Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there? - Sinclair ; So far I've tried: Cyberlink PowerDVD (came with my desktop machine) -- thinks I only have two speakers. Nero ShowTime -- knows I have four speakers, but won't use them unless I fork out for another licence -- which I've ...

  1. Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    So far I've tried:

    Cyberlink PowerDVD (came with my desktop machine) -- thinks I only
    have two speakers.

    Nero ShowTime -- knows I have four speakers, but won't use them unless
    I fork out for another licence -- which I've done, and the bloody
    thing isn't recognised (those idiots have sent me the wrong key). To
    my mind this is disgusting -- if the shops sold a hardware DVD player
    with supposed surround-sound capability, and it turned out that said
    capability isn't available unless one pays an engineer an extra 10 to
    "unlock" it, most customers wouldn't bother -- instead they'd return
    that crap for a refund, and buy a proper player instead.

    DVD X 4.1 -- supposed to be "full-featured" even in the trial version,
    but setting the audio output to "4 speaker" results in a stony silence

    Some freeware player whose name I can't remember (begins with V? --
    something like VLS?) -- lacks such *basic* features as chapter select

    Needless to say, I don't recommend any of the above as they're all
    crap. Is there a player out there which is either freeware or a fully-
    featured trial (I don't want to register a player only to find that
    features which can only be unlocked after registration, don't work
    even then) and has all the features one can reasonably expect?

    (Another pile of crap I'm not going to register is Corel Draw 14 --
    Corel have removed the *basic* feature of layers, thus making it
    difficult or impossible to organise elaborate drawings properly; I'll
    stick to Corel Draw 7 (when I find the install disc), which predates
    when Corel lost the plot. What are they going to remove from version
    15? Fountain fills? Node editing?

  2. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 5 Sep
    2008 04:53:43 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk korax1214@gmail.com fornis do
    marikano es bono tan el:

    >So far I've tried:
    >Some freeware player whose name I can't remember (begins with V? --
    >something like VLS?) -- lacks such *basic* features as chapter select

    VLC?

    VLC has chapter select though. It's what I use.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

  3. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    VLC should be the only media player you ever need. Handy for network
    streaming as well, which is what it was originally designed for.

  4. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 5 Sep
    2008 05:13:12 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
    comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk OwenBot fornis
    do marikano es bono tan el:

    >VLC should be the only media player you ever need. Handy for network
    >streaming as well, which is what it was originally designed for.

    It's a lifesaver in a school where staff bring in video clips in every format
    known to man and beast. Much easier than installing ten billion codecs.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  5. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    A lot of the problems, I'm told is crap multi channel drivers for the
    various sound cards and on board sound hardware.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    wrote in message
[...]

  6. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 5 Sep, 13:13, OwenBot wrote:
    >> VLC should be the only media player you ever need.

    > Well, it may have a chapter-select function hidden somewhere (where?),
    > but it most certainly doesn't have 5.1 or even 4.0 channel output,

    Yes it does:
    http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48115

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  7. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    On 8 Sep, 07:44, deKay gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
    > korax1...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On 5 Sep, 13:13, OwenBot wrote:
    > >> VLC should be the only media player you ever need.

    > > Well, it may have a chapter-select function hidden somewhere (where?),
    > > but it most certainly doesn't have 5.1 or even 4.0 channel output,

    > Yes it does:http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48115

    Oops, sorry -- just installed VLC (the version I downloaded in
    February) on my desktop machine and it indeed does, it even defaulted
    to the correct option of "2 front, 2 rear". I was going by my VLC
    installation on my laptop, which of course has only 2.0 stereo so
    that's all that appears on the Audio menu there.

    /me slaps self with trout

    My recommendation to steer well clear of Nero and of Cyberlink PooDVD
    still stands however

  8. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    On 8 Sep, 09:54, korax1...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 8 Sep, 07:44, deKay

    > ... just installed VLC ... on my desktop machine

    I'm now playing "Jean-Michel Jarre: The Concert in China" and hearing
    it the way it was meant to be heard for the very first time! :-)
    Evidently the answer to my original question is, yes, VLC is the only
    one worth considering (and infinitely (literally) better value than
    either of the others I've tried). I think I'll email Mesh and
    recommend that they bundle VLC instead of PooDVD in future...

    I wonder if I can run a second instance to rip a soundtrack?

  9. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    The main thing I don't like about VLC is that there doesn't appear to
    be any way to get it to display the chapter number, as all other DVD
    players (hardware and software) that I've used do. This is annoying
    as chapter-number display is important for music DVDs, such as /A
    Night At The Opera/ (Queen, not Marx Brothers) which I'm listening to
    currently.

    Maybe this is another option I just haven't found yet. After all,
    chapter-number display is less relevant (though not totally
    irrelevant) for movie DVDs, which are the majority.

  10. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:
    > Evidently the answer to my original question is, yes, VLC is the only
    > one worth considering (and infinitely (literally) better value than
    > either of the others I've tried). I think I'll email Mesh and
    > recommend that they bundle VLC instead of PooDVD in future...

    VLC is only "better value" because it includes, for free, code and
    plugins that it's legally-dubious to distribute in countries where DRM
    laws and/or software patents apply-- and that includes the code to play
    most commercial DVDs. Whereas PowerDVD et al. pay their dues for a
    licence to ship the necessary software, and obviously have to pass that
    cost on to the consumer.

    For that reason, I can't imagine any commercial entity falling over
    itself to bundle VLC, other than perhaps a version with all the "useful"
    codecs stripped out.

  11. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    Calum wrote:
    > korax1214@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Evidently the answer to my original question is, yes, VLC is the only
    >> one worth considering (and infinitely (literally) better value than
    >> either of the others I've tried). I think I'll email Mesh and
    >> recommend that they bundle VLC instead of PooDVD in future...

    > VLC is only "better value" because it includes, for free, code and
    > plugins that it's legally-dubious to distribute in countries where DRM
    > laws and/or software patents apply-- and that includes the code to play
    > most commercial DVDs. Whereas PowerDVD et al. pay their dues for a
    > licence to ship the necessary software, and obviously have to pass that
    > cost on to the consumer.
    >
    > For that reason, I can't imagine any commercial entity falling over
    > itself to bundle VLC, other than perhaps a version with all the "useful"
    > codecs stripped out.

    so only bundle it on computers built for customers in the free world,
    not any of those crazy countries, simple.

  12. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    If it wasn't for VLC I wouldn't buy DVDs at all. Region encoding goes
    against the principles of a free market.

  13. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    On Sep 9, 8:50*am, OwenBot wrote:
    > If it wasn't for VLC I wouldn't buy DVDs at all. Region encoding goes
    > against the principles of a free market.

    I agree. One thing that pisses me off is that the movie "The Addams
    Family" is available only in Region 1 (at least from Amazon UK), not
    Region 2, so I'm sorely tempted to buy the Region 1 version and rip
    myself a region-free copy (I have DVD Fab Platinum). I've hesitated
    doing so because I'm not sure it would work.

  14. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    On Sep 9, 9:10*am, korax1...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 8:50*am, OwenBot wrote:
    >
    > > If it wasn't for VLC I wouldn't buy DVDs at all. Region encoding goes
    > > against the principles of a free market.

    > I agree. *One thing that pisses me off is that the movie "The Addams
    > Family" is available only in Region 1 (at least from Amazon UK), not
    > Region 2, so I'm sorely tempted to buy the Region 1 version and rip
    > myself a region-free copy (I have DVD Fab Platinum). *I've hesitated
    > doing so because I'm not sure it would work.

    No need to rip. VLC doesn't care about region encoding, and won't
    affect the setting on your DVD player either.

  15. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    OwenBot wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 9:10 am, korax1...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Sep 9, 8:50 am, OwenBot wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it wasn't for VLC I wouldn't buy DVDs at all. Region encoding goes
    >>> against the principles of a free market.

    >> I agree. One thing that pisses me off is that the movie "The Addams
    >> Family" is available only in Region 1 (at least from Amazon UK), not
    >> Region 2, so I'm sorely tempted to buy the Region 1 version and rip
    >> myself a region-free copy (I have DVD Fab Platinum). I've hesitated
    >> doing so because I'm not sure it would work.

    > No need to rip. VLC doesn't care about region encoding, and won't
    > affect the setting on your DVD player either.

    Depending on your DVD hardware... VLC won't circumvent the region
    encoding on either of my Matsu****a drives.

  16. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:57:14 +0100, Calum
    wrote:

    >Depending on your DVD hardware... VLC won't circumvent the region
    >encoding on either of my Matsu****a drives.

    Probably because they're Matsu******a? :-)

    (Years ago, when I used to frequent the PC Plus webforums, they had a
    dumb censorbot which rendered the above name as Matsu****a -- a good
    illustration of why search-and-replace facilities have a "whole words
    only" option. Some people got around it by typing Matsu[organic
    fertiliser]a or the like, but that's hardly the point. I think the
    system also had the well-known problem with the town of S****horpe...)
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  17. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > (Years ago, when I used to frequent the PC Plus webforums, they had a
    > dumb censorbot which rendered the above name as Matsu****a -- a good
    > illustration of why search-and-replace facilities have a "whole words
    > only" option. Some people got around it by typing Matsu[organic
    > fertiliser]a or the like, but that's hardly the point. I think the
    > system also had the well-known problem with the town of S****horpe...)

    S****horpe? Where's that?

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
    Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog

  18. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > I think the system also had the well-known problem with the town of S****horpe...)

    problem?

  19. Re: Is there any good Windows DVD player software out there?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:44:21 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC deKay:

    > Robert Baker wrote:
    > > (Years ago, when I used to frequent the PC Plus webforums, they had a
    > > dumb censorbot which rendered the above name as Matsu****a -- a good
    > > illustration of why search-and-replace facilities have a "whole words
    > > only" option. Some people got around it by typing Matsu[organic
    > > fertiliser]a or the like, but that's hardly the point. I think the
    > > system also had the well-known problem with the town of S****horpe...)

    > S****horpe? Where's that?

    It's just down the road from S****horpe[1].

    Chris
    [1] FACT: Named after an explorer who famously climbed Everest and
    proclaimed "'S****horpe here, where's the pub?"

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |