Multiface questions. - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Multiface questions. - Sinclair ; Hi, Couple of questions about the Multiface.... I have both an original Multiface, for the 16/48K spectrum and the later Multiface +3, for the +2A/+3 but have a couple of questions... What was the difference between the original multiface and ...

  1. Multiface questions.

    Hi,

    Couple of questions about the Multiface....

    I have both an original Multiface, for the 16/48K spectrum and the later
    Multiface +3, for the +2A/+3 but have a couple of questions...

    What was the difference between the original multiface and the multiface
    128, as used on the original Sinclair Spectrum 128, was it just an updated
    rom ? If so I presume that I can just drop a Multiface 128 rom in my
    original unit and I would be able to use it with both the 128 and the 48 ?

    Where there different rom versions of the MF+3 available ? as when I ask
    the MF+3 to save to disk it gives me an error ? Where there alternate
    versions available for different disk interfaces ? If this is the case is
    it possible that I have the wrong version (for my +3 internal drive) ? If
    so does anyone have a copy of the version that should work with the
    standard +3 drive ?

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  2. Re: Multiface questions.

    The Multiface 128 used different ports because the ones in the
    original clashed with the paging. You can use an MF128 on a 48K but
    you can't use a MF1 with a 128. The MF3 adds support for the +3 disk
    system.

  3. Re: Multiface questions.

    OwenBot wrote:
    > The Multiface 128 used different ports because the ones in the
    > original clashed with the paging. You can use an MF128 on a 48K but
    > you can't use a MF1 with a 128. The MF3 adds support for the +3 disk
    > system.

    Don't forget the MF128 had the superhypersave (which I think the MF1 lacked)
    and the ability to snap the entire 128k RAM.

    Think there were other differences in functionality too.
    (the hypersave was the one that saved at a very high speed, but wouldn't
    allow loading without the MF128 plugged in)
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: Multiface questions.

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:57:01 +0000 (UTC) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Prime:

    > Where there different rom versions of the MF+3 available ?

    It's going back a bit, but yes, ISTR there were.

    > as when I ask
    > the MF+3 to save to disk it gives me an error ? Where there alternate
    > versions available for different disk interfaces ? If this is the case is
    > it possible that I have the wrong version (for my +3 internal drive) ? If
    > so does anyone have a copy of the version that should work with the
    > standard +3 drive ?

    They should all work with the standard internal drive, although
    somewhere deep in the back of my mind I have a vague recollection that
    the manual mentioned you needed a certain revision to do this.

    Which ROM version do you have?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: Multiface questions.

    And of course unless you have m3 unlock, you cannot load mf3 files back
    without the unit present.

    I think the main problem with mf3 on the 2A was the error because of the
    non existence of the disc controller chip.
    The planned and designed add on interface for the 2A was basically the add
    on disc unit for the CPC with a different interface edge connector. I know
    this is the case as someone modified the CPC one to work, I saw a demo.

    I'm sure you are also aware, that with a bit of extra wiring on the 2A port
    and a +2 or 128K rom and removal of the other rom, you could have an old
    +2/128 in minutes, but you lost the centronics port unless you wrote your
    own software for the hardware.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "OwenBot" wrote in message
    > The Multiface 128 used different ports because the ones in the
    > original clashed with the paging. You can use an MF128 on a 48K but
    > you can't use a MF1 with a 128. The MF3 adds support for the +3 disk
    > system.

  6. Re: Multiface questions.

    On Jul 28, 8:10*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

    > I'm sure you are also aware, that with a bit of extra *wiring on the 2Aport
    > and a +2 or 128K rom *and removal of the other rom, you could have an old
    > +2/128 in minutes, but you lost the centronics port unless you wrote your
    > own software for the hardware.

    Although with a bit of hacking you could lift the routine from the +3
    ROMs and replicate it in RAM with a bit of channels and streams code.
    In fact I may do that at some point, assuming the centronics port is
    emulated in FUSE.

  7. Re: Multiface questions.

    Andrew Halliwell schrieb:
    > OwenBot wrote:
    >> The Multiface 128 used different ports because the ones in the
    >> original clashed with the paging. You can use an MF128 on a 48K but
    >> you can't use a MF1 with a 128. The MF3 adds support for the +3 disk
    >> system.

    > Don't forget the MF128 had the superhypersave (which I think the MF1 lacked)
    > and the ability to snap the entire 128k RAM.
    >
    > Think there were other differences in functionality too.
    > (the hypersave was the one that saved at a very high speed, but wouldn't
    > allow loading without the MF128 plugged in)

    The Multiface 128 can be hidden from system via software, because some
    Spectrum software was crashing with Multiface One for copy protection
    reasons. Later Versions of Multiface One had a switch to disable the
    Kempston joystick Interface, which the Multiface 128 lacks.
    On my Multiface 128 box I can read following: For Spectrum 48K/128K/+2.

  8. Re: Multiface questions.

    "Chris Young" wrote in

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:57:01 +0000 (UTC) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair
    > were rappin' to MC Prime:
    > the MF+3 to save to disk it gives me an error ? Where there alternate
    >> versions available for different disk interfaces ? If this is the
    >> case is it possible that I have the wrong version (for my +3 internal
    >> drive) ? If so does anyone have a copy of the version that should
    >> work with the standard +3 drive ?

    > They should all work with the standard internal drive, although
    > somewhere deep in the back of my mind I have a vague recollection that
    > the manual mentioned you needed a certain revision to do this.
    >
    > Which ROM version do you have?

    Acording to the message I get when I press the red button V3.C

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  9. Re: Multiface questions.

    Prime wrote in

    > Hi,
    > Where there different rom versions of the MF+3 available ? as when I
    > ask the MF+3 to save to disk it gives me an error ? Where there
    > alternate versions available for different disk interfaces ? If this
    > is the case is it possible that I have the wrong version (for my +3
    > internal drive) ? If so does anyone have a copy of the version that
    > should work with the standard +3 drive ?

    Ok, I solved this one, I was using an old incompatible version of the +3e
    roms, tried with the original Amstrad set and it works ok, looking at the
    +3e homepage seems this was a known bug that has been fixed, so off to
    download the latest version......

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  10. Re: Multiface questions.

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:53:48 +0000 (UTC) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Prime:

    > > Which ROM version do you have?

    > Acording to the message I get when I press the red button V3.C

    I'm sure mine was later than that, F maybe.

    I see you've solved the problem now anyway, so probably not relevant
    any more!