ANN: ColorPRINT beta - Sinclair

This is a discussion on ANN: ColorPRINT beta - Sinclair ; I've submitted the preliminary version of my multi-colour UDG utility for the Timex TC2048 to this year's crap games compo. I expect it will get uploaded at some point today. What it does is to give you 256 fully definable ...

  1. ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    I've submitted the preliminary version of my multi-colour UDG utility
    for the Timex TC2048 to this year's crap games compo. I expect it will
    get uploaded at some point today. What it does is to give you 256
    fully definable UDGs. As well as the bitmap, you can set the colour
    attributes for each byte, so each UDG can contain up to 16 colours (if
    you have bright black available).

  2. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    OwenBot wrote:
    > I've submitted the preliminary version of my multi-colour UDG utility
    > for the Timex TC2048 to this year's crap games compo. I expect it will
    > get uploaded at some point today. What it does is to give you 256
    > fully definable UDGs. As well as the bitmap, you can set the colour
    > attributes for each byte, so each UDG can contain up to 16 colours (if
    > you have bright black available).

    You submitted THAT to the CGC?
    Why?
    1: It doesn't sound crap
    2: It's not a game
    so
    3: It'll be disqualified...

    If you want to start a good utilities compo...
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  3. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    It's part of my cunning plan to make sure every Spectrum user has a
    copy.

    I've just finished the full version 1.0 release. This one adds support
    for the Spectrum SE. Now you can use Mode-2 colour in 128 BASIC. Maybe
    this is the SE killer app? After all, who can say no to multi-colour
    UDG goodness? I don't know when it will get uploaded to the site but
    if anyone wants to try it I can email them a copy. It comes with the
    source and a sample 256 character font.

  4. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    OwenBot wrote:
    > It's part of my cunning plan to make sure every Spectrum user has a
    > copy.
    >
    > I've just finished the full version 1.0 release. This one adds support
    > for the Spectrum SE. Now you can use Mode-2 colour in 128 BASIC. Maybe
    > this is the SE killer app? After all, who can say no to multi-colour
    > UDG goodness? I don't know when it will get uploaded to the site but
    > if anyone wants to try it I can email them a copy. It comes with the
    > source and a sample 256 character font.

    Why not just submit it to WOS's utilities section?
    That'd be more reliable and accessable than the CGC.

  5. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    > Why not just submit it to WOS's utilities section?
    > That'd be more reliable and accessable than the CGC.

    How? There's no obvious process beyond uploading it to the FTP area
    and it can take Martijn months to sort through all that stuff. I'm
    quite happy to do that eventually, but I'd like to tweak it a bit
    first.

  6. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    Anyhoo, you can download it here:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?yxwxi3zmeyx

  7. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    On Sep 20, 9:28*am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > You submitted THAT to the CGC?
    > Why?
    > 1: It doesn't sound crap
    > 2: It's not a game
    > so
    > 3: It'll be disqualified...
    >
    > If you want to start a good utilities compo...
    > --

    I've let this one into the compo as admittedly I let the "non-game"
    rot set in after accepting "Virtual ZX Spectrum" by James Smith. (The
    real ZX Spectrum emulator for the ZX Spectrum). I was glad to accept
    it though as it is such a "clever" yet bizzare entry. Subsequently, it
    became a bit of a "real emulator"/"fake emulator"/"any utility you
    like" free-for-all this year.

    Game entries are still by far in the majority in CSSCGC 2008 and
    rightly so, but it wouldn't surprise me if we have more non-game
    entries than ever before in this year's compo.

    Indeed, arguably non-game entries have no place whatsover in the CGC
    (with 'G' standing for 'G'ame and all), but they have nevertheless
    been quite interesting this year. I did notice a few "emulators" creep
    in to CGC competitions, in previous years which partially led me to
    decide to accept the above title in the first place.

    We are also hoping that Andrew's entry may also spur on some
    multicolour Timex TC2048 game entries, of which he intends to submit
    one himself. Should be interesting.

  8. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:12:52 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Digital Prawn:

    > Indeed, arguably non-game entries have no place whatsover in the CGC
    > (with 'G' standing for 'G'ame and all), but they have nevertheless
    > been quite interesting this year. I did notice a few "emulators" creep
    > in to CGC competitions, in previous years which partially led me to
    > decide to accept the above title in the first place.

    There's always at least one non-game entry submitted. I'm not sure
    whether people don't understand the rules or whether they submit them
    as a bit of a joke. Last year we had some bizarre AY sound effect
    generator, apart from having no idea whatsoever how it worked (the
    author helpfully didn't provide any instructions, I doubt he had any
    idea either), we couldn't get it to do much other than play the
    included sample sounds and wasn't entirely sure what it was supposed
    to do anyway. "It won't just crap, or will it?" indeed.

    There's a tradition of accepting non-game entries regardless,
    sometimes they even win (one year had "game" and "utility" winners).
    Officially they should be disqualified immediately, but as they say in
    Pirates of the Caribbean, they're not really rules, more like
    guidelines.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  9. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:20:55 -0700 (PDT) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC OwenBot:

    > > Why not just submit it to WOS's utilities section?
    > > That'd be more reliable and accessable than the CGC.

    > How? There's no obvious process beyond uploading it to the FTP area
    > and it can take Martijn months to sort through all that stuff. I'm
    > quite happy to do that eventually, but I'd like to tweak it a bit
    > first.

    The process is to upload it to the FTP area and email Martijn.
    Actually I think there's a web upload form as well but I've had little
    luck with that and prefer the FTP/email system.

    It'll be put in the correct palce within a couple of days if you do
    that.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  10. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    Talking of bizarre games..
    How about this. you have a one liner which simply counts on the screen. You
    connect up a +D interface.
    Switch on and load the program
    Each user has a guess for a number. Each is given a rubber hammer.
    Each hits the spectrum in order until it freezes, at which time, the winner
    is the nearest to the on screen number. The losers pay for the repairs..
    :-)

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Digital Prawn" wrote in message
    On Sep 20, 9:28 am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > You submitted THAT to the CGC?
    > Why?
    > 1: It doesn't sound crap
    > 2: It's not a game
    > so
    > 3: It'll be disqualified...
    >
    > If you want to start a good utilities compo...
    > --

    I've let this one into the compo as admittedly I let the "non-game"
    rot set in after accepting "Virtual ZX Spectrum" by James Smith. (The
    real ZX Spectrum emulator for the ZX Spectrum). I was glad to accept
    it though as it is such a "clever" yet bizzare entry. Subsequently, it
    became a bit of a "real emulator"/"fake emulator"/"any utility you
    like" free-for-all this year.

    Game entries are still by far in the majority in CSSCGC 2008 and
    rightly so, but it wouldn't surprise me if we have more non-game
    entries than ever before in this year's compo.

    Indeed, arguably non-game entries have no place whatsover in the CGC
    (with 'G' standing for 'G'ame and all), but they have nevertheless
    been quite interesting this year. I did notice a few "emulators" creep
    in to CGC competitions, in previous years which partially led me to
    decide to accept the above title in the first place.

    We are also hoping that Andrew's entry may also spur on some
    multicolour Timex TC2048 game entries, of which he intends to submit
    one himself. Should be interesting.

  11. Re: ANN: ColorPRINT beta

    > We are also hoping that Andrew's entry may also spur on some
    > multicolour Timex TC2048 game entries, of which he intends to submit
    > one himself. Should be interesting.

    Well, I've got as far as defining the new UDGs. The ability to use
    POKE USR "A"+2048 to set the attributes is certainly handy. Now I just
    have to edit all of the print statements and add the new hi-colour
    title screen.

+ Reply to Thread