Filmation... how does it work? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Filmation... how does it work? - Sinclair ; Does anyone know exactly how Ultimate's Filamtion works? There's an explantion of the room layout and graphics at http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/nwalker/filmation/ , and it's easy enough to guess how the rooms are constructed when you enter them, but how do the sprites ...

  1. Filmation... how does it work?

    Does anyone know exactly how Ultimate's Filamtion works? There's an
    explantion of the room layout and graphics at http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/nwalker/filmation/,
    and it's easy enough to guess how the rooms are constructed when you
    enter them, but how do the sprites move behind other objects? I can't
    see how it could possibly rewrite the screen from scratch each frame,
    but who knows.
    There's an attempt at disassembly at http://www.icemark.com/downloads/files/knightlore.zip
    but there's no mention of moving objects in it.
    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Filmation... how does it work?

    DanSolo wrote:
    > Does anyone know exactly how Ultimate's Filamtion works? There's an
    > explantion of the room layout and graphics at http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/nwalker/filmation/,
    > and it's easy enough to guess how the rooms are constructed when you
    > enter them, but how do the sprites move behind other objects? I can't
    > see how it could possibly rewrite the screen from scratch each frame,
    > but who knows.
    > There's an attempt at disassembly at http://www.icemark.com/downloads/files/knightlore.zip
    > but there's no mention of moving objects in it.
    > Any ideas?

    Do a search for Jon Ritman in comp.sys.sinclair a few years ago...
    Possible as much as 10 now.
    He went into a detailed explaination on how HE did isometric 3D in head over
    heals and batman. Might give you some idea...

    If I recall, linked lists played heavily in the explanation.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  3. Re: Filmation... how does it work?

    One technique for using sprites (generally, not just in forced-
    perspective-3D games) is to use the same technique as used in windowed
    programs and OSes[1]: remember what was behind the sprite, and erase
    the sprite by redrawing the original background.

    Of course, some games used tricks to spare them the effort, such as
    having a blank background, at least in the area of the sprite (Time-
    Gate), or using XOR to both draw and erase the sprite, although this
    could look messy (ISTR the Magic Knight games did this; I think that
    Albert Ball's unpublished third Speccy game, Masterspy, also used this
    technique, judging by the fact that the PC version does).

    [1] Hasta la Vista[2], baby! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

    [2] # People who've ditched Windows, they always stare at me; they
    shake their heads in sorrow, saying "He's still using XP"...

  4. Re: Filmation... how does it work?

    On Sep 11, 2:56*pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Do a search for Jon Ritman in comp.sys.sinclair a few years ago...

    You da man.
    http://groups.google.ie/group/comp.s...76f01307fad9f9
    That makes wire-frame hidden line removal sound easy...

  5. Re: Filmation... how does it work?

    On Sep 11, 2:40*pm, DanSolo wrote:
    > Does anyone know exactly how Ultimate's Filamtion works?

    There's been lots of discussion on RetroRemakes.com forums over the
    years. If even a maths duffer like myself can do it then it isn't
    hard

    Search the forums (for god sake don't sign up there are enough fans of
    brown already ) for isometric.

    sparkes

  6. Re: Filmation... how does it work?

    On Sep 12, 8:25*am, sparkes wrote:
    > There's been lots of discussion on RetroRemakes.com forums over the
    > years. *If even a maths duffer like myself can do it then it isn't
    > hard

    I'm sure there's little problem assigning every single object on the
    screen a depth value and stacking them all accordingly on a 3Ghz PC,
    but my question was really to ask how the got any decent speed on the
    old 8 bits. Does retroremakes (I've had a look at a lot of the
    remakes... the Ant Attack is fantastic) also cover the "old-tech" as
    well as the new?

  7. Re: Filmation... how does it work?

    On Sep 12, 4:07*pm, DanSolo wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 8:25*am, sparkes wrote:
    >
    > > There's been lots of discussion on RetroRemakes.com forums over the
    > > years. *If even a maths duffer like myself can do it then it isn't
    > > hard

    > I'm sure there's little problem assigning every single object on the
    > screen a depth value and stacking them all accordingly on a 3Ghz PC,
    > but my question was really to ask how the got any decent speed on the
    > old 8 bits.

    The problem is the the same whatever the platform Once you
    understand how it works it's surprising how simple it is I wasted
    about 3 weeks and a couple of handfuls of hair but once you know how
    the speed of the processor doesn't matter

    You can code the solution in inefficient ways that require a fast
    processor and tons of ram but you can just as easily do it efficiently
    it's not so much about number crunching as only using the right data.

    > Does retroremakes (I've had a look at a lot of the
    > remakes... the Ant Attack is fantastic) also cover the "old-tech" as
    > well as the new?

    The current compo allows entries to be coded for retro platforms. I'm
    targeting speccy and nintendo ds with my entries so it does cover
    retro platforms but most of the developers are on windows. But as
    Joe Gunn (on the C64) is a project that was done by people on RR and
    development was coordinated on the forums you can be sure of a warm
    welcome if you ask proper retro questions people enjoy dusting off
    their old knowledge.

    sparkes

+ Reply to Thread