British computer games industry history on channel 5 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on British computer games industry history on channel 5 - Sinclair ; Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (BST). When: Friday 22nd August on five The documentary series looking at the untold stories of British scientific innovations focuses on the development of Britain's 1.4 billion ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

  1. British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five

    Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (BST).
    When: Friday 22nd August on five

    The documentary series looking at the untold stories of British
    scientific innovations focuses on the development of Britain's 1.4
    billion pound computer game industry. In the early 1980s, two
    pioneering Cambridge undergraduates set out to achieve the seemingly
    impossible task of developing the world's first 3-D computer game.

    (Information from www.digiguide.com)

  2. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On 15 Aug, 22:08, Philip Green wrote:
    > Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five

    Thanks for the tip. I missed the first five.
    This is the sort of stuff i like and it is the last of six next week.
    Channel five are shrinking violets when it comes to publicizing
    programs but without paying 9.99 a month I got this via Google

    http://library.digiguide.com/lib/uk-...6/Documentary/

    I did like that game.

  3. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Philip Green wrote in news:48a5f047$0$7469
    $ba620dc5@nova.planet.nl:

    > Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five
    >
    > Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (BST).
    > When: Friday 22nd August on five
    >
    > The documentary series looking at the untold stories of British
    > scientific innovations focuses on the development of Britain's 1.4
    > billion pound computer game industry. In the early 1980s, two
    > pioneering Cambridge undergraduates set out to achieve the seemingly
    > impossible task of developing the world's first 3-D computer game.
    >

    > (Information from www.digiguide.com)

    Was that Braben and Bell?

  4. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Aug 15, 10:08 pm, Philip Green wrote:
    > Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five
    >
    > Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (BST).
    > When: Friday 22nd August on five
    >
    > The documentary series looking at the untold stories of British
    > scientific innovations focuses on the development of Britain's 1.4
    > billion pound computer game industry. In the early 1980s, two
    > pioneering Cambridge undergraduates set out to achieve the seemingly
    > impossible task of developing the world's first 3-D computer game.
    >
    > (Information fromwww.digiguide.com)

    This came up a while back at alt.fan.elite. I dunno will this link
    work: http://groups.google.ie/group/alt.fa...d484458b68318#

  5. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:08:23 +0200, Philip Green wrote:

    > In the early 1980s, two
    > pioneering Cambridge undergraduates set out to achieve the seemingly
    > impossible task of developing the world's first 3-D computer game.

    Ant Attack? :-)

  6. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Aug 16, 11:13 pm, Jules
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:08:23 +0200, Philip Green wrote:
    > > In the early 1980s, two
    > > pioneering Cambridge undergraduates set out to achieve the seemingly
    > > impossible task of developing the world's first 3-D computer game.

    > Ant Attack? :-)

    Hardly. Battle Zone was released in 1980. There's probably earlier too.

  7. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    In message
    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > On 15 Aug, 22:08, Philip Green wrote:
    > > Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five

    > Thanks for the tip. I missed the first five.
    > This is the sort of stuff i like and it is the last of six next week.
    > Channel five are shrinking violets when it comes to publicizing
    > programs but without paying 9.99 a month I got this via Google
    >
    > http://library.digiguide.com/lib/uk-...6/Documentary/
    >
    > I did like that game.

    The reference to 9.99 per month intrigues me. What's that about?

    --

    Thanks and regards,
    Philip.

  8. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On 17 Aug, 09:04, Philip Green wrote:

    > The reference to 9.99 per month intrigues me. What's that about?

    DigiGuide is a subscription service that costs 9.99 A YEAR not a
    month.
    I got that wrong - I thought it seemed a bit expensive. :-)

    I could not get that screen from the free DigiGuide but I found it on
    Google's search.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Geoff.

  9. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > On 17 Aug, 09:04, Philip Green wrote:
    >
    >> The reference to 9.99 per month intrigues me. What's that about?

    > DigiGuide is a subscription service that costs 9.99 A YEAR not a
    > month.
    > I got that wrong - I thought it seemed a bit expensive. :-)
    >
    > I could not get that screen from the free DigiGuide but I found it on
    > Google's search.

    'course, if you have a digital tv (or settop box), you can call up listings
    for every channel for the next week or 2 (depending).

  10. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    In message <5e0c690b-f1bf-4891-bdfe-0125317f78e2@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>
    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > On 17 Aug, 09:04, Philip Green wrote:
    >
    > > The reference to 9.99 per month intrigues me. What's that about?

    > DigiGuide is a subscription service that costs 9.99 A YEAR not a
    > month.
    > I got that wrong - I thought it seemed a bit expensive. :-)

    That would certainly put me off. I took out a subscription when I set up my
    satellite set. I live outside the UK and printed guides are very expensive
    here.

    Digiguide can also be set up to warn users when a certain programme is going
    to be on and/or certain words, names appear in the description of a
    programme. I'm not on the make here; if I had wanted to gain converts and
    credit I would have posted the link that gets me 60 days free extra
    subscription for every referral who takes out a sub.

    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > Geoff.

    This semed to be the place to post it (along with comp.sys.acorn).
    You're welcome.

    regards,
    Philip.

  11. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    In message
    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > 'course, if you have a digital tv (or settop box), you can call up listings
    > for every channel for the next week or 2 (depending).

    A settop box won't search programme names and descriptions for all films with
    your favourite thespian or subject and warn you when they will be showing.

    --

    Thanks and regards,
    Philip.

  12. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:28:57 -0700, DanSolo wrote:

    > On Aug 16, 11:13 pm, Jules
    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:08:23 +0200, Philip Green wrote:
    >> > In the early 1980s, two
    >> > pioneering Cambridge undergraduates set out to achieve the seemingly
    >> > impossible task of developing the world's first 3-D computer game.

    >> Ant Attack? :-)

    > Hardly. Battle Zone was released in 1980. There's probably earlier too.

    Hence the smiley :-) Maze War (1974) is generally considered the
    first*, but I was trying to come up with an early one from the 80s which
    wasn't Elite (which I believe is what these TV people seem to be claiming
    as the first) - good call on Battle Zone.

    * and I suspect there was earlier. One of the things that I've learned
    over the years is that when it comes to computers, it's pretty pointless
    trying to prove a 'first'. Ideas and concepts tend to appear almost in
    parallel across the globe, and often record of the early ones lay
    'undiscovered' in obscure documentation - even when it does come to light,
    no amount of proof is going to change the accepted picture of what
    happened...

    cheers

    Jules

  13. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:32:34 -0500 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Jules:

    > Hence the smiley :-) Maze War (1974) is generally considered the
    > first*, but I was trying to come up with an early one from the 80s which
    > wasn't Elite (which I believe is what these TV people seem to be claiming
    > as the first) - good call on Battle Zone.

    3D Monster Maze?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  14. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 Philip Green wrote:

    >A settop box won't search programme names and descriptions for all films with
    >your favourite thespian or subject and warn you when they will be showing.

    Unless it's a TiVo

    --
    Kev
    "Teenage girls often have babies fathered by men."

  15. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:31:51 +0100, Chris Young wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:32:34 -0500 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Jules:
    >
    >> Hence the smiley :-) Maze War (1974) is generally considered the
    >> first*, but I was trying to come up with an early one from the 80s which
    >> wasn't Elite (which I believe is what these TV people seem to be claiming
    >> as the first) - good call on Battle Zone.

    > 3D Monster Maze?

    That works, too.

    Mind you, someone quoted the wording elsewhere earlier and it claimed that
    Elite was the first 3D game created in a bedroom, so maybe all the
    previous 3D games don't count

  16. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    In article , Chris Young says...

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 to MC Jules:
    >
    >> Hence the smiley :-) Maze War (1974) is generally considered the
    >> first*, but I was trying to come up with an early one from the 80s which
    >> wasn't Elite (which I believe is what these TV people seem to be claiming
    >> as the first) - good call on Battle Zone.

    >3D Monster Maze?

    I think they're probably being a bit picky on the exact definition. First 3d
    computer game that used a true XYZ co-ordinate system to represent 3d space,
    instead of a scaled sprites to simulate 3d ??

    Even then Battlezone definitely had that beat. Weren't there Battlezone clones
    before 1984 and looking at the publication date did "3D star strike" beat elite
    to market as well ?

    Perhaps it should be "First 3D computer game for the BBC model B called Elite."

    - James

    --
    ------------------------------
    JrokLand http://www.jrok.com

  17. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:59:36 -0700, jrok wrote:
    > Perhaps it should be "First 3D computer game for the BBC model B called Elite."

    The cynic in me says it's more likely "3D game that we can find lots
    of information about using google, and which happens to be early enough
    such that we can claim it as a first and few people will know otherwise" -
    in other words, someone's being plain lazy, which doesn't bode well for
    the rest of the programme content.

    Bah, humbug. I'm glad I can't get C5 here.

  18. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:20:02 -0500, Jules
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:59:36 -0700, jrok wrote:
    >> Perhaps it should be "First 3D computer game for the BBC model B called Elite."

    >The cynic in me says it's more likely "3D game that we can find lots
    >of information about using google, and which happens to be early enough
    >such that we can claim it as a first and few people will know otherwise" -
    >in other words, someone's being plain lazy, which doesn't bode well for
    >the rest of the programme content.
    >
    >Bah, humbug. I'm glad I can't get C5 here.

    I can though. Shall I tape it?

  19. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > On 15 Aug, 22:08, Philip Green wrote:
    > > Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five

    > Thanks for the tip. I missed the first five.
    > This is the sort of stuff i like and it is the last of six next week.

    I've just watched episode 4, downloaded via uknova.com. It was all
    about the race to launch the first UK mobile phone network (BT versus
    Racal Vodaphone). Very interesting it was too.
    --
    Slower Than You

  20. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:59:36 -0700, jrok wrote:

    > In article , Chris Young says...
    >>
    >>On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 to MC Jules:
    >>
    >>> Hence the smiley :-) Maze War (1974) is generally considered the
    >>> first*, but I was trying to come up with an early one from the 80s
    >>> which wasn't Elite (which I believe is what these TV people seem to be
    >>> claiming as the first) - good call on Battle Zone.

    >>3D Monster Maze?

    > I think they're probably being a bit picky on the exact definition.
    > First 3d computer game that used a true XYZ co-ordinate system to
    > represent 3d space, instead of a scaled sprites to simulate 3d ??

    If pseudo 3D is allowed, then the vector game 'baseball' running on the
    IBM AN/FSQ-7 was both the first 3D game, and the first networked computer
    game. That was in 1956.

    On google I found a Chinese site selling shoes, watches, and computer
    peripherals including the AN/FSQ-7. Delivery is $50, but I think that is
    quite cheap, considering. I wonder if it comes with the generator
    blockhouse?

    > Even then Battlezone definitely had that beat. Weren't there Battlezone
    > clones before 1984 and looking at the publication date did "3D star
    > strike" beat elite to market as well ?
    >
    > Perhaps it should be "First 3D computer game for the BBC model B called
    > Elite."
    >
    > - James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast