Great Giana Sisters - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Great Giana Sisters - Sinclair ; The following is part of a post by Andreas Kohlbach on another newsgroup. ,----[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Giana_Sisters ] | Due to its strong similarity with Super Mario Bros., Rainbow Arts was | forced to withdraw the game from sale almost as soon ...

  1. Great Giana Sisters

    The following is part of a post by Andreas Kohlbach on another newsgroup.

    ,----[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Giana_Sisters ]
    | Due to its strong similarity with Super Mario Bros., Rainbow Arts was
    | forced to withdraw the game from sale almost as soon as it was
    | released and cancel release of the otherwise completed ZX Spectrum
    | version, under pressure from Nintendo's legal arm. The cover of the
    | C64 version published in the UK by GO!, a sub-label of US Gold went so
    | far as to taunt Nintendo's game with the tagline "The brothers are
    | history."
    `----

    I thought that The Great Giana Sisters game _was_ released for the Spectrum.
    Is this another case of Wikipedia being wrong, or was the Spectrum version
    pirated rather than legitimate?
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Change is inevitable,
    except from vending machines!

  2. Re: Great Giana Sisters

    On Oct 13, 5:05*am, "Sam Gillett"
    wrote:

    > I thought that The Great Giana Sisters game _was_ released for the Spectrum.
    > Is this another case of Wikipedia being wrong, or was the Spectrum version
    > pirated rather than legitimate?

    It was reviewed in the mags and then pulled Crash and Your Sinclair
    rated it.

    I don't remember seeing the full game on speccy in the shops but I was
    given a demo by a friend who falsely claimed to have it.

    sparkes

  3. Re: Great Giana Sisters

    Dunno, but I am sure I recall seeing it, though I think it was withdrawn
    later on.

    I cannot recall ever playing either myself.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Sam Gillett" wrote in message
    > The following is part of a post by Andreas Kohlbach on another newsgroup.
    >
    > ,----[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Giana_Sisters ]
    > | Due to its strong similarity with Super Mario Bros., Rainbow Arts was
    > | forced to withdraw the game from sale almost as soon as it was
    > | released and cancel release of the otherwise completed ZX Spectrum
    > | version, under pressure from Nintendo's legal arm. The cover of the
    > | C64 version published in the UK by GO!, a sub-label of US Gold went
    > so
    > | far as to taunt Nintendo's game with the tagline "The brothers are
    > | history."
    > `----
    >
    > I thought that The Great Giana Sisters game _was_ released for the
    > Spectrum. Is this another case of Wikipedia being wrong, or was the
    > Spectrum version pirated rather than legitimate?
    > --
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Sam Gillett
    >
    > Change is inevitable,
    > except from vending machines!

  4. Re: Great Giana Sisters

    Maybe it was a demo I saw then.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "sparkes" wrote in message
    On Oct 13, 5:05 am, "Sam Gillett"
    wrote:

    > I thought that The Great Giana Sisters game _was_ released for the
    > Spectrum.
    > Is this another case of Wikipedia being wrong, or was the Spectrum version
    > pirated rather than legitimate?

    It was reviewed in the mags and then pulled Crash and Your Sinclair
    rated it.

    I don't remember seeing the full game on speccy in the shops but I was
    given a demo by a friend who falsely claimed to have it.

    sparkes

  5. Re: Great Giana Sisters

    As far as anyone knows the game was pulled before the Spectrum version
    hit the shelves. It is believed to have been finished, but there's no
    proof. I believe the copyright issue was that some of the early levels
    were exactly the same as Super Mario Bros, a clear infringement.

  6. Re: Great Giana Sisters

    Sam Gillett wrote:
    > I thought that The Great Giana Sisters game _was_ released for the Spectrum.

    It was released only to magazine reviewers. It got a Crash Smash.
    It never made it to the shops.