zx81 keyboard problem - Sinclair

This is a discussion on zx81 keyboard problem - Sinclair ; Is it possible to repair/replace the keyboard membrane of a zx81 these days ? I picked one up at a jumple sale for 3 with a 16k rampack and manuals etc and am keen to load up a copy of ...

  1. zx81 keyboard problem

    Is it possible to repair/replace the keyboard membrane of a zx81 these days
    ?

    I picked one up at a jumple sale for 3 with a 16k rampack and manuals etc
    and am keen to load up a copy of 3D Monstermaze.

    It did work originally but now although it comes on only a couple of keys
    seem to work.
    I unplugged and reinserted the connecter but this just seems to make
    different keys work briefly.

    MrMond.

    Usenet still quick despite no broadband.

  2. Re: zx81 keyboard problem

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:46:04 +0100, mrmond wrote:
    > I unplugged and reinserted the connecter but this just seems to make
    > different keys work briefly.

    Possible that the connector / socket contacts just need a good clean?

    Although I remember Spectrums typically broke the membrane just at the
    point it leaves the socket - ZX81s might be similarly affected; check for
    hairline cracks in the membrane right at the end.

    In the Spectrum there was just enough slack in the membrane to cut off the
    damaged end few mm of the membrane's "tails" and end up with a good
    membrane again, but I'm not sure if the ZX81 is similarly blessed (and of
    course you can only do this so many times :-)

    cheers

    Jules

  3. Re: zx81 keyboard problem

    mrmond wrote:
    > Is it possible to repair/replace the keyboard membrane of a zx81 these days
    > ?

    It is... Mr RWAP is your man.
    http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/zx812.html

  4. Re: zx81 keyboard problem

    Yes you can on the earlier membranes, but its extremely fiddly. I'm sure I
    saw someone selling the membranes quite recently some place. They were the
    American ones.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Jules" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.09.16.16.18.33.813917@remove.this.gmail.co m...
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:46:04 +0100, mrmond wrote:
    >> I unplugged and reinserted the connecter but this just seems to make
    >> different keys work briefly.

    > Possible that the connector / socket contacts just need a good clean?
    >
    > Although I remember Spectrums typically broke the membrane just at the
    > point it leaves the socket - ZX81s might be similarly affected; check for
    > hairline cracks in the membrane right at the end.
    >
    > In the Spectrum there was just enough slack in the membrane to cut off the
    > damaged end few mm of the membrane's "tails" and end up with a good
    > membrane again, but I'm not sure if the ZX81 is similarly blessed (and of
    > course you can only do this so many times :-)
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

  5. Re: zx81 keyboard problem

    "Matthew Westcott" wrote in message
    > mrmond wrote:
    >> Is it possible to repair/replace the keyboard membrane of a zx81 these
    >> days ?

    > It is... Mr RWAP is your man.
    > http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/zx812.html

    Thankyou.

  6. Re: zx81 keyboard problem

    Brian Gaff wrote:
    > Yes you can on the earlier membranes, but its extremely fiddly. I'm sure I
    > saw someone selling the membranes quite recently some place. They were the
    > American ones.
    >
    > Brian

    Well the good news is that I have arranged to get some brand new
    replacement ZX81 Keyboard membranes made and they are available for sale
    - see http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/membranes.html

    Rich
    www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread