Retro-X Alpha 6 released - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Retro-X Alpha 6 released - Sinclair ; Dunny is right! BASin is cool with the new Paintbox functions, but Retro-X (previously called BMP2SCR) is still not dead. Release Alpha 6 is now out and can be downloaded from my website: http://lcd-one.da.ru Bugfixes: * Viewer: o Forgot to ...

  1. Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    Dunny is right! BASin is cool with the new Paintbox functions, but
    Retro-X (previously called BMP2SCR) is still not dead. Release Alpha 6
    is now out and can be downloaded from my website:
    http://lcd-one.da.ru

    Bugfixes:
    * Viewer:
    o Forgot to include the Filter for Atari images pi1-pi3 and neo
    o Directory Tree/Favorites disappear sometime after changing splitter
    size
    * Converter:
    o Amiga Error diffusion crashed at overscan
    o Possible crash if "must include black & white" selected, double
    colours possible.
    o Small improvements in SAM Modes
    o Median Cut colours finder was calculating correct colours only in
    SAM Coupé modes.
    o SAM Mode 3 colour error diffusion-colours calculation repaired,
    Median Cut and random probe works now correctly
    o Random probe could lock up if there is less than desired colours on
    screen (happens often with CPC lowres)
    o Acorn Mode 1 Error diffusion: Red channel was interpeted as green
    (Yes, I'm a daltonist and can't see the ****ing green!)
    o Acorn Mode 4 was sometimes not painted.
    o Acorn 4-Colours modes standard palette corrected.
    o Resolution display in status bar corrected
    o Fast finder: "Original size" and others now sets position to 0,0
    o Fast Finder: "Centre mouse" now clears window events
    o SAM Mode 3+4 Laced Palette for Layer view screen 1 was wrong
    o Amiga 2-16 colour modes after a Amiga EHB conversion causes crash
    o Breaking AVI conversion now rewrites RXA Header, to enter the
    correct frames count.
    o Dialogs like speedTest results does not lock up the program anymore
    * Disc Master:
    o MGT/+D Sector Hex View: Disc side selection was not working
    o Wrong Window was sticky and reading benozd files end in binary
    comparsion.
    o Binary comparsion: memory leak fixed
    * Various:
    o Hires Modes pictures copied to clipboard had bad aspect ratio
    * Painter:
    o If Cursor outside window, circles, ellipses, etc. became
    permanently [Paul Dunn].

    Changes:
    * Converter:
    o Speed of conversion SAM Mode4 Monochrome Bitone improved a little bit
    o Grey ordered dither routines (SAM Mode 4, C64, etc...) improved,
    better quality in LowRes
    o MSX Screen 2 MSX 1 Grey Palette changed to blueish.
    o Various tweaks in some Error diffusion conversions to save a lot of
    memory
    o Amiga Lowres Colour and EHB Error diffusion quality improved, was
    not good on low layer count.
    o Optimisations in Fast finder for less memory use.
    o All converter code rewritten from DirectDraw to poked image, which
    should work faster on worser Windows
    o Small Bug repaired in FastFinder (Hires only)
    o MenuItem "Reinit Display" removed because it is not needed anymore
    as poked Image is not affected by other programs surfaces.
    o Converter window is now resizable
    o Conversion Benchmark/Speedtest time measure with higher precision
    o Speed test: drawing on Sprite overlay removed too
    * Various:
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for SAM Mode 2: 8%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for SAM Mode 4/ATM
    Turbo ColPerPix/Atari ST Lowres: 21%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for MSX Screen 8: 4%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for Timex Hires: 4.5%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for Sprinter: 7%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for Acorn mode 2: 7%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for Multitech: 3%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for CPC Mode 0: 5%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for CPC Mode 1: 8%
    o Redraw Speed for poked image screens improved for QL Lowres: 11%
    o TFT Autoadjust helper changed from DirectDraw to Window output (so
    much slower, but who cares?)
    o Objects code removed temporary to rewrite them for use with new
    painter code
    * Painter:
    o Replaced all Screen (DirectDraw) code with GDI and Poked Image. Not
    fully tested yet. Not fully finished, so Spectrum mode only works.
    o Mask, Grid and some other stuff removed for the moment (The options
    stay there)
    o Merged Painter Studio code with Painter. MDI Window scrapped.
    Realtime updating keept.
    o New, faster Fill routine
    o various optimisations to save memory
    o Improved brush drawing preview
    o Rays tool improved to work better. You must now set Screen center
    first (Menu).
    o Symmetric "Use Mirroring" re-enabled and use now the screen centre
    which can be set from menu
    o Continuous Line routine completly recoded and improved.
    * Disc Master:
    o Shred progress info window became sticky
    o Hex Monitor changed from Screenplot to pokedimage
    o Disc Hex Monitor now also on Poked image
    o Binary comparsion of files uses now Image, no DX Overlay
    o Data Ripper: Recoded from DirectDraw to Poked image. Finishing
    this, no Direct Draw code library is needed anymore.
    o Data Ripper: 4 cols GB Tiles grab removed temporary
    o Data Ripper: Changing some techniques for speedup of redraw, now
    even faster than with Direct Draw.
    * Viewer:
    o RXA playback changed from DirectDraw to poked image, this will
    increase the speed on worser Windows (At moment: Vista)
    o Loading time measured at higher accuracy

    Additions:
    * Converter:
    o Sinclair QL Lowres laced error diffusion
    o MSX Screen 7 MSX2 Greyscale Flexipalette Solid, Midtone, ordered
    dither and error diffusion
    o MSX Screen 7 MSX2 Flexpalette Modes: Solid, Midtone, Ordered dither
    and Error diffusion
    o MSX Screen 5 MSX2 Greypalette Flexipalette Solid, Midtone, ordered
    dither and error diffusion
    o MSX Screen 3 MSX2 Greypalette Flexipalette solid and MSX2
    Colour-Palette
    o MSX Screen 2 MSX2 Greypalette Flexipalette Solid, Midtone, ordered
    dither and error diffusion
    o MSX Screen 2 MSX2 Flexpalette Modes: Solid, Midtone, Ordered dither
    and Error diffusion
    o Menu: Twain -> "Select source" and "Acquire" for grabbing images
    from Twain scanner or Twain Webcam (clipboard is used)
    o MSX Screen 2 Lowres: MSX1 Colour, MSX2 Colour, MSX2 Grey levels
    o Acorn Electron Mode 5: 8x8 clusters added to the Matrixes
    o MSX Screen 6 MSX2 Palette Colour modes (Solid, Midtone, Ordered
    dither).
    o Acorn Electron Modes Quick save as *.as? memory dump added and
    tested because Beeb imports now binary PC files!!!
    o SAM Mode 3+4 laced: Area selection added
    o Amstrad CPC Overscan included, with quicksave as *.SCA. Based on
    format published in 1989 by Rubi Douile [Thx to Roland Rzasa,
    http://www.cpcarea.pl/]
    * Viewer:
    o Reading more Atari XL/XE MIC Formats (160x240 and with no palette
    at 160x192)
    o Loading Acorn Electron images in formats as0, as1, as2, as4 and as5
    * Painter:
    o 25 new filling textures
    o Ellipse now less regular shape but can be rotated. No Filled shape
    anymore.
    o Keys "I" and "P" for grabing actual colours under the cursor to ink
    or paper
    o Frame selection now on (Poked image) overlay, with colour cycling
    animation as seen in some more professionall programs like BasIn
    o Flashing now available in Painter (Pauses if you are using a tool)
    * Various:
    o Palette Editor: 24 Bit fixed Palettes: Atari XL/XE Palette
    o Acorn images formats assignation to Retro-X
    * Disc Master:
    o Data Seeker in Hex view mode can now be scrolled using mouse.

  2. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    I'm getting crashes when setting the RGB levels for Timex ordered
    dither under XP. Other than that, very impressive.

  3. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    OwenBot schrieb:
    > I'm getting crashes when setting the RGB levels for Timex ordered
    > dither under XP. Other than that, very impressive.

    Hi Andrew!
    Thank you, just tested it with the debugger.
    Please confirm: was it following settings?:
    GreyTV Timex ordered dither, Previosly set in a differet mode a 65
    levels matrix?
    If that is it, it is simple, because I forgot to set the 65 levels
    matrix back to 17 levels.
    Will fix this in the next version, but until it is out, please set the
    orderet dither matrix levels to 17 before you change into grey TV mode.
    The reason why it is not possible to use 65 Levels with 8 grey levels is
    that the table is designed to hold only 256 table slots, and 65 levels
    matrix with 8 Grey levels gives 520 needed table slots. Even a 6x6
    matrix (37 levels) would need 296 slots.

    LCD

  4. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    OwenBot schrieb:
    > I'm getting crashes when setting the RGB levels for Timex ordered
    > dither under XP. Other than that, very impressive.

    P.S. In Colour ordered dither it is all right, debugger shows no problem
    under WinXP SP3. So colour ordered dither mode works here correctly.

    LCD

  5. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    On Sep 26, 10:57*am, LCD wrote:
    > OwenBot schrieb:> I'm getting crashes when setting the RGB levels for Timex ordered
    > > dither under XP. Other than that, very impressive.

    > P.S. In Colour ordered dither it is all right, debugger shows no problem
    > under WinXP SP3. So colour ordered dither mode works here correctly.
    >
    > LCD

    It wasn't GreyTV. Must have been one of the other modes.

  6. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    OwenBot schrieb:
    > On Sep 26, 10:57 am, LCD wrote:
    >> OwenBot schrieb:> I'm getting crashes when setting the RGB levels for Timex ordered
    >>> dither under XP. Other than that, very impressive.

    >> P.S. In Colour ordered dither it is all right, debugger shows no problem
    >> under WinXP SP3. So colour ordered dither mode works here correctly.
    >>
    >> LCD

    > It wasn't GreyTV. Must have been one of the other modes.

    If you start the program, without using any other mode (except the
    spectrum one used as inital mode) and change to the crashing mode, does
    it crash, or is there any other mode you used before?
    I was able to reproduce a crash (division by zero) if both trackbars of
    one channel got the same value, not just if you change one of the RGB
    Trackbars.
    Anyway, this bug is fixed too, for the next release.

    LCD

  7. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    > If you start the program, without using any other mode (except the
    > spectrum one used as inital mode) and change to the crashing mode, does
    > it crash, or is there any other mode you used before?
    > I was able to reproduce a crash (division by zero) if both trackbars of
    > one channel got the same value, not just if you change one of the RGB
    > Trackbars.
    > Anyway, this bug is fixed too, for the next release.

    I think that was probably the bug in question. I'll try again with the
    next release. Also I don't seem to be able to save a Timex format
    screen as .SCR, only as .MLT.

  8. Re: Retro-X Alpha 6 released

    OwenBot schrieb:
    >> If you start the program, without using any other mode (except the
    >> spectrum one used as inital mode) and change to the crashing mode, does
    >> it crash, or is there any other mode you used before?
    >> I was able to reproduce a crash (division by zero) if both trackbars of
    >> one channel got the same value, not just if you change one of the RGB
    >> Trackbars.
    >> Anyway, this bug is fixed too, for the next release.

    > I think that was probably the bug in question. I'll try again with the
    > next release. Also I don't seem to be able to save a Timex format
    > screen as .SCR, only as .MLT.

    Okay, there will be more bug fixes in the next release, so I found a bug
    which caused worse quality in SAM Mode 4 HQ Solid mode.
    About screen saving: have you tried the format settings in Save As...
    Dialog? You can set there the Timex screen order. It will be still saved
    with MLT extension, but then you can rename it to SCR. The viewer by the
    way recognises all three available MLT encoding schemes with AI (Because
    there is no other way to do it) and display then correctly.

    Greetings

    LCD

+ Reply to Thread