Old computers quiz

    Since they've already been answered there doesn't seem much point, except...

    Ken wrote:

    > Kempston _________ interface

    Printer. I had one. :-P

    > What computer did acorn make before the BBC computer?

    Since this can be interpreted as "immediately before", I won't get all
    trainspottery and point out that they made Systems 1-5 before the Atom.

    Except I just did. Damn. I'll never be one of the cool kids. (I'll say.
    You're well on your way to 40. -Ed.)

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  4. Re: Old computers quiz

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > It was however a very good laptop for its time, with excellent battery
    > life (due to heavy lead-acid cell) and far better screen than its
    > contemporaries due to it being monochrome, it was quick, sharp and
    > didn't fade into a blur if the text scrolled on screen. For 1989 that
    > was pretty good and it did impress. Sadly it was still a mac!

    So, virtually all the features that made it a Mac rather than some other
    flavour of computer were impressive, but "sadly it was still a Mac"...? Hmm.

  5. Re: Old computers quiz

    On 2008-10-19, Calum wrote:

    > So, virtually all the features that made it a Mac rather than some other
    > flavour of computer were impressive, but "sadly it was still a Mac"...? Hmm.

    Er, I fail to see how a sharp, quick screen and excellent battery life
    are what made it a mac! Just exactly what was it that was
    mac-specific that I praised? Or do I smell a mac freak?

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  6. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:25:49 +0100, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > Since they've already been answered there doesn't seem much point, except...
    >
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >> Kempston _________ interface

    > Printer. I had one. :-P
    >
    >> What computer did acorn make before the BBC computer?

    > Since this can be interpreted as "immediately before", I won't get all
    > trainspottery and point out that they made Systems 1-5 before the Atom.

    Hah, I almost went there, too :-) I suppose "the prototype BBC computer"
    qualifies as an answer too, given that it was a complete lash-up and
    nothing like the familiar product...

  7. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:27:09 +0100, Paul E Collins wrote:

    > (Unless that was in the instructions, which... er... my dog ate.)

    .... shortly before he cloned an original tape for backup purposes?

  8. Re: Old computers quiz

    Mentore Siesto wrote:

    > If I were to be a little more objective, I'd say "no match" because
    > they were two different machines... But hey, I'm a specchum, so I
    > definitely go for my beloved ZX :-)

    Hi!

    I would advice to step up to an ATARI 400/800 or XL/XE series, at
    least. By the way, the 800 ATARI was playing a role in a movie.... Do
    you know worth mentioning movies with a C64!? I have never seen....

    Then you can reach the same goal in Video [smooth] and Audio). Except
    that you have a faster CPU, a better Video, and something that you Can
    (may) call an OS , ...with an Atari.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  9. Re: Old computers quiz

    Tu, "Daniel Mandic" hai scritto questo in data
    Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:03:45 UTC:

    > Mentore Siesto wrote:
    >
    > > If I were to be a little more objective, I'd say "no match" because
    > > they were two different machines... But hey, I'm a specchum, so I
    > > definitely go for my beloved ZX :-)

    > I would advice to step up to an ATARI 400/800 or XL/XE series, at
    > least. By the way, the 800 ATARI was playing a role in a movie.... Do
    > you know worth mentioning movies with a C64!? I have never seen....

    Daniel, I don't remember the ZX Spectrum having a role in movies, but
    it was used by RAI TV for some TV show. Also, the Sinclair QL was used
    in the '85 edition of the Giro d'Italia (the year before, some ZX
    Spectrum were used.) The machines provided statistics, graphical views
    of the course, and some other infos.

    Not bad for those "ugly machines with rubber keys" :-)

    > Then you can reach the same goal in Video [smooth] and Audio). Except
    > that you have a faster CPU, a better Video, and something that you Can
    > (may) call an OS , ...with an Atari.

    For me, I go with ZX Spectrum and Sinclair QL.

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  10. Re: Old computers quiz

    "Daniel Mandic" wrote in message
    news:48fc8fbf$0$26595$91cee783@newsreader01.highwa y.telekom.at...
    > Mentore Siesto wrote:

    .... snip...
    > you know worth mentioning movies with a C64!? I have never seen....

    ....snip

    http://www.starringthecomputer.com/computer.php?c=66

  11. Re: Old computers quiz

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 Mentore Siesto wrote:

    >Daniel, I don't remember the ZX Spectrum having a role in movies,

    Not exactly a 'role', but I'm pretty sure a Sinclair computer of some
    sort was used for some moving map FX in this:

    http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0088083/

    If memory serves (it's about 22 years since I've seen this movie) the
    map graphics were in colour, which suggests either a Spectrum or -- if
    any were in existence as early as 1984 -- an Eastern European clone.

    --
    Kev
    "For NASA, space is still a high priority."

  12. Re: Old computers quiz

    Tu, "Ken" hai scritto questo
    in data Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:24:54 UTC:

    > "Daniel Mandic" wrote in message
    > news:48fc8fbf$0$26595$91cee783@newsreader01.highwa y.telekom.at...
    > > Mentore Siesto wrote:

    > ... snip...
    > > you know worth mentioning movies with a C64!? I have never seen....
    > >

    > ...snip
    >
    > http://www.starringthecomputer.com/computer.php?c=66

    And the winner is...

    http://www.starringthecomputer.com/computer.php?c=44

    If I would be a bad guy (TM), I'd point out that nearly all the
    Commodore 64 "used" in the listed movies were shut off, and the only
    one powered up was in a computer fair, not a Commodore computer fair:
    The ZX81 used in that other movie was used to a more complex task :-P

    Just kidding, anyway.

    Mentore

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team

  13. Re: Old computers quiz

    Mentore Siesto wrote:

    > Daniel, I don't remember the ZX Spectrum having a role in movies, but
    > it was used by RAI TV for some TV show. Also, the Sinclair QL was used
    > in the '85 edition of the Giro d'Italia (the year before, some ZX
    > Spectrum were used.) The machines provided statistics, graphical views
    > of the course, and some other infos.

    Servus Mentore Siesto!

    I saw a quiz-show in Slovenia TV, long ago. An ~11y old pupil has shown
    a music demo. Paper and Border changed when a tone was hit by the
    (obviously Basic) program.

    > For me, I go with ZX Spectrum and Sinclair QL.

    Yeah, I am a kind of an ill PC User, talking trash about smoothness and
    video etc., but w/o any modern video game-console :-), which I could
    call mine.

    Only ATARI VCS is here... (ol' heavy sixer)
    [smooth though ;-)]
    By the way. It was my first computer before the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum
    48K came.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  14. Re: Old computers quiz

    Ken wrote:

    > http://www.starringthecomputer.com/computer.php?c=66

    Hi Ken!

    ......The store that Miles buys his computer from also stocks Commodore
    64s

    That is in Electric Dreams. Wonderful film! ....but a C64 is not star
    starring therein.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

+ Reply to Thread