Design Design / Crystal Computing - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Design Design / Crystal Computing - Sinclair ; Hi all. I had a nostalgic moment and rummaged about in my archives. Doubt they're of much interest to anyone else, but what source files still exist for the early Design Design Spectrum games can be found here: http://www.desdes.com/products/oldfiles/index.htm Be ...

  1. Design Design / Crystal Computing

    Hi all.

    I had a nostalgic moment and rummaged about in my archives. Doubt
    they're of much interest to anyone else, but what source files still
    exist for the early Design Design Spectrum games can be found here:

    http://www.desdes.com/products/oldfiles/index.htm

    Be warned, they're not pretty. The very early ones had to be compressed
    insanely to make them fit in the memory of the development systems.

    There's some information missing (syntax highlighting and so on) from
    the later files, and the formatting has a few peculiarities (the
    originals were not straightforward text files) but they would assemble
    to the right bytes, I think.

    Have fun, we had fun writing them...

    Simon Brattel

    "Programmers Can't"

  2. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    "Simon Brattel" wrote:

    > I had a nostalgic moment and rummaged about in my archives. Doubt they're
    > of much interest to anyone else, but what source files still exist for the
    > early Design Design Spectrum games can be found here:
    > http://www.desdes.com/products/oldfiles/index.htm

    Ooh, good. This might let me fill the holes in the list of DD Easter eggs,
    which are pretty extensive because DD games were 50% Easter eggs. I shall
    check it out when I have a long enough single block of spare time.

    Eq.

  3. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    > Ooh, good. This might let me fill the holes in the list of DD Easter eggs,
    > which are pretty extensive because DD games were 50% Easter eggs.

    We did sneak some amusing stuff in there, but unfortunately the files
    that had most of the source-code humour in were stolen about a decade
    ago. The few source files that remain are ones I've pieced together from
    bits and pieces that happened to be stuffed on other discs, or even in
    one or two cases recovered piecemeal from deleted files... Nearly all my
    original sources are completely lost, together with any history files
    and comment files, todo stuff and diaries, and so forth, that was on the
    individual project disks... Bloody annoying.

  4. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    "Simon Brattel" wrote:

    > unfortunately the files that had most of the source-code humour in were
    > stolen about a decade ago.

    Intriguing! Who stole your files, and how, and why?

    Eq.

  5. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    > Intriguing! Who stole your files, and how, and why?

    Dunno. If I knew who'd done it I'd have sent a few Things around to get
    'em back...

    All I know is that all the games source disks were sat happily in a box
    on a shelf in the storeroom at work right up until the point that I
    looked for them, at which point they'd come over all gone...

    I had the off-site backups, but they were mainly serious stuff, at that
    time the games disks were just ancient history that I wasn't looking
    after particularly - most of the bloody backup disks that had existed
    for 'em were stuffed into the same box as the others, gah.

    It has depressed me occasionally to think of it. A large slice of my
    history gone... And it was pointless - they'll have been unreadable to
    anyone else, the disk format our development systems used was a
    proprietary one, so either they'll have been reformatted and used on
    something else, or just thrown away. Must have been someone we were
    employing, nobody else would have had access, which makes it all the
    more annoying.

    Still, they did take Forbidden Planet as well so I suppose I really
    ought to be grateful to them

  6. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    "Paul E Collins" wrote ...

    > "Simon Brattel" wrote:
    >
    >> unfortunately the files that had most of the source-code humour in were
    >> stolen about a decade ago.

    > Intriguing! Who stole your files, and how, and why?

    Could it have been MI-5? If so, how is top secret, and why is up for
    guessing. ;-)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    If you make it idiot-proof,
    someone will make a better idiot!

  7. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    >> Intriguing! Who stole your files, and how, and why?
    >
    > Could it have been MI-5?

    Damn! Why didn't I think of them? Wish I hadn't had Neil and Martin
    executed now...

    > someone will make a better idiot!

    Somehow I think that's unlikely.

  8. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    Well, you never know, as I said here a while back. I got some 5.25 discs and
    was idly looking at what was on them some years ago, using a low level disc
    reader on a cp'm machine and found some ocp software source from vat manager
    on a format badged as abbeydale, so I think it was speccy stuff. Quite how
    such discs got into the hands of a second hand disc seller is not known.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Simon Brattel" wrote in message
    >> Intriguing! Who stole your files, and how, and why?

    > Dunno. If I knew who'd done it I'd have sent a few Things around to get
    > 'em back...
    >
    > All I know is that all the games source disks were sat happily in a box on
    > a shelf in the storeroom at work right up until the point that I looked
    > for them, at which point they'd come over all gone...
    >
    > I had the off-site backups, but they were mainly serious stuff, at that
    > time the games disks were just ancient history that I wasn't looking after
    > particularly - most of the bloody backup disks that had existed for 'em
    > were stuffed into the same box as the others, gah.
    >
    > It has depressed me occasionally to think of it. A large slice of my
    > history gone... And it was pointless - they'll have been unreadable to
    > anyone else, the disk format our development systems used was a
    > proprietary one, so either they'll have been reformatted and used on
    > something else, or just thrown away. Must have been someone we were
    > employing, nobody else would have had access, which makes it all the more
    > annoying.
    >
    > Still, they did take Forbidden Planet as well so I suppose I really ought
    > to be grateful to them

  9. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    In article <48c075bc$0$2513$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>, crem@desdes.com
    says...
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I had a nostalgic moment and rummaged about in my archives. Doubt
    > they're of much interest to anyone else, but what source files still
    > exist for the early Design Design Spectrum games can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.desdes.com/products/oldfiles/index.htm
    >
    > Be warned, they're not pretty. The very early ones had to be compressed
    > insanely to make them fit in the memory of the development systems.
    >
    > There's some information missing (syntax highlighting and so on) from
    > the later files, and the formatting has a few peculiarities (the
    > originals were not straightforward text files) but they would assemble
    > to the right bytes, I think.
    >
    > Have fun, we had fun writing them...
    >
    > Simon Brattel
    >
    > "Programmers Can't"

    I must say Warlock Of Firetop Mountain was the best and scariest two
    player[1] game ever!

    Mal

    [1] well me and one of my best mates played it as two player anyway -
    one on directions and the other on combat/door opening

    --
    "Please be informed that Port 80 is meant only for the FTP files
    upload."

  10. Re: Design Design / Crystal Computing

    Simon Brattel wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I had a nostalgic moment and rummaged about in my archives. Doubt
    > they're of much interest to anyone else, but what source files still
    > exist for the early Design Design Spectrum games can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.desdes.com/products/oldfiles/index.htm

    Since the source files posed some problems with the Z80 assemblers now
    available I've thrown a more compatible assembler together over the
    weekend and put it on the site. Windoze only, I'm afraid, but it should
    run under wine.

    http://www.desdes.com/products/oldfiles/zeus.exe

    I've also updated most of the games sources slightly so that they can be
    assembled to *.szx files using it with a single click, which makes them
    rather easier to play with.

    Have fun...

+ Reply to Thread