Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K) - Sinclair ; http://cgi.ebay.at/Wafadrive-Cartrid...QQcmdZViewItem This is a Rotronics Wafadrive Microstreamer cartridge labeled with 64K but formated as 80K. Not tested because the current owner does not have a Wafadrive anymore....

  1. Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    http://cgi.ebay.at/Wafadrive-Cartrid...QQcmdZViewItem

    This is a Rotronics Wafadrive Microstreamer cartridge labeled with 64K
    but formated as 80K. Not tested because the current owner does not have
    a Wafadrive anymore.

  2. Re: Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:39:27 UTC, LCD
    wrote:

    > http://cgi.ebay.at/Wafadrive-Cartrid...QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > This is a Rotronics Wafadrive Microstreamer cartridge labeled with 64K
    > but formated as 80K. Not tested because the current owner does not have
    > a Wafadrive anymore.

    I can't believe such things still exist :-)

    I remember a review made by SuperSINC (one of the most famous
    magazines Sinclair-only here in Italy), which gave a not good
    judgement on the Wafadrive, particularly because of some issues with
    the WOS (stands for Wafadrive Operating System, not World Of Spectrum
    ^__^) and the wafers.

    Mentore

  3. Re: Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    Mentore Siesto schrieb:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:39:27 UTC, LCD
    > wrote:
    >
    >> http://cgi.ebay.at/Wafadrive-Cartrid...QQcmdZViewItem
    >>
    >> This is a Rotronics Wafadrive Microstreamer cartridge labeled with 64K
    >> but formated as 80K. Not tested because the current owner does not have
    >> a Wafadrive anymore.

    > I can't believe such things still exist :-)
    >
    > I remember a review made by SuperSINC (one of the most famous
    > magazines Sinclair-only here in Italy), which gave a not good
    > judgement on the Wafadrive, particularly because of some issues with
    > the WOS (stands for Wafadrive Operating System, not World Of Spectrum
    > ^__^) and the wafers.
    >
    > Mentore

    Sure such stuff exists. It was mine before I gave it to the eBay profi :-).
    Unfortunaly I don't have the time to work with real Stuff anymore, and
    not enough space, so I'm currently selling some of the interfaces and
    keep only my old +D (which has also a problem with the operating system
    and chains sometimes the files up which causes a mess, especially if
    there is a erased file on the disc. Maybe there is a hotfix for this (I
    use a fixed system with fixes from Miles Kinsloch).
    Unfortunally I also sold my Microdrives (Brand new OUT OF THE SHOP with
    protective foil on the metall plate), 8 pieces with four extremly rare
    MD->MD connections some weeks ago. A 8 Kg packet full of Spectrum
    Hardware and originally sealed 3.5" DD discs was sent to UK.
    So I do not gave away my Stuff because I was not happy with it, but
    because I need the Space.
    One of the next items on ebay will be the Currah ÁSpeech (I wonder why
    emulators do not offer emulation of this...).

    LCD

  4. Re: Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    LCD wrote:
    > One of the next items on ebay will be the Currah ÁSpeech (I wonder why
    > emulators do not offer emulation of this...).

    Except for Spectaculator, Klive and WinZ80, you mean? :-)

    I think it's mostly because you have to either provide a big sample file
    (which is bloated, and technically unsatisfying) or emulate the obscure
    processor in the SP0256 speech chip, which is a lot of work for a
    gimmicky interface that no-one really used for anything interesting...

  5. Re: Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    Mentore Siesto wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:39:27 UTC, LCD
    > wrote:
    >
    > > http://cgi.ebay.at/Wafadrive-Cartrid...QQcmdZViewItem
    > >
    > > This is a Rotronics Wafadrive Microstreamer cartridge labeled with 64K
    > > but formated as 80K. Not tested because the current owner does not have
    > > a Wafadrive anymore.

    > I can't believe such things still exist :-)
    >
    > I remember a review made by SuperSINC (one of the most famous
    > magazines Sinclair-only here in Italy), which gave a not good
    > judgement on the Wafadrive, particularly because of some issues with
    > the WOS (stands for Wafadrive Operating System, not World Of Spectrum
    > ^__^) and the wafers.
    >
    > Mentore

    I would like to suggest that the WafaDrive was better then they wrote about.
    I used one on a TS2068 as well as the Oliger Disk interface. They played well together. The WafaDrive allowed me to program and use the Sinclair/Timex merge
    function as I developed programs. The Merge on the Oliger interface only allowed adding the to be merged coding at the end of any program one was 'merging' to.
    In all the work over the years I used the combination I never experienced any conflicts or 'Oh Crap' failures that were not a result of a stupid mistake on the
    part of a human. I only had 1 or 2 of the WafaDrive tapes fail of the 30+ I used over that time.

    Paul Holmgren
    Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy
    Hers: 05 PT GT R/T HO
    Hoosier Corps L#6

  6. Re: Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    Matthew Westcott schrieb:
    > LCD wrote:
    >> One of the next items on ebay will be the Currah ÁSpeech (I wonder why
    >> emulators do not offer emulation of this...).

    > Except for Spectaculator, Klive and WinZ80, you mean? :-)
    >
    > I think it's mostly because you have to either provide a big sample file
    > (which is bloated, and technically unsatisfying) or emulate the obscure
    > processor in the SP0256 speech chip, which is a lot of work for a
    > gimmicky interface that no-one really used for anything interesting...

    I did never used these emulators, but I will check them, and there was
    some games that used the Currah interface. One of them was Starbike if I
    remember correctly... Anyway, it is a nice feature to have ;-).

  7. Re: Wafadrive Cartridge 64K (80K)

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:34:14 UTC, Hp wrote:

    > Mentore Siesto wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:39:27 UTC, LCD
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > http://cgi.ebay.at/Wafadrive-Cartrid...QQcmdZViewItem
    > > >
    > > > This is a Rotronics Wafadrive Microstreamer cartridge labeled with 64K
    > > > but formated as 80K. Not tested because the current owner does not have
    > > > a Wafadrive anymore.

    > > I can't believe such things still exist :-)
    > >
    > > I remember a review made by SuperSINC (one of the most famous
    > > magazines Sinclair-only here in Italy), which gave a not good
    > > judgement on the Wafadrive, particularly because of some issues with
    > > the WOS (stands for Wafadrive Operating System, not World Of Spectrum
    > > ^__^) and the wafers.
    > >
    > > Mentore

    > I would like to suggest that the WafaDrive was better then they wrote about.

    Well, here's a partial correction.

    The reviewer (a real Spectrum "pasionario") wrote in the article that
    it could have been something strange in the model Rotronics gave him,
    and it was impossible to test more than the two cartridges included
    with the drive.

    In Italy however the Wafadrive had bad luck: this was due to the
    difficulty of finding the drive and (more important) the tapes.

    Mentore

+ Reply to Thread