FPGA? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on FPGA? - Sinclair ; Hi, Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system. Chris...

  1. FPGA?

    Hi,

    Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    Chris

  2. Re: FPGA?

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, xc8/bRONx wrote:

    > Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    What you mean like this: http://zxgate.sourceforge.net/ ?

    Or do you mean something else?

    --
    Please remove all-your-clothes before replying.

  3. Re: FPGA?

    I have no idea what one of dem is anyway, sounds like my name a bit here.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Tim Fardell" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, xc8/bRONx wrote:
    >
    >> Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    > What you mean like this: http://zxgate.sourceforge.net/ ?
    >
    > Or do you mean something else?
    >
    > --
    > Please remove all-your-clothes before replying.

  4. Re: FPGA?

    On Jul 28, 3:39*pm, Tim Fardell clot...@virgin.net> wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, xc8/bRONx wrote:
    > > Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    > What you mean like this:http://zxgate.sourceforge.net/?
    >
    > Or do you mean something else?

    Hi,

    Just I was curious if there is anything ready product like minimig
    (amiga a500 in a fpga) for example..

  5. Re: WT-FPGA?

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), "xc8/bRONx"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    I'm wondering what this mysterious "FPGA" is -- some kind of golf
    simulator?
    --
    My confused, I'm God

  6. Re: WT-FPGA?

    "Robert Baker" wrote ...
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), "xc8/bRONx"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    > I'm wondering what this mysterious "FPGA" is -- some kind of golf
    > simulator?

    FPGA = Field Programmable Gate Array (unless I'm just making that up ;-)).

    A large enough FPGA can be programmed to be a Z80, 6502, or whatever you want
    it to be. One of the larger FPGA's should be able to hold an entire ZX81.
    Just attach a keyboard and go!
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Change is inevitable,
    except from vending machines!

  7. Re: FPGA?

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, xc8/bRONx wrote:

    > On Jul 28, 3:39*pm, Tim Fardell > clot...@virgin.net> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, xc8/bRONx wrote:
    > > > Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    > > What you mean like this:http://zxgate.sourceforge.net/?
    > >
    > > Or do you mean something else?

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just I was curious if there is anything ready product like minimig
    > (amiga a500 in a fpga) for example..

    ZXGate is the only project I know of, but others on here may know more.

    That said, I can't seem to download the actual VHDL code or documentation
    for the ZXGate project - I get 'no route to host' from here when trying to
    follow the links to the CVS repository. A bit of Googling suggests others
    are also struggling to actually find the files.

    In terms of a ready product, I don't know of one :-(

    --
    Please remove all-your-clothes before replying.

  8. Re: WT-FPGA?

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:07:45 +0100, Robert Baker
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), "xc8/bRONx"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Just I m wondering if there is any zx FPGA system.

    >I'm wondering what this mysterious "FPGA" is -- some kind of golf
    >simulator?

    I thought that too!

  9. Re: WT-FPGA?

    On 2008-07-30, Robert Baker wrote:
    > I'm wondering what this mysterious "FPGA" is -- some kind of golf
    > simulator?

    Conceptually, in Spectrum terms, it's a ULA. But a modern version. The
    Spectrum ULA could only be configured in the factory (using a metal mask
    that connected the elements of the gate array together). An FPGA is (as
    someone else has said) a field programmable gate array. This means you
    don't need a factory to configure one - they can be configured 'in the
    field'. All you need is a programming cable.

    A modern FPGA can have many more gates than the old Ferranti ULA, too -
    enough gates that you can create a CPU with it *and* all the other
    functions that an 8 bit computer had. Some FPGAs have enough gates that
    you can make them into 32 bit processors.

    There are a number of different types of programmable logic devices
    around, here's a brief description of them:

    PLA, PAL or GAL - A small logic array, usually fairly limited in
    function. They are field programmable, but some are only 'one time'
    programmable. Usually just a small handful of gates. Later model
    Spectrums contained a PAL. Often require 'high voltage' programming
    methods and a special programmer. Lattice Semiconductor was a notable
    pioneer of these type of devices.

    ULA - Uncommitted logic array by Ferranti - now obsolete, only factory
    configurable. Used by many 8 bit machines in the 80s for custom chips
    like the Spectrum ULA.

    CPLD - Complex programmable logic device - Bigger than a PAL or GAL,
    smaller than an FPGA. Up to a few thousand gates. The Xilinx XC95144 as
    an example is about the same as a Spectrum ULA in terms of number of
    usable gates. They are field programmable with a simple JTAG cable.
    Unlike PAL/GAL chips, they can be programmed in-circuit, i.e. you can
    solder them to the PCB of the device you are making, then program it
    (and reprogram it) without needing to remove it. The CPLD is 'self
    contained', using internal flash to store the gate array configuration.
    Xilinx and Altera are the best known manufacturers of CPLDs.

    FPGA - From mid thousands of gates on upwards. Generally, use static RAM
    for configuration, so need an external ROM to work, otherwise, like a
    bigger version of a CPLD. Again, Xilinx and Altera are dominant in the
    FPGA market.

    --
    From the sunny Isle of Man.