Re: Any old iron^Wsilicon? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Re: Any old iron^Wsilicon? - Sinclair ; On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:52:44 +0100, Marc Wilson wrote: >From a mailing list: > >"** Please forward this email to colleagues who may be interested ** > >Preserving the Personal Computer >******************************** > > At the University of Salford ...

  1. Re: Any old iron^Wsilicon?

    wrote:

    >From a mailing list:
    >
    >"** Please forward this email to colleagues who may be interested **
    >
    >Preserving the Personal Computer
    >********************************
    >
    > At the University of Salford we have started (on a small scale) to
    >build a collection of vintage computers from the late 1970s onwards.
    >Our focus is very much on the personal/home computer and to date we have
    >examples of the Commodore PET, BBC Micro, Amstrad PCW, various old
    >laptops and moving to the even smaller scale, Psion organisers. We have
    >on occasion taken these out into public display where significant
    >interest has been generated with the younger ones wondering how anyone
    >could possibly work with something so primitive and the older ones
    >feeling very nostalgic and enjoying the opportunity to re-live some of
    >their early programming experiences.
    >
    > I believe that preserving examples of these early computers is
    >important but I also feel it important to ensure that they are preserved
    >in their working condition and made available for people to use and not
    >left to collect dust in a glass cabinet. Therefore, we are seeking help
    >from BCS members.
    >
    > In particular, we would like to know if anyone would be interested in
    >helping us develop our collection in terms of bringing the computers up
    >to full working order with appropriate software loaded and functioning
    >and then to be prepared to help staff exhibitions.
    >
    > We already run a very successful series of Family Telecommunications
    >Days where we put on an exhibition of telecommunications equipment,
    >demonstrations and experiments. When these are run at the Museum of
    >Science and Industry in Manchester we have been known to attract 1,000
    >people per day. Extending our exhibition to have a computing dimension
    >is certainly something we wish to achieve however, at present we lack
    >the people and time to do this.
    >
    > I am also keen to create a computing section under the 'history'
    >category of our website www.salfordphonesproject.co.uk. If you are
    >interested in getting involved them do please contact me.
    >
    > Should by any chance you have an old computer in the loft or at the
    >back of the garage and would like to donate it to our collection then we
    >would also like to hear from you.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Professor Nigel Linge, University of Salford
    >email: n.linge@salford.ac.uk
    >tel: 0161 295 4759
    >
    >www.salfordphonesproject.co.uk"

    You forgot to add CSS to this crosspost, so I've done it for you

  2. Re: Any old iron^Wsilicon?

    He is probably a Comode man.

    I suppose he might need a Sam.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Lister" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:52:44 +0100, Marc Wilson
    > wrote:
    >
    >>From a mailing list:
    >>
    >>"** Please forward this email to colleagues who may be interested **
    >>
    >>Preserving the Personal Computer
    >>********************************
    >>
    >> At the University of Salford we have started (on a small scale) to
    >>build a collection of vintage computers from the late 1970s onwards.
    >>Our focus is very much on the personal/home computer and to date we have
    >>examples of the Commodore PET, BBC Micro, Amstrad PCW, various old
    >>laptops and moving to the even smaller scale, Psion organisers. We have
    >>on occasion taken these out into public display where significant
    >>interest has been generated with the younger ones wondering how anyone
    >>could possibly work with something so primitive and the older ones
    >>feeling very nostalgic and enjoying the opportunity to re-live some of
    >>their early programming experiences.
    >>
    >> I believe that preserving examples of these early computers is
    >>important but I also feel it important to ensure that they are preserved
    >>in their working condition and made available for people to use and not
    >>left to collect dust in a glass cabinet. Therefore, we are seeking help
    >>from BCS members.
    >>
    >> In particular, we would like to know if anyone would be interested in
    >>helping us develop our collection in terms of bringing the computers up
    >>to full working order with appropriate software loaded and functioning
    >>and then to be prepared to help staff exhibitions.
    >>
    >> We already run a very successful series of Family Telecommunications
    >>Days where we put on an exhibition of telecommunications equipment,
    >>demonstrations and experiments. When these are run at the Museum of
    >>Science and Industry in Manchester we have been known to attract 1,000
    >>people per day. Extending our exhibition to have a computing dimension
    >>is certainly something we wish to achieve however, at present we lack
    >>the people and time to do this.
    >>
    >> I am also keen to create a computing section under the 'history'
    >>category of our website www.salfordphonesproject.co.uk. If you are
    >>interested in getting involved them do please contact me.
    >>
    >> Should by any chance you have an old computer in the loft or at the
    >>back of the garage and would like to donate it to our collection then we
    >>would also like to hear from you.
    >>
    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>Professor Nigel Linge, University of Salford
    >>email: n.linge@salford.ac.uk
    >>tel: 0161 295 4759
    >>
    >>www.salfordphonesproject.co.uk"

    > You forgot to add CSS to this crosspost, so I've done it for you

  3. Re: Any old iron^Wsilicon?

    "Brian Gaff" wrote ...

    > He is probably a Comode man.
    >
    > I suppose he might need a Sam.