+3 Disk repair. - Sinclair

This is a discussion on +3 Disk repair. - Sinclair ; I aquired a +3 spectrum recently from someone on my local LUG. Unfortunately I couldn't use the disk drive. I don't think it is a problem with the discs themsleves as I cannot even cat or format any of them. ...

  1. +3 Disk repair.

    I aquired a +3 spectrum recently from someone on my local LUG.

    Unfortunately I couldn't use the disk drive. I don't think it is a problem
    with the discs themsleves as I cannot even cat or format any of them.

    Is there anyone who does some kind of drive repair ? I have been led to
    believe that it may be a problem with the drive belt ?

    MrMond.

    I hate dialup. The next two weeks will be hell.

  2. Re: +3 Disk repair.

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:35:31 +0100, mrmond wrote:
    > Is there anyone who does some kind of drive repair ? I have been led to
    > believe that it may be a problem with the drive belt ?

    I don't think I've ever dug inside a +3, but if you look inside it should
    be pretty obvious if the belt's come off or broken.

    Generally-speaking, at a push rubber bands tend to work as a viable
    replacement on belt-driven drives, although I wouldn't recommend it
    for a heavily-used drive (I expect a rubber band puts increased load on
    the spindle and motor vs. a genuine belt).

    Other things to check: cabling and broken solder joints around cable
    sockets, dirty drive heads (gently clean with a cotton bud dipped in
    isopropanol), other debris fouling the mechanism.

    Aside: Years ago I used to work for a place that often fixed ailing
    drives in Amstrad wordprocessors. Typically it was just a belt problem,
    and replacing it - with a genuine part - no doubt made for a nice little
    earner for the company!

    cheers

    Jules

  3. Re: +3 Disk repair.

    No no no! If you use a rubber band all the discs will get corrupted. Talk to
    the Amstrad folks on their groups, I'm sure you will find someone with the
    belts still. They are very rigid and stiff. The problem is when thee drive
    is unused, they tend to get stretched in one place and slip.
    If you do need to do the work yourself, you need to gently remove the pcb
    and slide it to one side. The actual belt replacement is easy.
    Word of warning, the drives have a loose pin, a bit like a sawn of pin. This
    is free to fall out if you go under the pcb as you have to to do the repair.
    Do not loose it, or you will never get anything to save again!

    The top of the computer is detached by the usual screws, the connections
    from the keyboard and the led are the only bits connected.

    The screws in the case end go directly into the drive, so do not loose these
    they are different to the bottom screws.

    The drive can be disconnected and the bracket removed from the bottom of the
    computer and its free to be fiddled with. Be careful when replacing it not
    to trap the ribbon cable.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Jules" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.09.16.16.13.27.793161@remove.this.gmail.co m...
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:35:31 +0100, mrmond wrote:
    >> Is there anyone who does some kind of drive repair ? I have been led to
    >> believe that it may be a problem with the drive belt ?

    > I don't think I've ever dug inside a +3, but if you look inside it should
    > be pretty obvious if the belt's come off or broken.
    >
    > Generally-speaking, at a push rubber bands tend to work as a viable
    > replacement on belt-driven drives, although I wouldn't recommend it
    > for a heavily-used drive (I expect a rubber band puts increased load on
    > the spindle and motor vs. a genuine belt).
    >
    > Other things to check: cabling and broken solder joints around cable
    > sockets, dirty drive heads (gently clean with a cotton bud dipped in
    > isopropanol), other debris fouling the mechanism.
    >
    > Aside: Years ago I used to work for a place that often fixed ailing
    > drives in Amstrad wordprocessors. Typically it was just a belt problem,
    > and replacing it - with a genuine part - no doubt made for a nice little
    > earner for the company!
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

  4. Re: +3 Disk repair.

    take a belt off and go to your local tv repair shop and ask for a video
    drive belt simular to the one you have, thats were i get mine from for about
    2 to 3 quid
    and they are the same flat belts that people are charging 10 to 15 quid for
    from cpc
    if you cant find any let me know and i will go back to my old place of work
    and get some for very common belts

    Graham

    "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    news:SwTzk.58804$E41.25624@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    > No no no! If you use a rubber band all the discs will get corrupted. Talk
    > to the Amstrad folks on their groups, I'm sure you will find someone with
    > the belts still. They are very rigid and stiff. The problem is when thee
    > drive is unused, they tend to get stretched in one place and slip.
    > If you do need to do the work yourself, you need to gently remove the pcb
    > and slide it to one side. The actual belt replacement is easy.
    > Word of warning, the drives have a loose pin, a bit like a sawn of pin.
    > This is free to fall out if you go under the pcb as you have to to do the
    > repair. Do not loose it, or you will never get anything to save again!
    >
    > The top of the computer is detached by the usual screws, the connections
    > from the keyboard and the led are the only bits connected.
    >
    > The screws in the case end go directly into the drive, so do not loose
    > these they are different to the bottom screws.
    >
    > The drive can be disconnected and the bracket removed from the bottom of
    > the computer and its free to be fiddled with. Be careful when replacing it
    > not to trap the ribbon cable.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    > Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    > in the display name may be lost.
    > Blind user, so no pictures please!
    > "Jules" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.09.16.16.13.27.793161@remove.this.gmail.co m...
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:35:31 +0100, mrmond wrote:
    >>> Is there anyone who does some kind of drive repair ? I have been led to
    >>> believe that it may be a problem with the drive belt ?

    >> I don't think I've ever dug inside a +3, but if you look inside it should
    >> be pretty obvious if the belt's come off or broken.
    >>
    >> Generally-speaking, at a push rubber bands tend to work as a viable
    >> replacement on belt-driven drives, although I wouldn't recommend it
    >> for a heavily-used drive (I expect a rubber band puts increased load on
    >> the spindle and motor vs. a genuine belt).
    >>
    >> Other things to check: cabling and broken solder joints around cable
    >> sockets, dirty drive heads (gently clean with a cotton bud dipped in
    >> isopropanol), other debris fouling the mechanism.
    >>
    >> Aside: Years ago I used to work for a place that often fixed ailing
    >> drives in Amstrad wordprocessors. Typically it was just a belt problem,
    >> and replacing it - with a genuine part - no doubt made for a nice little
    >> earner for the company!
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>
    >> Jules

  5. Re: +3 Disk repair.

    my +3 had a broken drive band when I got it too, and I discovered that
    one of the old meccano drive band sizes was near as damn it the same.
    worked fine with that one since

    Graham Prout wrote:
    > take a belt off and go to your local tv repair shop and ask for a video
    > drive belt simular to the one you have, thats were i get mine from for
    > about 2 to 3 quid
    > and they are the same flat belts that people are charging 10 to 15 quid
    > for from cpc
    > if you cant find any let me know and i will go back to my old place of
    > work and get some for very common belts
    >

    > Graham
    >

    > "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    > news:SwTzk.58804$E41.25624@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    >> No no no! If you use a rubber band all the discs will get corrupted.
    >> Talk to the Amstrad folks on their groups, I'm sure you will find
    >> someone with the belts still. They are very rigid and stiff. The
    >> problem is when thee drive is unused, they tend to get stretched in
    >> one place and slip.
    >> If you do need to do the work yourself, you need to gently remove the
    >> pcb and slide it to one side. The actual belt replacement is easy.
    >> Word of warning, the drives have a loose pin, a bit like a sawn of
    >> pin. This is free to fall out if you go under the pcb as you have to
    >> to do the repair. Do not loose it, or you will never get anything to
    >> save again!
    >>
    >> The top of the computer is detached by the usual screws, the
    >> connections from the keyboard and the led are the only bits connected.
    >>
    >> The screws in the case end go directly into the drive, so do not loose
    >> these they are different to the bottom screws.
    >>
    >> The drive can be disconnected and the bracket removed from the bottom
    >> of the computer and its free to be fiddled with. Be careful when
    >> replacing it not to trap the ribbon cable.
    >>
    >> Brian
    >>
    >> --
    >> Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    >> Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    >> in the display name may be lost.
    >> Blind user, so no pictures please!
    >> "Jules" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2008.09.16.16.13.27.793161@remove.this.gmail.co m...
    >>>
    >>> I don't think I've ever dug inside a +3, but if you look inside it
    >>> should
    >>> be pretty obvious if the belt's come off or broken.
    >>>
    >>> Generally-speaking, at a push rubber bands tend to work as a viable
    >>> replacement on belt-driven drives, although I wouldn't recommend it
    >>> for a heavily-used drive (I expect a rubber band puts increased load on
    >>> the spindle and motor vs. a genuine belt).
    >>>
    >>> Other things to check: cabling and broken solder joints around cable
    >>> sockets, dirty drive heads (gently clean with a cotton bud dipped in
    >>> isopropanol), other debris fouling the mechanism.
    >>>
    >>> Aside: Years ago I used to work for a place that often fixed ailing
    >>> drives in Amstrad wordprocessors. Typically it was just a belt problem,
    >>> and replacing it - with a genuine part - no doubt made for a nice little
    >>> earner for the company!
    >>>
    >>> cheers
    >>>
    >>> Jules

  6. Re: +3 Disk repair.

    "Guesser" wrote in message
    > my +3 had a broken drive band when I got it too, and I discovered that one
    > of the old meccano drive band sizes was near as damn it the same. worked
    > fine with that one since
    >
    > Graham Prout wrote:
    >> take a belt off and go to your local tv repair shop and ask for a video
    >> drive belt simular to the one you have, thats were i get mine from for
    >> about 2 to 3 quid
    >> and they are the same flat belts that people are charging 10 to 15 quid
    >> for from cpc
    >> if you cant find any let me know and i will go back to my old place of
    >> work and get some for very common belts
    >>

    >> Graham
    >>

    >> "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    >> news:SwTzk.58804$E41.25624@text.news.virginmedia.c om...
    >>> No no no! If you use a rubber band all the discs will get corrupted.
    >>> Talk to the Amstrad folks on their groups, I'm sure you will find
    >>> someone with the belts still. They are very rigid and stiff. The problem
    >>> is when thee drive is unused, they tend to get stretched in one place
    >>> and slip.
    >>> If you do need to do the work yourself, you need to gently remove the
    >>> pcb and slide it to one side. The actual belt replacement is easy.
    >>> Word of warning, the drives have a loose pin, a bit like a sawn of pin.
    >>> This is free to fall out if you go under the pcb as you have to to do
    >>> the repair. Do not loose it, or you will never get anything to save
    >>> again!
    >>>
    >>> The top of the computer is detached by the usual screws, the connections
    >>> from the keyboard and the led are the only bits connected.
    >>>
    >>> The screws in the case end go directly into the drive, so do not loose
    >>> these they are different to the bottom screws.
    >>>
    >>> The drive can be disconnected and the bracket removed from the bottom of
    >>> the computer and its free to be fiddled with. Be careful when replacing
    >>> it not to trap the ribbon cable.
    >>>
    >>> Brian
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    >>> Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    >>> in the display name may be lost.
    >>> Blind user, so no pictures please!
    >>> "Jules" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2008.09.16.16.13.27.793161@remove.this.gmail.co m...

    Thankyou to everyone.

    Hello To Brian. I still have a prism vtx modem I got from you many years
    ago. I remember good help & advice then too.

    MrMond

+ Reply to Thread