ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback - Sinclair

This is a discussion on ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback - Sinclair ; One notable change this time is that I've replaced all the Corel Draw maps and stuff I used to offer with shiny new SVG versions -- these should be usable on Linux systems, not just Windows, at least for those ...

  1. ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    One notable change this time is that I've replaced all the Corel Draw
    maps and stuff I used to offer with shiny new SVG versions -- these
    should be usable on Linux systems, not just Windows, at least for
    those who can be arsed to follow the link to the Inkscape page and
    grab that.

    I'm thinking of linking directly to the images; SVG will display on
    Firefox 3, though (unsurprisingly) not on Internet Execrable 7.
    Although even in FF, an SVG will display only if used as a page in its
    own right; I haven't found out how to use them as embedded images, or
    if this is even possible.

  2. Re: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    OK, I'll bite what is an svg?

    I can't imagine what it might do when read as text...

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    wrote in message

    > One notable change this time is that I've replaced all the Corel Draw
    > maps and stuff I used to offer with shiny new SVG versions -- these
    > should be usable on Linux systems, not just Windows, at least for
    > those who can be arsed to follow the link to the Inkscape page and
    > grab that.
    >
    > I'm thinking of linking directly to the images; SVG will display on
    > Firefox 3, though (unsurprisingly) not on Internet Execrable 7.
    > Although even in FF, an SVG will display only if used as a page in its
    > own right; I haven't found out how to use them as embedded images, or
    > if this is even possible.

  3. Re: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    Brian Gaff wrote:
    > OK, I'll bite what is an svg?
    >
    > I can't imagine what it might do when read as text...

    Software vector graphics format.
    (scalable graphics using vectors rather than bitmaps)
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Brian Gaff wrote:
    >> OK, I'll bite what is an svg?
    >>
    >> I can't imagine what it might do when read as text...

    > Software vector graphics format.
    > (scalable graphics using vectors rather than bitmaps)

    Or is it scalable vector graphics format...
    SVG...
    either way... that's what it is...

    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  5. Re: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Software vector graphics format. (scalable graphics using vectors
    > rather than bitmaps)

    It's yet more XML abuse is what it is.

    Imagine a tight, easy to parse vector image format... This isn't it.

  6. Re: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    Sinclair PC200 512k (V1.5) on 26 August 2008
    : Imagine a tight, easy to parse vector image format...

    cs
    pu fd 25 pd repeat 180 [fd 1 rt 2] pu rt 90 fd 70 pd lt 90 fd 25 bk 50
    fd 25 rt 45 fd 35 bk 35 rt 90 fd 35 bk 35
    ht

    Sorry, drifting.

    --
    --------------------------- ,@@.o ,@@. SPELL SUCCEEDS
    John Elliott | @@@@ @@@@ n \_O_

  7. Re: ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    That 4096x11 image is making the page width huge, specially when you
    put it in double size.

    METALBRAIN
    (C) 1977 Tejedor & Gómez Research Ltd.

  8. Re: ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:29:02 +0200, "Jaime Tejedor Gómez, aka
    Metalbrain" wrote:

    > That 4096x11 image is making the page width huge, specially when you
    >put it in double size.

    I'd noticed that problem, and also that there's unwanted blurring
    (antialiasing?) of the text. Anyone know how to get around this? (I
    want my divider image to completely fill the width, without being too
    narrow as the old one was on modern screens which are >1024px.)
    --
    Zork: one nation, underground, invisible, with loot and adventure for all

  9. Re: ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    Robert Baker wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:29:02 +0200, "Jaime Tejedor Gómez, aka
    > Metalbrain" wrote:
    >

    >> That 4096x11 image is making the page width huge, specially when you
    >> put it in double size.

    > I'd noticed that problem, and also that there's unwanted blurring
    > (antialiasing?) of the text. Anyone know how to get around this? (I
    > want my divider image to completely fill the width, without being too
    > narrow as the old one was on modern screens which are >1024px.)

    Try this instead of the tag:

    I don't think there's any good way to combine that trick with a
    double-sized image though, and Firefox will probably add the blur no
    matter what you do. Your best bet is just to create a separate
    double-sized image really.

  10. Re: ANN: My Speccy site is crap^Wback

    In case you're still updating "name that tune": Dynamite Dan II's title
    theme is The Entertainer by Scott Joplin.

    I could probably name quite a few more, but for the time being I think I'd
    rather go to the pub.

    Eq.

+ Reply to Thread