British computer games industry history on channel 5 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on British computer games industry history on channel 5 - Sinclair ; "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message news:iknbo5-2q6.ln1@ponder.sky.com... > > I *think* I have a few gems on the tapes I've not managed to find online > anywhere... Me too, but then I'm the kind of guy who to this day still ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 57 of 57

  1. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message

    > I *think* I have a few gems on the tapes I've not managed to find online
    > anywhere...

    Me too, but then I'm the kind of guy who to this day still buys old VHS
    tapes. I can't help it, I'm just addicted to obscure movies, and some of
    them have never appeared anywhere on DVD (well, except eBay, where they're
    just DVDs burned from old tapes anyway). The collection includes the
    absolute turkey "Che" (a biopic of Che Guevara starring Omar Sharif as Che
    and Jack Palance as Fidel Castro - how can you not love it?), the formerly
    banned Michael Collins documentary "Hang Up Your Brightest Colours" (Ken
    Griffith is the greatest thing to come from Wales, ever), "Warhead" (David
    Jansen has to stop those wacky Palestinians nuking Israel!), and of course
    who can forget the classic "Diary of an Erotic Murderess"?

    And don't even get me started on the crap Italian post-apocalyptic Mad Max 2
    rip-offs from the early 80s - I can pretty much fill a couple of shelves
    with those films alone.

    Len
    --
    If replying, my address after the @ should
    be replaced with freeserve then .co.uk

  2. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > but as far as I've been able to make out, the first
    > *computer* game was Noughts and Crosses on the Cambridge EDSAC in 1952
    > (which, just to confuse matters, used that machine's CRT-based memory
    > monitors to display the board, which *may* be the first instance of a
    > more-or-less real-time memory-mapped picture produced by a computer - I
    > haven't really looked into that, and whether it had any precedent).

    it's certainly a game, and the crt tube memory looks a lot like a vidoe
    display!

  3. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On 15 Aug, 22:08, Philip Green wrote:
    > Brits Who Made The Modern World showing on five
    >
    > Time: 19:30 to 20:00 (BST).
    > When: Friday 22nd August on five

    Available now from UKNova.

  4. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:15:22 +0200, Philip Green
    wrote:

    >In message <4ctja41u0pp0v207dqeuvfaqtvqspvmlsv@4ax.com>
    > Lister wrote:
    >

    >> >Bah, humbug. I'm glad I can't get C5 here.
    >> >

    >> I can though. Shall I tape it?

    >TAPE?
    >
    >That's going waaayyy back to the '80s.

    Well, I don't have a DVD recorder.

  5. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Aug 26, 8:31 pm, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > Available now from UKNova.

    Shiver me timbers.

  6. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    http://www.uknova.com

    > Shiver me timbers.

    Also available from

    http://thebox.bz

    who point to all 6 episodes and gave me an account straight away.

    Anatomy of an Inventor is there too...

    Avast ye landlubbers!

  7. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    > > > Available now from UKNova.
    >
    > http://www.uknova.com
    >
    > > Shiver me timbers.

    > Also available from
    >
    > http://thebox.bz

    No confirmation mail ever arrived from those sites when I tried to
    register. Maybe it'll turn up on mininova or some other open site soon.

  8. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On 28 Aug, 20:49, DanSolo wrote:

    > No confirmation mail ever arrived from those sites when I tried to
    > register. Maybe it'll turn up on mininova or some other open site soon.

    Daren who found the Five link has discovered this

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67435786&hl=en

    I don't know how he does it.

  9. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    On Aug 29, 3:04 am, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > Daren who found the Five link has discovered this
    >
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67435786&hl=en
    >
    > I don't know how he does it.

    Well give my parrot scurvy and keelhaul my mother. Doubloons are in
    the post me hearty.

  10. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DanSolo wrote:
    >> On Aug 24, 1:51 pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>> One of these days I'm going to scan through the stacks of tapes I've got to
    >>> find interesting things and maybe get a tv capture card to encode them.

    >> I bet it'll be just like my old copied music tapes. Half I don't seem
    >> to give a crap about now, the other half I downloaded in a night. At
    >> better quality.
    >> It's true I tells ya.

    > I *think* I have a few gems on the tapes I've not managed to find online
    > anywhere...
    >
    > I might even (god, I hope I do) have a copy of the carling black label
    > advert that is absolutely nowhere online but is an all time classic advert.
    > cowboys lasso a bloke who then drags them through the next 3 adverts.

    Well, I now have a capture card but it seems I don't need to seek out a
    certain advert anymore... cos finally
    Fanfare please...

    Those people who remembers it when no-one else did...
    Those people who thought they'd gone mental remembering something that
    didn't exist... But remember it so clearly...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toek6CdldC8

    Seems a few people upped it since my last marathon websearchything for that
    advert. Quite a few others on there of course, including the infamous
    launderette ad.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  11. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    DanSolo wrote:
    > Shiver me timbers.

    Scissor me timbers!

  12. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Well, I now have a capture card but it seems I don't need to seek out
    > a certain advert anymore... cos finally
    > Fanfare please...

    Ah... They really don't make 'em like that any more, do they?

    --

    (O)enone

  13. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    "\(O\)enone" wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Well, I now have a capture card but it seems I don't need to seek out
    >> a certain advert anymore... cos finally
    >> Fanfare please...

    > Ah... They really don't make 'em like that any more, do they?

    Alas no.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  14. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    "fuzzix" wrote ...

    > DanSolo wrote:
    >> Shiver me timbers.

    > Scissor me timbers!

    Well, scissor yer members!
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Global warming is caused by the sun.
    Duh!

  15. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > "\(O\)enone" wrote:
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>> Well, I now have a capture card but it seems I don't need to seek out
    >>> a certain advert anymore... cos finally
    >>> Fanfare please...

    >> Ah... They really don't make 'em like that any more, do they?
    >>

    > Alas no.

    what year was that advert made, it certainly has similarities to the
    finale of a certain comedy movie...

    one of them *must* have nicked the idea shirley

  16. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Guesser wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>> Ah... They really don't make 'em like that any more, do they?
    >>>

    >> Alas no.

    > what year was that advert made, it certainly has similarities to the
    > finale of a certain comedy movie...
    >
    > one of them *must* have nicked the idea shirley

    Which comedy movie? Blazing Saddles?
    (where they break through to different movie sets)?
    That came first.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  17. Re: British computer games industry history on channel 5

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Which comedy movie? Blazing Saddles?
    > (where they break through to different movie sets)?
    > That came first.

    You wouldn't be expecting the corporate propaganda industry to come up
    with it's own original ideas, would you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3