Great New Linux Devices - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Great New Linux Devices - Sinclair ; The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of handheld computing The GP2X Wiz is a pure Gaming/Video/MP3 console with hundreds of emulators written for it The other, the Pandora is a UMPC, which can run openoffice/firefox ...

  1. Great New Linux Devices

    The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of handheld
    computing

    The GP2X Wiz is a pure Gaming/Video/MP3 console with hundreds of
    emulators written for it

    The other, the Pandora is a UMPC, which can run openoffice/firefox and
    is the same shape and size as a nintendo DS

    Check the data here on GP2X Wiz:
    http://gp2x.co.uk/go.pl?A216

    Check the data here on Pandora:
    http://openpandora.org/worldmap.html

    Mention you were sent by Raj Takhar and you may get an extra discount

  2. Re: Great New Linux Devices

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 rajtakhar wrote:

    >The GP2X Wiz is a pure Gaming/Video/MP3 console with hundreds of
    >emulators written for it
    >
    >The other, the Pandora is a UMPC, which can run openoffice/firefox and
    >is the same shape and size as a nintendo DS

    The Wiz looks a little too much like every other handheld gaming device,
    most of which have sunk without trace, but the Pandora is cute. It
    reminds me of a miniaturised Toshiba Libretto circa mid 90s, tweaked for
    gaming. For some reason it also reminds me of one of those
    professional-grade portable cassette recorders that were around in the
    early 80s. Perhaps it's the two analogue controllers that look a bit
    like tape spools!

    I couldn't afford a new gadget right now even if I wanted one but I'll
    definitely keep an eye on the Pandora. I do like the idea of being able
    to download Speccy stuff straight from WOS and load it right into an
    emulator on the same tiny device. Right now I'm using a Spectrum
    emulator on a Nintendo DS for my retro gaming needs but it's limited by
    the lack of a keyboard. ATF (one of my favourite games of all time) has
    almost every control mapped to a DS button but I still need to tap the
    virtual keyboard once in a while. The Pandora looks like it could be the
    mutt's nuts for Spectrum emulation.

    --
    Kev
    "Non-agricultural chemical rice."

  3. Re: Great New Linux Devices

    Kevin Reilly wrote:
    > The Pandora looks like it could be the
    > mutt's nuts for Spectrum emulation.

    it has the right name too!

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  4. Re: Great New Linux Devices

    On 2008-10-02, Kevin Reilly wrote:

    > I couldn't afford a new gadget right now even if I wanted one but I'll
    > definitely keep an eye on the Pandora. I do like the idea of being able
    > to download Speccy stuff straight from WOS and load it right into an
    > emulator on the same tiny device.

    I just ordered a Pandora on the company as I can use it for my job,
    which is groovy, I'll see how it goes when it turns up.

    > Right now I'm using a Spectrum
    > emulator on a Nintendo DS for my retro gaming needs but it's limited by
    > the lack of a keyboard. ATF (one of my favourite games of all time) has
    > almost every control mapped to a DS button but I still need to tap the
    > virtual keyboard once in a while. The Pandora looks like it could be the
    > mutt's nuts for Spectrum emulation.

    I reckon the DS is a very close second-best for spectrum emulation,
    the emulator is very good and the second screen with touch-screen
    keyboard makes a great package.

    I'm hoping the PS1 emulation on the pandora works well eventually,
    lots of games available.

    Then again, I've got masses of games already for a whole range of
    machines and don't really play them... Don't know why I bother!

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

  5. Re: Great New Linux Devices

    The DSi is getting a slagging on WoS at the moment, but if ZXDS can be
    used by simply buying an SD card then I'm sold on it. I still have an
    old GBASP for all my GBA/GBC/GB needs.

  6. Re: Great New Linux Devices

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 Ian Rawlings wrote:

    >I just ordered a Pandora on the company as I can use it for my job,
    >which is groovy, I'll see how it goes when it turns up.

    I so nearly ordered one of these last night, spurred on by my inner
    child's pleading that if I don't get one RIGHT NOW it'll be all the way
    into NEXT YEAR before I can lay my mitts on one. But I've spent the last
    couple of months getting the ever-tighter finances in order and to
    splash out two hundred quid on what is essentially a toy would be
    unforgivable.

    Still, next year is fair game so please keep us appraised of what this
    thing can do once it arrives. The Spectrum emulation alone makes it
    almost worth the asking price, but if the developers can get UAE running
    full speed with sound then I'm sold. A BBC Micro emulator would be the
    icing on the cake. The memories of my entire youth and young adulthood
    crammed into a pocket-sized box. Mmm...

    --
    Kev
    "Today's Weather: a depression will mope across Northern areas..."

  7. Re: Great New Linux Devices

    On 2008-10-04, Kevin Reilly wrote:

    > The Spectrum emulation alone makes it almost worth the asking price,
    > but if the developers can get UAE running full speed with sound then
    > I'm sold. A BBC Micro emulator would be the icing on the cake. The
    > memories of my entire youth and young adulthood crammed into a
    > pocket-sized box. Mmm...

    Better than that, look at the mock-ups, the keyboard's almost Spectrum
    16/48K like! I wonder if they'll make a "Pandora +" upgrade available
    with a funky black case and some larger but still odd keys.

    http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/

+ Reply to Thread