Bite the Dust - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Bite the Dust - Sinclair ; Does anyone know how to do screen 04 in "Bite the Dust"? It starts with a bunch of rocks hurtling towards you. I can't even dodge the first one without losing a life -- I've tried moving in every direction, ...

  1. Bite the Dust

    Does anyone know how to do screen 04 in "Bite the Dust"?

    It starts with a bunch of rocks hurtling towards you. I can't even dodge the
    first one without losing a life -- I've tried moving in every direction, but
    left seems the best bet -- and then there are several more that use up my
    remaining lives.

    Am I missing something about this game, like the ability to run faster or
    activate a shield?! Otherwise, that level seems quite impossible.

    Eq.

  2. Re: Bite the Dust

    On Aug 28, 6:28 pm, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to do screen 04 in "Bite the Dust"?
    >
    > It starts with a bunch of rocks hurtling towards you. I can't even dodge the
    > first one without losing a life -- I've tried moving in every direction, but
    > left seems the best bet -- and then there are several more that use up my
    > remaining lives.
    >
    > Am I missing something about this game, like the ability to run faster or
    > activate a shield?! Otherwise, that level seems quite impossible.
    >
    > Eq.

    I do enjoy these speccy gaming challenges.

    I don't think you are missing anything about the game. I couldn't find
    any extra abilities either and I just completed levels 00 to 03.

    It's just that the game is pretty, well evil really. But it does
    compensate by having the password system, and three lives available
    per level.

    I have to say though that I found the time limits pretty strict, to
    say the least. I lost lives on levels 02 and 03 due to running out of
    time, even though I was going pretty fast.

    Level04 - you just have to be really quick on the keyboard at the
    beginning.

    The sequence seems to be left, up, right, up some more, and right
    again at the correct moment so you end up in the rightmost column.

    I have uploaded an rzx of me getting past this first awkward part of
    level04.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wy2eygndscj

    (Or I can mail this file to you if you prefer, I think I still have
    your E-mail address from the CGC).

    I find that to be quick enough, you have to hold down "left" even
    before starting the level, and then immediately press "up" a fraction
    of a second after starting the level. Then of course be quick again
    moving right, up then right again. The second right move must be
    executed after one boulder falls, but before another one does.

    Timing is everything, and I must've died about a dozen times before
    getting it right!

    It is a good find this game though. Clearly very much like Repton but
    with some elements that remind me a little of the DOS game "Supaplex"
    too.

  3. Re: Bite the Dust

    With those time limits and such an early level (there are 20 or 30 in the
    game) already resorting to "move as fast as possible" as a gameplay
    element -- which is criminal in such a flexible puzzle game as Repton -- I
    don't really want to see the rest.

    So if anyone else wants to do the RZX and continue from my first four
    perfect levels, contact me soon while I still have the file. (I expect you
    can only use the partial RZX in Spectaculator.)

    Eq.

  4. Re: Bite the Dust

    On Aug 30, 7:24*pm, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > With those time limits and such an early level (there are 20 or 30 in the
    > game) already resorting to "move as fast as possible" as a gameplay
    > element -- which is criminal in such a flexible puzzle game as Repton -- I
    > don't really want to see the rest.

    I completely understand. Whoever takes on completion of the entire RZX
    certainly will have their work cut out for them. Even using rollback I
    don't think it'll be too easy. I dread to think what the last level is
    like. Even if the player is very skillful, they will no doubt require
    multple attempts per level in order to optimise the route - to allow
    completion with the quite draconian time limits.

    > So if anyone else wants to do the RZX and continue from my first four
    > perfect levels, contact me soon while I still have the file. (I expect you
    > can only use the partial RZX in Spectaculator.)
    >
    > Eq.

    Well, I've got a few other speccy tasks on my plate for the next
    couple of weeks, so it'll be unlikely that I'll have the time
    available to do the entire game. But I do hope someone else can
    contact you to help out with this!

    Cheers, DP

+ Reply to Thread