Pyskool 0.0.3 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Pyskool 0.0.3 - Sinclair ; Pyskool is now even more slightly less incomplete! Version 0.0.3 has just been released. Head over to the relevant blog post at http://pyskool.wordpress.com/2008/10...bit-of-a-game/ or straight to the downloads page at http://pyskool.wordpress.com/releases/ to get your copy. Should run on any OS ...

  1. Pyskool 0.0.3

    Pyskool is now even more slightly less incomplete! Version 0.0.3 has
    just been released. Head over to the relevant blog post at

    http://pyskool.wordpress.com/2008/10...bit-of-a-game/

    or straight to the downloads page at

    http://pyskool.wordpress.com/releases/

    to get your copy. Should run on any OS for which Python and Pygame are
    available, which includes Linux, Windows and OS X.

    So what is it (yet) again? Well, it's a reimplementation of those
    classic Microsphere games, Skool Daze and Back to Skool, with an
    emphasis on easy moddability/customisability/hackability by editing a
    configuration file. The accompanying documentation describes several
    example customisations (as well as how to get Pyskool up and running).

    In this latest version, there are sound effects and lines-giving and
    almost a little bit of a game: the shields in Skool Daze are now
    gettable by jumping and well-aimed catapulting. Download it today and
    see if you can hit all 15!

  2. Re: Pyskool 0.0.3

    Oh, if anyone is:

    - running Windows and knows anything about py2exe (http://
    www.py2exe.org/) or is willing to learn how to use it, OR
    - is running Mac OS X and knows anything about py2app (http://
    pypi.python.org/pypi/py2app/) or is willing to learn how to use it,
    AND
    - would like to package Pyskool for Windows or OS X as a single
    downloadable binary

    please get in touch!

    I has been brought to my attention that having to install Python and
    Pygame separately in order to run Pyskool may be more than some
    Windows and Mac users can bear, so providing a single package that
    contains everything would be a good idea. Which may well be true.
    Since I don't run Windows or OS X, packaging specifically for those
    operating systems is tricky for me.

    So if you can help, let me know.

    Thanks!

    Richard Dymond

  3. Re: Pyskool 0.0.3

    rjdymond@gmail.com wrote:

    > I has been brought to my attention that having to install Python and
    > Pygame separately in order to run Pyskool may be more than some
    > Windows and Mac users can bear,

    Ooh, the poor dears.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  4. Re: Pyskool 0.0.3

    On Oct 12, 1:14 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > > I has been brought to my attention that having to install Python and
    > > Pygame separately in order to run Pyskool may be more than some
    > > Windows and Mac users can bear,

    > Ooh, the poor dears.

    Quite. However, I've had no response from any Pyskooling Windows or
    Mac users, so perhaps, on the contrary, they love having to install
    Python and Pygame separately. Absolutely love it.

    Shrug
    --
    Richard Dymond

  5. Re: Pyskool 0.0.3

    rjdymond@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 12, 1:14 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    >>> I has been brought to my attention that having to install Python and
    >>> Pygame separately in order to run Pyskool may be more than some
    >>> Windows and Mac users can bear,

    >> Ooh, the poor dears.

    > Quite. However, I've had no response from any Pyskooling Windows or
    > Mac users, so perhaps, on the contrary, they love having to install
    > Python and Pygame separately. Absolutely love it.
    >
    > Shrug

    Well, just so's you know we on CSS aren't ignoring you, I think it's
    coming along brilliantly. Works like a charm here under Arch Linux.
    Haven't found any problems at all so far (mind you, since it's not much
    of a game yet I haven't exactly dug very deeply, but still...).

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: Pyskool 0.0.3

    On Oct 15, 8:28 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > Well, just so's you know we on CSS aren't ignoring you, I think it's
    > coming along brilliantly. Works like a charm here under Arch Linux.
    > Haven't found any problems at all so far (mind you, since it's not much
    > of a game yet I haven't exactly dug very deeply, but still...).

    Thanks for the feedback!

    I'm working on the game aspect right now, actually. In Skool Daze mode
    in the next release (0.0.4), (my plan is that) you'll be able to (a)
    flash all the shields, (b) crack the safe, and then (c) unflash all
    the shields. However, it'll be easier than the original, since I
    haven't implemented lines-giving for every rule-breakage yet, and
    teachers still don't come looking for you if you try to skip class.
    But all in good time...
    --
    Richard Dymond

+ Reply to Thread